Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: post-Sunbane Land
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:02 pm 
Pilot

My real question regarding the Third Chronicles is a Land w/out Sunbane and Lords. We have Sunder and Hollian, Revelstone, Haruchai, SoL, orcrest, krill, but NO LORE. Whats the Lands future? <i></i>

Post subject: Re: post-Sunbane Land
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:55 am 
Master Pilot

.. and more importantly than Lore even .. there was no Oath of Peace .. among the races of the earth.

The giants and the haruchai who battled side by side with TC throughout the 2nd series .. in an effort to reclaim the Land and their own integrity and right of existence .. will undoubtedly form a council in order to lead the races of the Land to a better place .. socially, spiritually and environmentally. In respect of the latter .. lore of the stonedowners will need to be re-learned .. and the lore of the woodhelvin also .. but who has the knowledge to teach these lores? maybe the dead in Andelain .. maybe the dead will teach Sunder and Hollian and their child .. and they will take this knowledge to the others of the Land .. via the Giants and the Haruchai.

So many unknowns .. but in truth there exists still a strong resource base in Covenants dead - the spectres of Mhoram (who better to teach lore) Atiaran (teach stonedowner lore) .. etc.. etc..

Its like having a living resource cache!!

The future of the Land is yet in good hands ..

As far as the lore of the Lords that you maybe referring to .. a new lore will need to be established .. Mhoram identified flaws in Kevins Lore .. and in TPTP he announced a moving away from the ways of the past which did not fully serve the people or the Land .. as anticipated.

So I envisage a new lore .. encorporating the principles of peace .. and working within the lore of the Land/'earth' ..

this is just my thinking on this .. imo .. health and healing<i></i>

Post subject: Re: post-Sunbane Land
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:11 pm 
Master Pilot

WOW! That is an AWESOME and beautiful vison 4 the new Land, Sky! Makes the rumor that TC, or SRD, might destroy the Land at the end of the 3rd series seem so sad! If SRD does decide 2 destroy the Land in the 3rd Chrons, mayb that's analogous 2 the "Fall of Atlantis"? 2 much beauty, 2 much power...Perhaps they will find Wards that they shouldn't? Could it lead 2 too much control over everything, and eventually people from our world winking in and out of the Land uncontrollably? No Oath of Peace, hmmm...combined w/what I just said-set's up a number of interesting "Chaos" theory factors that could lead 2 the destruction of the Land... The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 9/16/02 7:57:07 pm
</i>

Post subject: post sunbane Land
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:51 am 
Master Pilot

test <i></i>

Post subject: post sunbane Land
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 5:12 am 
Master Pilot

I can't help but wonder what part the Raynyn and Ramen have yet to play? They fled far south at the onset of the sunbane and I greatly anticipate their return! <i></i>

Post subject: Re: post sunbane Land
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:46 pm 
Master Pilot

Welcome diamondraught! Next time Log-In and go thru all the steps-you <b> are</b> a registered member, A Pilot not a journeyman! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:07 am 
Master Pilot

daimondraught - thats an interesting point about the Ramen and the Raynhin .. cos we are lead to believe that Bannor left with them to lead them to a safe haven .. maybe they escaped the corruption of the sunbane. Definitely would like to know more about them .. and their fate. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:35 pm 
Master Pilot

About Ranhyn, someone on the Watch said that they thought the Coursers were warped Ranhyn. I dont think so.....
Sky, about the Oath, we dont have one, we get by....somewhat! <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:54 pm 
Master Pilot

The Raynhynn escaped--they were never Coursers! They'll b back in full glory! They escaped South and thru the Southron Range--or the Southron Wastes or both, whatever they're called!
The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:20 am 
Master Pilot

I agree!! the Coursers are not warped raynhin .. there only relationship is that they can be ridden and have 4 legs!! They are enormous beasts of burden .. quite unlike the raynhin!! The raynhin possess great strength but even if the sunbane had warped them into coursers .. why would they become twice their size??? I dunno .. I dont like that suggestion at all!!

HLM-you have lost me? was that the intention??? health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:23 am 
Master Pilot

oh yeah and I agree with danlo .. that they escaped the sunbane!! I am sure Bannor lead them out of the Land to some safe haven .. and someone at the Watch .. Drummond .. said that in TWL .. it says somewhere that they perceived the ill of the sunbane and took off .. with the Ramen following them. I havent looked it up yet .. but I will .. there is something familiar about that .. I am sure thats why in the back of my mind I believe they escaped prior to the sunbane!! health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:16 pm 
Master Pilot

That brings up another question......if Bannor led them away, is he alive!? Maybe the Earthpower can sustain him or something? <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:05 pm 
Master Pilot

didn't Bannor forsake his Vow and go on 2 die a natural death? He was dead in Andelian: his spectre told TC "redeem my people"... The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 9/5/02 6:54:33 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:42 pm 
Master Pilot

thats right danlo! .. Bannor did forsake his vow and was a spectre in Andelain .. when TC met 'his dead' .. We dont know when Bannor died .. or how long after Bannor left TC and Foamfollower at the end of TPTP .. to sojourn with the Raynhin and the Ramen .. the sunbane came into being. maybe it was long after Bannor died .. or not??

Drumond quoted the soothtell where TC learned that the raynhin perceived the onset of the sunbane and escaped the Land southward .. to find safer grasslands. Whether Bannor was still alive is very difficult to know .. the vow gave the Haruchai uncommon longevity .. but from memory the Haruchai being a hearty healthy mountain people also live to a fair old age .. dont they? health and healing<i></i>

Post subject: post sunbane
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 2:34 am 
Master Pilot

Bannors' age rapidly caught up with him in TPTP. the vow was broken we find out at the first summoning of TC in TPTP. Bannors' hair has turned white and looks, well, OLD when he and TC meet again at the colossus(when the staff o'law was destroyed by Elena and TC.) Bannor says only (regarding his end) that when his time is near he will stop by Revelstone on his way home to die amoung his people to drop off the heels of the staff. I think his mortality was fast approaching.(after 2000yrs. of service without sleep and seeing his vow corrupted in the end.) <i></i>