Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Battle of the Rings!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:27 am 
Master Pilot

Im doing a comparison of the One Ring and the White Gold.
Things they have in Common:
Both are talismans of great power.
In my mind, both choose their wielders.
Bothy formed of powerful and magical materials.
Not much I admit....Ways they are Different
The One Ring can be used ONLY for evil, the white gold for both.
The white gold represents energy, and sheer power. The One Ring only evil, and darkness.
The white gold can only be used as an extension of onself. The One Ring, if I remember correctly, probably about the same. Refresh my memory, resident Gods of Tolkien!
Can anyone else cite differences or similarities between the Rings? Further up, and further in!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Battle of the Rings!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:02 am 
Master Pilot

<b><i>Quote:</i></b> Both are talismans of great power.

Agreed!

<b><i>Quote:</i></b> In my mind, both choose their wielders..

I dont agree .. There wasnt really an element of choice re: TC's white gold ring at all .. It really had nothing to do with the ring per se in this context of choice. TC was the one that was chosen .. subconsciously maybe TC chose a white gold wedding ring because it was part of his fate somehow. Possessing a white gold ring was very much part of it all .. but TC was vital to the whole plan. He was the wild magic .. with or without the ring .. I am not suggesting that the ring want important .. it was .. but in TC's situation not all important.

TC's ring didnt have any hint of sentience that the One Ring seemed to .. the spirit of the Dark Lord was in the One Ring .. TC's ring wasnt forged similarly .. and had no spirit possessed in it.

<b><i>Quote:</i></b> Bothy formed of powerful and magical materials..

The One Ring was forged of power and magic .. but TC's ring was not. It was an ordinary common garden variety white gold ring .. but in the Land this alloy held great power. So again this is a difference between the rings imo.

<b><i>Quote:</i></b> Ways they are Different
The One Ring can be used ONLY for evil, the white gold for both.
The white gold represents energy, and sheer power. The One Ring only evil, and darkness.
The white gold can only be used as an extension of onself. The One Ring, if I remember correctly, probably about the same. Refresh my memory, resident Gods of Tolkien!.

I agree .. their differences are as you have identified .. there may be others .. but the Tolkien Gods will have to address them more.

health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:41 pm 
Master Pilot

When I said magic materials, I meant white gold was magic only in the Land. Not here on "our" Earth. Think about this. IF the spirit of Sauron was REALLY in the One Ring, then Bilbo wouldnt have gotten it. Gollem wouldnt have gotten it. That Man that stole the ring from Sauron in battle millenia ago wouldnt have either. The Ring, while basically in control, had some setbacks, others were planned.

Now onto WG...it obviously Chose Covenat, it chose LA; however I think the ring was "fooled" by the Dead's plan for Covenant to give LF the ring and didnt want the Despiser to have it. However, I dont agree w/ you Sky, when you say fate played the only role in the WG's wielders. Maybe the WG WAS fate...all speculation of course... Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:33 am 
Master Pilot

ok but the substance that forged the 2 rings was relevant..

<b> The following quotes are all from ch.2 The Shadow of the Past .. tFotR</b>
<b><i>Quote:</i></b> He only needs the One, for he made that Ring himself, it is his, and he let a great part of his own former power pass into it, so that he could rule all the others.

You see the One Ring was forged by the Dark Lord Sauron and placed in it is 'a great part of his own former power.' That part of himself that his Dark Arts allow.

<b><i>Quote:</i></b> .. A Ring of Power looks after itself ..

The One Ring possessed a kind of sentience .. a will of its own indeed .. an element that is not present in TC's ring.

Yes it would seem that the Ring did have some set-backs .. the One Ring looks after itself .. and in this there were other forces at work .. that even the Maker was not aware of it would seem. The One Ring seemed to have a will of its own and it is the Dark Lord that wanted it .. and from memory the Ring did want to be found .. but it seems it had some other thing in mind too. Of this I am not entirely sure.

As far as TC's ring choosing him and LA .. there is no evidence of Covenants wedding band having any sentience whatsoever. The ring did not <i> choose</i> TC LA or anyone.

You may be right about 'fate' .. I myself wondered about that concept when I wrote it .. but couldnt find any other word that would describe what it is I mean.

1.TC married and chose the rings that he and Joan would wear to symbolise their union .. white gold rings.

2. His leperosy is also something which portended his amputated fingers on his left hand.

It just so happens that .. that particular choice of wedding band .. also .. as 'luck' would have it .. when he was summoned to the Land .. turned out to be a token of great power and symbolise to the inhabitants of the Land that he was .. akin to a legendary figure who wore .. a ring of white gold .. and .. also .. coincidentally bore a disfigured half hand ..

And beyond the mere coinicidental appearance of Berek half-hand and TC .. there was the fact that TC did become the One that would save the Land!! Just like Berek.

If not fate then there is another word out there that better describes a set of parrallel events that mutually affirm each other as these do.

I do not say that this phenomenon .. we may assign as 'fate' .. is the only element in the big picture .. but it would seem that it is a biggy! health and healing<i>Edited by: Skywier  at: 9/29/02 9:43:15 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:18 pm 
Master Pilot

Yes Covenant's ring is on his right hand right? And the right hand is dominated by the left-hemisphere of the brain. And the left-hemisphere is the artistic part of the brain that can lead 2 fancy and fantasy! hmmmm.... The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 12:29 am 
Master Pilot

Surpirse surprise...I am yet again engaged in high debate with his Lordship Skyweir. This weeks subject:the WG does it choose its wielders? We should have our own debate forum, Sky! Anyway Im gonna stick w/my therory that the ring DOES choose its wielders. Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:28 pm 
Master Pilot

did you even <b> read</b> my arguement to the contrary????

I am sure if we had our own debate forum .. it would be highly active and never have a low moment ..

.. mmm .. debating .. then lets hear your evidence or support to counter! health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:34 pm 
Master Pilot

Hmph! I did read your argument btw! Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:45 am 
Master Pilot

well I have edited it now .. I made the same dumb mistake I did at the Watch .. forgot to seperate the quoted sections from my own comments!

health and healing<i></i>