[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Fatal Revenant part one chapter seven - extreme spoilers!!!

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fatal Revenant part one chapter seven - extreme spoilers!!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, today I had time to read the first half of chapter seven.... :?

[spoiler]

Man, Covenant and Jeremiah get nastier all of the time, don't they?

And Covenant, talking about how the Old Lords were all about despair, and that they pulled their power from it. Say what? :x

Lots more info dumps about the far past history of the Land - again, from unreliable sources (I do not consider Esmer, Covenant, or Jeremiah to be reliable sources... :? I think that the Ramen and the haruchai do tell the truth as they know it, however. And strangely enough, I think that Jeremiah and Covenant are more truthful when the Theomach is there... :? ).

Strangely enough, I think I trust the Theomach to a degree. :? He obviously knows bad things about Covenant and Jeremiah that he is not telling Linden...but he does not seem to have any personal malice, the way the other two do. In fact, he pretty obviously dislikes them and the way they treat Linden. :? He seems to be a reluctant ally to them. :? But why? What does this mysterious and powerful figure want with Berek?????

And speaking of which,

WE ARE ON OUR WAY TO MEET BEREK HALFHAND!!!!!

:faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:

[/spoiler]

Image Image Image

Last edited by Duchess of Malfi on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:51 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, back to the second half of chapter seven....

[spoiler]

The Theomach walks with Linden. He says that he cannot tell her many things, but hints around confirming her suspician that Covenant is lying to her - but he will not tell her what that is all about, other than telling her that with cleverness and wisdom, she might be able to wrest truth from her companions. Yeah - Covenant and Jeremiah are liars! He also helps Linden with her cold travels through the snow. The Theomach tells her that she serves his purpose, and therefore he must serve her.

They are on their way to Berek's war encampment. :shock: What does the Theomach want with Berek? :? How can Linden serve him with Berek? :?

And the Theomach will not even tell Linden his real name... :?

And he tells her that Covenant's intended plan (the one he interfered with) would have destroyed the Arch of Time, had Damelon and the original Staff of Law met up with Linden and her Staff of Law. He tells her that if he had not disturbed Covenant's plans, the Elohim would have stepped in and interrupted them instead...

They reach the scouts of Berek's army. Linden walks right up to them, over the objections of both Covenant and Jeremiah. But those two have objected to so many things...even Linden's going to Andelain and calling the Ranyhyn to aid her in their journey. Why are they so determined to keep Linden away from places and people with the potential to see them for what they are (in this case Berek?)

The scouts are all injured and suspicious. You can tell that they have been in the field for quite sometime and have seen truly terrible things.

Questions to my fellow readers? Why does Linden keep thinking about how much she hates war? When has she ever seen an actual war? Yes, a few battles in the Second Chrons, but when has she ever seen an actual full scale war? :? The way she goes on, you would think she has personal experience... :? Or is it the very idea of war that she hates so much? :? I fthe latter, I can certainly understand that. :)

Linden tells the scouts that she is a healer, here to help and talk with Lord Berek. She is quite arrogant with them, and if I had been one of them I would have been tempted bitch slapped her. Yes, I am bad. :wink: :lol: (And yes, I know that she feels the wounded, and is desperate to get to them and help them, which is why she is being so pushy. :wink: ) Linden has Jeremiah use his mysterious and unexplained powers to push them away so they can go on towards the camp, and the wounded in the hospital tents whose agony Linden can detect. One of the scouts claims that he can now detect truth, and says that Linden is truthful when she says that she wants to help. Linden telsl them she wants help from Berek, but she intends to earn it by helping the wounded.

And Covenant gets all whiny. And the Theomach tells Linden (and us) as clearly as he can without breaking any agreements or confidences that this is not Covenant.

The Earth is too wide and rife with mystery to be saved or damned by such as you...

No one really wants to let a mysterious stranger carrying unknown powers to get into the camp...so Linden offers her three companions as hostages while she works on the wounded. Covenant and Jeremiah complain (what else is new?) but the Theomach fully approves. One of the scouts gives Linden her horse.

Linden rides into the camp of Berek Halfhand. :shock:

[/spoiler]

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:49 am 
Master Pilot

[spoiler]

Hmmm, in terms of telling basic facts about the past history of the Land, I accept Covenant's word. It's his obvious contempt for that history that I don't accept. He treats it like one big joke. How did becoming the Arch of Time turn him into a total jerk?

About your question on Linden: Yeah, I think she hates the very idea of war (as do I). I dunno, maybe I'm naive, but I think it's a "natural" condition to hate war. Even more so when one is a doctor/healer as Linden is.

I also excuse her abruptness in how she introduces herself. She feels the dire plight of Berek's wounded - the more time she spends arguing with the soldiers, the more of those very soldiers die by the minute.

Gee, I'm a real apologist for Linden, aren't I? Ah, well, I've been rooting for her since day one, so at least I'm consistent.

[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:48 pm 
Lady Scryer

[spoiler]

Actually, I like Linden quite a bit.

Her childhood was hell, and she chose to rise above that and spend her life helping people. I cannot help but approve and admire that. :furls:

I think the main problem I have with Linden is that I can see both the best and worst of myself in her. I, too, had a childhood from hell, though I never got pushed to the point where I broke and commited violence. (The murder in my family comes a generation back, with one of my grandparents, though there was plenty of violence from one of my parents as well, just not actual killing of humans (killing of pets, yes, just not humans). :?) I, too, have spent my adulthood working in hospitals to try to aid other people. I turned 43 last week, and have been working in hospitals full time for more than 21 years now, to give you an idea. :shock: I, too, have tried to be the best and loving parent I can possibly be for my children. :? And have become as educated as time and circumstances allow, though it has never included medical school or graduate school. :?

But it (the childhood abuse) all left me with the crippling self doubt, as her childhood has her. I have been fighting with that all of my life, and it is really difficult for me to read about her problems with it as a result. The thing, is - no matter what you accomplish - deep down inside it is nearly impossible to feel anything but worthless. In Linden - a gifted and dedicated doctor - the self doubt is crippling and completely ridiculous. But it is so damned true.

Donaldson's fictional characters are vividly alive to me. And it is so hard to see one of them facing such a similar fight that I have been fighting for decades. I keep hoping that she will win, and I keep fearing that she will fall into disaster.

[/spoiler]

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:51 pm 
Lady Scryer

oh, quick add on to my previous post:

[spoiler]

From Runes and the first half of FR, it looks like the great underlying theme of the Last Chrons will be families and family relationships. What parents do to their children, and what children do to their parents, etc. The whole Linden and Jeremiah relationship is merely the most obvious....

For obvious reasons, with my family background, this is a subject that might rip me into bits before Donaldson is finished. :?

[/spoiler]

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:39 am 
Master Pilot

Yikes! You could try saying to yourself after each chapter: it's only a work of fiction...

But I know what you mean about Donaldson's characters being vividly alive. I too fear what Linden's choices may cost her and the Land, even as I cheer her on.

(side ramble) As for medicine and healthcare, that is way out of my league. The few times that I've ever been to the hospital (never anything serious, thank goodness), my personal impression of the staff has always been that they are thoroughly professional and patient with people. I can't imagine the stress that our healthcare workers must be under these days, as staff shortages continue to be a big problem in our province (and others). It's sad to say, but I have a feeling more and more of them are going through "Linden Avery crisis" days now - dedicated to their work, but deeply tired and frustrated by the lack of resources and manpower to properly deal with the needs of so many. And sometimes I think that our government, in its clueless inability to deal with this issue over the years, resembles the Clave more than a Council of Lords. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but likely not by much.