Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Let's talk about The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:07 am 
Master Pilot

but thats the point surely!

they are what we are not!! they have retained their humanity where we in our busy commercial material/political world do not - generally speaking ofcourse!

They are too perfect?? .. I dont think so! they are more vigilant more resolute to what they believe .. but they are not perfect at all .. they live a more 'perfect' life I guess .. more pure and uncluttered .. lives for sure .. but not perfect ..

Lena was clearly not perfect ... nor were all the inhabitants of the Land .. they were not automatons (sp?) .. they had unique and diverse personalities .. They were a disciplined people who were raised with a deep sense of respect and loyalty as the highest of ideals ..

I envy these people and their way of being .. I think we each can become more Land-like .. and I think SRD gave us this experience to make us as inhabitants of this world .. more self-aware and more conscious of our responsibilities to each other and the earth we depend on for our survival ..

The parallel's SRD draws .. between that world and this are to demonstrate the need to re-focus our priorities imho ..

anyway I am now raving .. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 6:06 pm 
Master Pilot

Well the Landers in the 1st Chronicles believe in all the myths (Creation etc.) and all the powers of the Land. I say they arent real enough is because there seems to be not enough doubt from, not the regular cast, but from the background people that the regular cast interacts with. The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:46 am 
Master Pilot

I dont get it!? the inhabitants of the Land are too perfect because they do not possess enough doubt??

They are too gullible .. in respect to their beliefs and the direction of their leaders .. their lore and the Council at Revelstone??

Many indigenous peoples possess unfailing resolve in their belief in their culture and customs .. particularly in their spiritual beliefs .. are they too perfect?? .. as a people??

I dont quite get it? People who have faith are too perfect?? Many in the world who do not have a faith in anything particular .. would no doubt agree with you ..

That is very interesting .. isnt it? People with faith can come across as being too idealistic .. even criticised as too 'perfect' maybe .. but their actual 'perfection' isnt the deal really .. its that they present themselves moreso as something that others resent .. and hence the criticism.

but this is getting off the track .. I admire people with the kind of resolve and dedication to something .. akin to that the inhabitants of the Land possessed.

naive?? .. maybe .. but I do not think so .. in their case what these people are loyal to .. is sound and proven .. Their lore is truly worthy of such devotion.

And yes you are right in drawing the distinction between the 1st and 2nd chrons .. the inhabitants were an entirely different breed .. in the 2nd .. not a people who are directed by a belief that was sound or worthy.

These people distinguish themselves from the 1st chrons .. as they did possess doubt and a whole range of qualities that do not credit them in anyway. They though were similar .. I guess .. in that they would willingly submit themselves to the will of the Clave .. very few daring to challenge the notions disseminated by the Clave.

.. I need to think more on this ..
health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:40 pm 
Master Pilot

Almost finished with WGW. The last few posts made me think....

How is it that a people could fall into the depravity of the Clave & thier blood letting? Sometimes, I just can't comprehend how this could be accepted...

But then I think of the ancient Mayan indians (and others) who practiced ritual sacrifice & blood letting to appease thier gods. I guess any 'rituals' that produce or at least appear to produce desired results become acceptable as a way of life.

Many other ancient civilizations did not follow these practices, so I bring myself back to my original question - how can a people, who apparantly love & value life, develop the 'worship' practices that take life to supposedly sustain life?

I think the people in the 2nd chrons are faithful, but of course, it can't be 'perfect' faith, because the practices are fundamentally evil, right? <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:25 pm 
Master Pilot

Pure coersion rather than pure faith--they are weak and broken by years and years of mis-information, the Sunbane itself and the Clave's tyranny: a "negative image" of the 1st Chrons. Tho I highly admire the peace seeking, "Earth-fealty" and determination of the people of the Land in the 1st Chrons. It was almost a bit 2 much. They needed 2 b slapped around a bit!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:05 pm 
Master Pilot

Exactly! I want agressive people in my books, but not all agressive, just some ,mixed in w/kind people. Too many of either just isnt realistic! The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:03 am 
Master Pilot

I just made this post 2 light up the new hot topic thingy --off 2 find some new emoticons!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:33 am 
Master Pilot

so a world without aggression is not realistic??

to the 'Landers' [ ] it was there reality .. the 1st chrons anyway .. definitely not the 2nd chrons ..

I didnt like the 'Landers' of the 2nd chrons .. they were too much like us ..

the earth-fealty-ness as danlo calls it .. is not unrealistic .. just indicative of their relationship with their earth .. It is a quality I wish was more evident in our world ..

but it is this synicism .. this lack of appreciation of a peace loving breed of beings .. that prevents our enjoyment of a similar environment ..

I would be perfectly content in such a world .. they had there problems too!! .. there disagreements .. the ramen were not all that trusting of other inhabitants .. stonedowners and woodhelvin kept to themselves respecting their individual uniqueness .. they exhibeted the requisite tolerance for co-existence ..

they were very different .. but they did not demoan this diversity .. they embraced it .. ultimately in times of crisis to come together and work united ..

this is not tooo perfect imho .. its too good!!

perfect is perfect .. and yeah they do live a more perfect/pure existence .. would that we could live half as well as these beings do .. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:05 am 
Master Pilot

Id love to live in the Land! Are you kidding?!
The seperation between Woodhelvnen(sp?) and Stonedownors was very well done and interesting. But I mean, no one EVER had the thought of hurting the earth in anyway, thats what I didnt like. Dont get me wrong, I loved TCTC! No literary work is ever faultless though... Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:19 am 
Master Pilot

ok ..

but you didnt like the way they didnt hurt the Land?? we'll get there eventually I am sure .. but how is that bad exactly?

and you and me both .. would love to live in the Land!! I guess we'd just have to try like hell to make sure we show the equivalent respect for it as other Landers do health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:15 am 
Master Pilot

Ugh! Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:54 am 
Master Pilot

being environmentally conscious .. makes you sick??

ugghhh!! health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:19 am 
Master Pilot

No, I think he just can't imagine all the work it would take!

Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 9:41 am 
Master Pilot

LOL .. its a way of life .. not a life sentence

they'll probably have ways of ensuring earth-friendliness .. health and healing<i></i>