Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: About leprosy...and did TC live in Texas????
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 9:13 pm 
Master Pilot

(I copied this from a post I just did on Kevin's Watch) Did Joan have an aggravated yeast infection? Did TC pet an armadillo? I know y'all r laughing ur asses of right now, but the little research I did in2 leprosy and autism raises some interesting subjects, of course we also need a Dr. 2 help sort out my ignorance--aminabhavin are u out there? Aren't u a Dr.? Well we know how rare cases of leprosy r in the United States but my research indicates that the largest incidences found in the US occur in Texas and Louisiana. They have also found the same bateria that causes Hansen's disease in armadillos! I'm not kidding...We also don't kno the xact type of leprosy TC had--there r 3 types: Regular Hansen's causes dark hue pigmentosis, some loss of nerve feeling, severe dry skin and rashes. Tuberculoid leprosy causes nerve thickening and effects the eyes and worse. Lepomtous leprosy is the very worst and twists the body, digits and body parts fall off. @ the varying degrees the worse the case the more the leper stinks and all cases can infect the brain. Right now they r being very sucessful in arresting and curing leprosy, if caught in the early stages, around the world. A large part of this is MDT (multidrug therapy) 2 of the major types of drugs used in this theraphy r antibiotics and DDS (diamino-diphenyl-sulfor). TC's Dr. @ the leprosarim hinted that DDS and synthetic-antibiotics was being used in the attempt 2 arrest his leprosy. It seemed as if all of TC's treatments may have been going fine, he was doing his VSE, taking his medication and believed (from what we gather when he talks about it) he had the Tuberculoid form. Now let me pose this: remember TCTC was written in 76-78 and the MDT was very new back then...and not always successful, also now in the MDT regular antibiotics r being used, not synthetics. Also remember this: DDS was relatively new as well--DDS is only manufactured in China and it's original use was as a very strong accelerant for epoxy resins--4 polymers. In other words in it's original form it is a carcinogenic, dangerous chemical used 4 making pipefitting glue stronger!!! I'm not proposing here that the Dr.s misdiagnosed TC's leprosy (tho of course anything's possible). But mayb TC had the lesser form of Hansen's disease and the dose of DDS was improperly formulated and it's mixture w/synthetic antibiotics was off balance, as well. Synthetic drugs in a wide application were also relatively new back then, as well. Some people, not many but some, can develope very serious allergic reations 2 any synthesized drug. Just as an xample: b4 my hand surgery my Dr. perscribed Hydro-Codone--I'm got very irritable, had wicked headaches, vomited and had 2 leave work. Then we went on a camping trip and when I walked the dogs up a hill I really thought I was having a heart attack! When I got back I vomited every time a ate or drank anything and passed out 4 hours @ a time. When I stopped taking the drug-everything cleared up. Also, remember that TC suffered from vertigo as well and studies indicate that there is a link btween earlier synthetic based antibiotics administered in improper doses with the causation of vertigo like factors:
<b><i>Quote:</i></b> The aminoglycoside antibiotics are the first ototoxic agents which highlighted the problem of drug-induced hearing and vestibular loss. They are highly water soluble compounds and their charge prevents entry into cells via diffusion across the plasma membrane. The incidence of clinical and functional hearing loss due to aminoglycosides has been significantly diminished because some of the newer derivatives have lower ototoxic potential and perhaps efficient monitoring of serum levels of drugs have allowed for better dosing schedules. However, the problem is a significant one as they are still widely used in the treatment of serious gram-negative infections as pointed out by Schacht.69 The concentration of aminoglycoside in plasma produced by the initial or loading dose is dependent only on the volume of the distribution of the drug. Since the elimination of aminoglycosides is almost entirely dependent on the kidney, a linear relationship exists between the concentration of creatinine in plasma and the half-life of all aminoglycosides in patients with moderately compromised renal function. In anephric patients, the half-life varies from 20 to 40 times that determined in normal individuals. Because the incidence of nephrotoxicity and ototoxicity is related to the concentration to which an aminoglycoside accumulates, it is critical to reduce the maintenance dosage of these drugs in patients with impaired renal function.2
The mechanism of oto- and vestibular toxicity has been elusive. Mechanisms for acute and chronic toxicity may be different. It appears that there is an antagonistic relationship between aminoglycosides and calcium which can block the acute aminoglycoside-induced depression of microphonic potentials experimentally.70 A number of potential synaptic mechanisms are postulated.69 For example, streptomycin blocks the postsynaptic actions of excitatory amino acids on primary afferents in the vestibular system, blocks the glutamate-gated ionophore at the crayfish neuromuscular junction, and antagonizes quisqualate-induced excitation of cortical neurons. The chronic toxicity of aminoglycosides appears to target exclusively the kidney, cochlea, and the vestibular system. Aminoglycosides have been reported to affect a wide variety of intracellular reactions which are probably responsible for the permanent deficits of chronic toxicity. DNA, RNA, and protein synthesis, energy metabolism and ion transport are affected as well as synthesis or degredation of prostaglandins, gangliosides, mucopolysaccharides, and lipids. An important feature is the delayed onset of auditory and vestibular damage in almost all cases of chronic glycoside toxicity, both in experimental animals and as in patients. Early studies of aminoglycoside pharmacokinetics gave rise to the hypothesis that the toxicity of these drugs was based upon their Aaccumulation@ in inner ear fluids. This early hypothesis has been questioned.69,71 It may well be that a metabolite of the aminoglycoside is involved in the toxic action of such drugs. This hypothesis is reviewed in detail by Schacht.69 Drug metabolism may also explain the selective toxicity toward kidney and the inner ear as well as why some aminoglycosides preferentially damage the cochlea, and others the vestibular system. For example, although the vestibular system may have a preference to metabolize vestibulotoxic drugs, it may conversely have a greater capacity to detoxify those aminoglycosides that spare the vestibular system.-B. Todd Troost, MD
So you can c a possible connection btween TC's medical therapy 2 treat his Hansen's disease and vertigo, not 2 mention the synaptic disfunction sideeffects--and there is no reason not 2 believe that these side effects could lead 2 an autistic-like condition. A prolonged, untreated yeast infection which can transmit the candida bateria can also disrupt brain function and lead 2 autism. This is only supposed 2 happen 2 children btween birth and 3 years of age, but anything's possible.. But if Joan did have an infection and these antibiotics were running around like crazy in TC and his auto-immune system was compromised the transmission of this bacteria could have contributed even more 2 autistic like behavior:
<b><i>Quote:</i></b> They cite Japanese studies showing that candida is able to produce toxins which cause severe long-term disruption of the immune system and may also attack the brain. In extreme cases, they claim, severe disorders, totally resistant to conventional treatment, can occur as a result of candidiasis. These include depression, schizophrenia and, in some cases, autism.-Bernard Rimland, MD
Austistic children exibit anti-social behavior, have no interest in other people, perform ritualistic repetitive behaviors and tend 2 live in a "world of their own". Indeed many autistic children I have come in contact with draw amazing, sometimes unfathomable pictures of other worlds. TC's ingrained theraphy 4 coping w/his leprosy: Knowing that he may face extended periods of being alone, 2 be distrutful and wary of society's reaction 2 his condition and his constant VSE (a ritualistic, repetitive behavior), do raise interesting parralells w/autism. DDS's side effects may include: nausea, vomiting, headache, anorexia, nervousness, exfoliative dermititus, rash and proritus--which opens up the possibility that TC may have been totally misdiagnosed and the drugs were causing leprosy-like symptoms--he definately had headaches, got sick in the Land and never ate anything. The Land was a pretty amazing "other world"...Of course, given this, we have 2 assume that Linden had autism as well and that they shared a common world or hallucination. On the other hand perhaps Linden never really entered the Land @ all but was simply treating TC during a severe autistic episode and that he incorporated her in2 his vision. Thus by beginning to heal the Land she attempted 2 bring him back 2 reality and failed b4 she could could save his physical body on the altar...Anyway u can poke all sorts of holes in this, but u must admit it is some pretty interesting fft...
Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/30/02 9:01:06 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: About leprosy...and did TC live in Texas????
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:15 am 
Master Pilot

