[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - What about Joan?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Joan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:19 pm 
Pilot

Im not defending Joan,maybe I am, but shes not as bad as you think. I think she loved Covenant but if your husband, or father got Hansens, wouldnt you be afraid. Angry even? I bet you would. The phone call took place about six months after the divorce, I think. Maybe it was an offer to get back together again. She thought he hung up on her, and stopped calling. On the phone call she said she missed him, and then she got pissed 'cause he hung up on her, apparently. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Joan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:40 am 
Master Pilot

well we can speculate re: her reasons for calling .. to me that is a long shot!! .. of a speculation.

maybe she wanted the crockery!!!

No I cant imagine being 'mad' if my father or brother or partner contracted Hansens disease .. and why? Would I feel they contracted this awful disease intentionally?? on purpose?? just to spite me?? .. ok then if that were true .. I maybe a little mad .. but we are talking about my father here ..?? I love my father .. and he has hurt me in the past but I love the man - he's my dad!!

Surely Joan loved TC to marry him .. even if she was mad or put out that TC had contracted Hansens disease .. when does sense kick in .. and she realise that this is someone she 'loves' .. and the disease he suffers is not about TC hurting her .. not intentionally contracted by him to spite her!

Not about her at all .. surely sense has to kick in sometime .. and you'd think .. before filing for divorce!!

Speaking of fathers .. my own father is dying of cancer .. his body is riddled with this ugly disease .. his head and neck are covered in ugly horrible tumourous masses .. do I hate him?? do I refuse to be anywhere near him because he is abhorrent to look upon?? NO!! Do I ignorantly fear that if I am near him I will contract cancer?? NO!! ofcourse not.

MY grandmother suffered gangrene .. did I refuse to aid her? refuse to change her dressings? No!! How could I? she needed the support of her family .. and she only had us .. my partner used to nurse her and showed her more love I think than me I am ashamed to say.

Did I put her away in a nursing home .. have her institutionalised to rid myself and my family of this burden .. NO!! I could not!! I loved her .. and I could not abandon her to a fate she would have loathed.

I cant understand Joan .. I can understand her desire to protect her son .. but once she has learned that Hansens disease is not so easily transferrable .. surely sense had to kick in? Yes .. it would be scary for her .. but she had the benefit of medical counselling and was present when TC had his earlier consultations with the medical staff .. her fears should have been addressed by factual knowledge re: Hansens disease.

Maybe her fear was beyond her own control .. maybe this explains her actions .. ok ..

though you'd think at some point she would have to accept the fact .. there is nothing to fear but fear itself. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:20 pm 
Master Pilot

Ignorance leads to confusion, confusion often leads to anger. The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:49 am 
Master Pilot

LOL health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:46 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, SRD says that Joan booked out because of fear for Roger. But that doesn't explain the lack of contact to me. Sure, maybe it would have emotionally hurt her to speak to TC after all that has happened, but why doesn't she suck in her gut and maintain contact with him for the sake of Roger? So that this little innocent person will know that he has a father who loves him? Would it have killed her to send letters/pictures/videotapes of Roger to his father and let Roger and TC speak on the phone? She really is a bit of a wimp, IMO. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:42 am 
Master Pilot

Well she DID call him once...and then try to kill him Further up, and further in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:55 am 
Master Pilot

Like Duchess I understand what SRD is saying in his email...however I don't agree w/him! as TC say's: "It's not that easy..." And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:23 am 
Master Pilot

hooray! I also dont agree with him .. and I think his explanation is too easy too!

I get the protective impulse of a parent for a child .. but what happened to the protective impulse of a partner for a partner ..

both relationships are of equal relevance .. sure the drive to protect the child from the disease would have been an element in Joan's decision .. but what of her husband .. she didnt even speak on the phone to him .. and that once she did .. he was afraid because he had an episode and hit his head and was unable to speak to her .. that she might not speak to him again??????

hellooo???

you cant catch leperosy off a phone line .. and the fact that she left all her clothes .. what was she thinking? And the doctors did explain to her how rare it was and .. and .. and ..

what kind of relationship did they have?? To me she didnt really involve TC in her life - her pregnancy - the naming of their child etc..

I agree .. sneering .. is not the appropriate response .. but surely disappiontment .. is appropriate and even defensible.

All I know is that TC loved her .. and I dont see him walking out on her .. not even to protect his child .. yet I see him supporting her .. NOT DIVORCING HER .. <as punishment> and maybe placing the child with her or his parents .. for a time ..

till he could work out where to from here ..

very different responses ..

I think SRD is too kind .. but then thats just what I would expect of him .. and I like it!!

but she's not someone I look up to .. 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:24 am 
Lady Scryer

Rereading the Second Chrons, I am again struck by how flat out creepy it was when Joan craved to drink human blood. :shock: I realize that she had fallen under the spell of Lord Foul at the time, but still... :shock:

I wish I could remember the email from Donaldson about Joan that Lord Sky and Danlo were talking about in those later posts. :(

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: What about Joan?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:07 am 
Lady Scryer

Just curious what people think of Joan now that we are halfway through the third Chronicles?

At this point I am actually feeling sorry for her. I still think she was cruel to Covenant (and to Roger in never letting him know he had a father who greatly loved him) as a result of her cowardice in the first series, but man had she ever had to pay a hellish price for it in the Second and now the Third... :?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:15 am 
Master Pilot

I definitely feel sorry for her now. Lord Foul really got his hooks into her after she left Covenant. :(

In the first Chrons, I dunno -- she seemed scared and misguided at best, and possibly callous. That Covenant still obviously cared about her says more about him than it does about her, I think.

My books:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:10 am 
Lady Scryer

It says a lot more about him (and his great loyal heart) than her IMHO. In fact, she does not seem to be a very likable person in some ways (such as naming their child without even bothering to consult her husband about it). On the other hand, she must be quite sensitive to be able to be a horse whisperer. :?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:48 pm 
Master Pilot

Or just really good at relating to horses, moreso than to people....

My books:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:35 am 
Lady Scryer

Third Chronicles speculation:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:56 am 
Master Pilot

Hmm. Good questions! We'll know soon, eh? :) Can't believe publication is less than two weeks away!

My books: