Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Let's talk about The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:07 pm 
Master Pilot

Thomas Covenant: Urlord, White Gold Weilder, Illender, Antihero, Writer, Father, Divorcee, Leper, Unbeliever--summoned 2 The Land, assumed by many 2 b the 2nd coming of Berek Halfhand--who is Drool Rockworm? What is his connection 2 Lord Foul? How is TC summoned? Who forewarns him in our world? Is it just a beggar? Or is it? What r ur thoughts on these books? Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i></i>

Post subject: Leprosy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:20 pm 
Pilot

Just for interest, I looked it up sorta intensively; Only 3-5% of those exposed to a UNMEDICATED leper contract the disease...medication has been shown to destroy the mycobacterium very effectively.....And still, means of contagion, UNSPECIFIED.....As of webmd.com. <i></i>

Post subject: Things their doctors don't understand
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 12:21 am 
Master Pilot

<b><i>Quote:</i></b> "He extended a stump with three fingers to shake hands; I hesitated only a moment. He smiled warmly, nodding as if he understood, then gestured for me to follow."
This quote, almost, feels like it came right out of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, instead it comes from a book called: The Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman. The Sacred Journey is the sequel 2 The Peaceful Warrior a very spirititual, sort of "New Age" book about a worldclass gymnast who is forced 2 look deep within himself by a strange old man known only as Socrates. If u c parallels here between Thomas Covenant and the beggar in Lord Foul's Bane u should.
<b><i>Quote:</i></b> "But courage is like a muscle; it gets stronger with practice. People don't test their spirit until they're faced with adversity. These people have faced some of the hardest emotional as well as physical battles: Ostracized by fearful people, they live in a village without the the laughter of children. The word 'leper' has become synonymous for 'one who is turned away from', avoided-a pariah-abandoned by the world. Few have faced as much, and few have shown such spirit."
This quote sounds just like the Dr. talking 2 TC when he's in the leprosarium in Louisiana, if u take out the word village and substitute hospital. Donaldson does an outstanding job in outlining the dilemas TC is constantly faced w/due 2 his disease; VSE, no sharp corners, alienation, hellfire--he even throws in vertigo! What a mess! No other such character in all of literature exists. Love him, hate him--it doesn't matter 2 Thomas Covenant he has 2 keep moving or he will die. If we were isolated from humanity as long as he is would we not be subject 2 strange and fantastic dreams, as well? Then the nexus of the next dilema arises: is what he's dreaming actually real or fantasy--is he going crazy? Is it part of the disease or is he already dead?
Finally this last quote form the same book sounds something like Linden Avery might say 2 one of us in this reality:
<b><i>Quote:</i></b> "But there are a few I consel. These are the people who have had unusual dreams or experiences-things their doctors don't understand."
Peaceful and Sacred Journey r wonderful books! They could change ur life--but that's a subject 4 the Fravarshi District. I'll tell u 1 thing tho..TCTC have changed my life, a couple of times...
Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 4/9/02 5:29:38 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Things their doctors don't understand
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:02 am 
Master Pilot

No doubt, Stephen Donaldson has changed quite a few lives with his Thomas Covenant Chronicles. They are a wonderful set of books with wonderful characters, gorgeous Land descriptions, and a plethora of "odd words" (that have added to everyone's vocabulary). No one can read those books and come away the same way they went in. Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Things their doctors don't understand
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 3:48 pm 
Master Pilot

apart from those who tossed the books particularly LFB across the room to the wall .. and I know of people who responded to LFB exactly like that .. they seem to miss the very essence of SRD's work .. which is not to glorify the TC character .. and defy ethical baselines .. Donaldson has the deepest of respect imo for Universal law/Natural law .. the essence of humanity and what it is that directs human behaviour .. TC's rape of Lena is an oft misunderstood concept .. imo .. it represented the conflict between reality and unreality/fantasy/dreamstates or moreover the conflict between internal ethical battles we all face between concepts of right and wrong and how they are placed within the internal dialogue of man .. what influences actions .. can actions be classified as good or ill .. are there in actuality shades of grey .. do we all dispair .. and how can we know how we would act in any given situation .. ie what level of empathy are we capable of expressing?

Can compassion .. forgiveness .. redemption .. be extended to a rapist .. any rapist? Individual circumstance distinguish actors re: their degree of culpability .. I love SRD he raises so many ethical questions and quanderies .. I love that he challenges our mind-sets and world view .. I love that he had the courage to broach subjects that many would avoid with barge poles ..

