Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mhoram, the High Lord, and the Man
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:29 pm 
Master Pilot

High Lord Mhoram was born to the Lords Variol and Tamarantha. He was an oracle, seeing into the future. He met Covenant as a young man, and a friendship was born. After the Unbelievers disappearance from the Land, Mhoram was sent to the Spoiled Plains, and met samadhi-Raver. He returned to Revelstone with new knowledge. He and his fellow Lords under High Lord Elena prepared for a war with the Grey Slayer. Covenant was resummoned, and went with High Lord Elena to seek the Seventh Ward. Mhoram went with Hile Troy to confront the armies of Despite. The army was ravaged, and Mhoram and the others fled to Garroting Deep. There Mhoram used his extensive knowledge of songs to summon Caerroil Wildwood, nad the Forestal destroyed the enemy army. Elena was killed at Melenkurion Skyweir, and the Unbeliever departed, and Mhoram became the new High Lord after over 47 years of service. He and his less-experienced Lords prepared for the Siege of Revelstone. After the Lord Callindrill died at Revelwood, Mhoram summoned the ur-Lord to the Land again. He "declined" the invitation to help defend the Land, and Mhoram was left with the tedious task of defending Lord's Keep without wild magic. Mhoram defeated and killed samadhi-Raver in his Giant body with the krill. Covenants refusal to aid the Land at Revelstone worked in the long run, for the resurgent Saltheart Foamfollower and Triock summoned Covenant themselves, and he journeyed to Fouls Crehce, and "defeated" Lord Foul. Mhoram and his Land lived in happiness and peace for a thousand years. But then, the Clave was formed, and they worshipped the Sunbane phenomenon, and Mhoram due to the false stories a Raver formed about him. Mhoram and Covenants other Dead formed a plan to defeat Lord Foul, which they secretly fed to Covenant when he returned to the Land 3,000 years after the Great Siege of Revelstone. Their plan worked, and Covenant defeated Foul(* will he return?*) and Mhorams soul was at rest.
The question we are all asking.... Will High Lord Mhoram be back for the Third Chronicles?! Your affectionate uncle, Screwtape<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Mhoram, the High Lord, and the Man
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:06 am 
Master Pilot

Your thoughts on HLM? Never did He make two things the same; never did He utter one word twice. After earths, not better earths but beasts; after beasts not better beasts, but spirits. After a falling, not a recovery, but a new creation, not a third but the mode of change itself is changed forever. Blessed be He!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:15 am 
Master Pilot

He 4saw great tidings and trouble coming up the river as Foamy and TC neared! Oracle and visonary! 2 cool!!!--I still want 2 kno what, xactly, High Lord Prothall was doing in the north at that time! Not much up there...scouting Grimmerhorde, perhaps?
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:43 pm 
Master Pilot

Maybe....lets take a look on the map at the main index of this forum! Either that, or going to talk to some villagers, family perhaps? Never did He make two things the same; never did He utter one word twice. After earths, not better earths but beasts; after beasts not better beasts, but spirits. After a falling, not a recovery, but a new creation, not a third but the mode of change itself is changed forever. Blessed be He!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:02 am 
Master Pilot

I like Mhoram because he's so human. He has power, and he can be a formidable opponent - but he's not invincible. He has doubts. He isn't always sure of himself. He can be tired and desperate and afraid, but the fact that he is mortal and knows it doesn't make him seem weak - it just endears him to me. He's human, with human weakness and human fallibility, yet he still manages to endure assaults and prevail against all obstacles.

Mhoram is very cool.

~Foamy~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:08 am 
Master Pilot

Mhoram is one of my favourite TCTC characters .. I like him because he is so just. He is well-balanced and fair minded. He is a character I would model myself after without compromise. He is virtuous, integritous, possesses humanity, he is wise and noble. His percipience is a great gift to him .. he reads situations and people well .. and moreover his gift enabled him an insight into the future or into future events.

I love his fair mindedness most of all .. he is indeed a most noble character! A champion indeed!!

health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:17 pm 
Master Pilot

I agree with what everyone said above about Mhoram. Truly a man of integrity. He is one of my favorite characters in TCTC.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:39 pm 
Master Pilot

Mhoram is truly empowered by the Land! In tune w/it but with very human qualities. The strongest of a dying breed of New Lords. Maybe not as glamorous as the Old High Lords, but compelling and amazing considering what little lore he has 2 work with. Truly a savior of the Land! The backbone of Revelstone! Confronter of Ravers, friend 2 the Waynhyn!

Not only is LF a complete abomination 2 the Land in TWL but the na-mhoram is a total preversion 2 everything he stood 4! And a credit 2 him, in an odd sort of way..."give back something broken..."
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:26 am 
Master Pilot

Ugh, the na-Mhoram - that made me so angry. I was absolutely furious that such a perversion of everything the Land once stood for should be named after Mhoram, who was so devoted to the service and preservation of the Land. :">

~Foamy~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:11 pm 
Master Pilot

Me, too! Covenant felt the same way... The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:51 am 
Master Pilot

yeah what an irony!! .. and it is like getting something pure back and it is broke .. corrupted .. perverse .. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:17 pm 
Master Pilot

I think that the Raver chose that name to mock the Lord who had slain his body many, many years ago... The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:24 am 
Master Pilot

yes I am sure you are right .. there is that sense of mockery and irreverance in the use of the High Lords name ..

yeah but ravers are constantly losing bodies .. and jumping into new ones health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:15 pm 
Lady Scryer

Isn't that the same Raver who tried to take him over when Mhoram did his scouting trip near Foul's Creche? The one who was unsuccessful because Mhoram was too strong? I think that there is definately a personal grudge here! Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:19 pm 
Master Pilot

The very same, Im afraid. Further up, and further in!<i></i>