<b> I don't know, Danlo. Maybe if you could give me a little more information... Sorry. This is way above me, Danlo. I'm sure that some of our more learned members could add to this intelligently. Good research and thinking. </b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:23 pm 
Pilot

You know, I've heard that about armadillo's...I've been trying to figure out where Covenant was from... my best guess so far was somewhere in the bible belt... maybe it was the Texas region.....that makes some sense.

Thanks for the insight

Coercri <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:26 pm 
Master Pilot

good addition Coercri! I considered the bible belt factor as well... Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i></i>

Post subject: Location of TC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:39 pm 
Master Pilot

The name of this thread had something to do w/Covenant living in Texas. I always got the impression that he lived somewhere on the west coast... Your affectionate uncle, Screwtape<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Location of TC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:07 am 
Master Pilot

How in the <i> world</i> did u ever think he lived near the West Coast? I'd b very intrigued 2 hear ur theory! Originally I thought he lived in some drab place like Iowa or Kansas--but the bible belt and the armadillos swayed me. The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 9/18/02 5:10:00 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:26 am 
Master Pilot

West coast, maybe central US.
a) I heard no mention of snow
b) Joan travled to Utah, and it appeared to be no big deal
c) Joans horses 'nuff said(thats where the possibility of Central came in) Your affectionate uncle, Screwtape<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:35 am 
Master Pilot

It's true that we r not given much info on the xact locale of Haven Farm. And as far as the snow is concerned, someone on KW Old discussion pages made a very interesting point that much of what we c taking place in our world seems 2 happen around Easter. There r some other reasons y I'm convinced Townfulosombitches is in the central US, but I'll have 2 scour the books and get back 2 u on that! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:48 am 
Master Pilot

mmm .. very impressive .. Mhory's theory is soundly supported!!

sounds like Haven farm could be where HLM asserts. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:12 am 
Master Pilot

There is mention of some snow and cold weather in LFB!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:11 pm 
Master Pilot

Gimme a passage! Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:39 am 
Master Pilot

I'll find it Bubba!, in the mean time bite me! ok!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 9:38 am 
Master Pilot

hehe .. we need a 'bite me' emoticon!!!!

lol ... health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:28 pm 
Master Pilot

Geez, Sky.... Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:39 pm 
Lady Scryer

hm. I always thought it was upper south, Tennesee, Virginia, Carolinas, somewhere like that. The town just sounds like someplace like that...I have tons of relatives living in that area, and it just sounds like that area to me...the armadillos could be anywhere in the lower south, actually, not just Texas. The only wild armadillos I've seen were in central Florida. As for Joan going to Utah or wherever, she flew, so could have been pretty much anywhere in the continental US...I think they lived further east than Texas -- if they lived in the West their place would have been probably been called a ranch as opposed to a farm...isn't there a line somewhere around Arkansas/MO where to the east an acreage where horses are raised would be called a farm and to the west would be called a ranch?
I know it's not in Michigan, or there would have been an unseasonal (haha) Easter snowstorm involved in the plot somehow! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>