I read TCTC and see SRD using his series as a vehicle for social commentary .. He comments re: the environment .. society .. politics .. religion .. law .. humanity .. a question of ethics .. and so on .. It is a work of brilliance .. and one that has I feel .. improved the person I am today for having read it .. I will remain infinitely grateful for this work and revere it all my days .. I have not yet read a book that can hold a candle to the depth of this dyanamic work of art .. health and healing<i></i>

Post subject: "dreamsarereality"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:53 pm 
Master Pilot

Many "new agers" I kno have that bumper sticker in btween their "practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty" and "visualize world peace" ones. I only have 1 bumpersticker which says "mean people suck" on Ahira's butt. I think what they mean by "dreamsarereality" is that we r responsible 4 everything we do or imagine--essentially anything: visions, dreams, hallucinations, deja vus, etc...You kno it's amazing the # of so-called intelligent people in the world who go out of their way not 2 accept responsibilty. I think SRD is teaching us a HUGE lesson in this in TCTC espeacially w/the rape of Lena. It's kinda like that stupid catch phase in the promos from Ocean's Eleven: r u in, or r u out? If u can handle and begin 2 learn from TC's rape of Lena and go on w/the the story ur in. If u can't and throw the book @ the wall ur out. What SRD is doing is taking YOUR measure as a caring, sensitive, RESPONSIBLE, human being--TC, obviously, is right in the middle of the "ins" and the "out". If ur "in" ur in 4 an amazing series! If ur "out" I think u need serious spiritual and mental help and should b 4ced 2 relax, connect w/reality, connect w/ur fellow man, do service work, open ur heart and b compelled 2 finish the chronicles--Wouldn't the world b a better place if every1 could make it past the rape and actually LEARN from the series? Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 4/17/02 9:41:17 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: "dreamsarereality"
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 3:41 am 
Master Pilot

I almost threw the book across the room when I got to the rape...but by then I was already hooked, and I couldn't just stop. So after stewing for a while, I had to pick the book back up and keep reading. And I'm <i> very</i> glad I did. The Chronicles were extremely frustrating and very, very good. And they really make you think! It was definitely worth all the frustration.

~Foamy~ <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 1:40 am 
Master Pilot

I am always amazed at everyone in The Land ready to sacrifice anything and everything (including themselves) for The Land. I wonder at the percentage of folks in our world who would do the same. Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 5:43 am 
Master Pilot

funny really .. cos in the first chrons .. we meet a deeply devoted and loyal servants of the Land willing to do all to save it and their society. But in the 2nd chrons we meet a group of people (more human-like) who are more willing to sacrifice their mothers than stand up for the Land .. or what they believe in .. till TC ofcourse came along!! health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 8:48 pm 
Master Pilot

Just did a late read on your answer, Skyweir, and I was amazed. I never thought about it, but you are absolutely right. In the 2nd Chronicles, the whole emphasis shifted, and the Clave became more important than the Land. Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 11:08 pm 
Master Pilot

The Clave always reminded me of Washington D.C. now that's a VERY, VERY, VERY scary thought! instead of our blood it's our $ feeding the Sunbane of military/industrial madness that's ruining OUR world! Where in the hellfire is TC when u need him!!???!!! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 5/21/02 6:49:45 am
</i>

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 4:42 pm 
Master Pilot

now there's an interesting analogy ..

Yeah King .. it was a complete 360 wasnt it? I think seeing the people sacrificing their own - their blood .. to feed the effects of sunbane aswell as the sunbane itself .. was equally as disturbing as seeing the Land I loved desecrated by its presence! When the people lost their sacred devotion to the Land and their society/ each other .. it was a huge adjustment to make .. they had become barbarian and savage it seemed to me ..

*it really made me shudder* health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 7:04 pm 
Master Pilot

I like to read The Illearth War at least once every two years. That's a most unusual book. Things start iffy, get worse, and end up a right pile of doo-daa. There are no redeeming points in it whatsoever.

Hile Troy's fascinating. He believes, oh yes he does. And his belief in The Land is so strong he can't help but use every ounce of his background knowledge to help. And yet Foul does for him at every turn.

Meanwhile Covenant "looks on" and says "told ya so".

Then there's Korik's mission. How much through the mental wringer does Donaldson put you there ? You are desperate for The Giants to survive. But they ain't gonna, and you know in your heart of hearts that's the way its gonna be.

And when Elena drinks the Earthroot and ressurects Kevin, how much were you screaming "Don't do It !!"

An awesome book. Compare it to the others out there at the time - Brooks and Eddings - and we're talking different planet people. "Some of the Scottish troops ran for five miles before they were killed. Others threw themselves into the sea. The number of dead is impossible to calculate, but there must have been several thousand. They included 5 Scottish Earls. The few prisoners who had been taken were put to death on Edward III's order, a final act of savagery for which there is no rational explanation. English casualties were light. Halidon Hill 19 July 1333Edward III Puts Scotland to the Sword, For a very Long Time.<i></i>

Post subject: Gildenfire
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 9:34 pm 
Master Pilot

Have u read Gildenfire Beren? If not u would tottaly love it! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Gildenfire
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 1:40 am 
Master Pilot

Elena's misuse of the Power of Command was so tragic. I would loved to have seen her fight some of the enemies of the Land. She obviously knew a great deal about the Staff of Law. Unfortunately she ends up fighting a hero of the Land. When I reread TIW now, I stop after the defeat of the Giant-Raver. Just don't want to go through that scene again of Elena and Kevin. (Does anyone else leave out parts that bother you in books?) Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>