[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - The Various "Creation" Stories from the Land

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:12 am 
Lady Scryer

Ok, I was fairly certain there were no new theology stories in Runes, and I am far enough in my reread that I think I can confirm this.

Thre is a quick recap of the Clave's teachings of a-Jeroth, and at one point Linden remembers Foamy's story of the Unhomed Stars.

Since Linden never met a living Foamy, Covenant must have told her the story at some point in the Second Chronicles off camera.

I think a big part of the two theologies is that there are now two "real" people involved in the story beginning in the Second Chrons.

The original story, about the Creator, can therefore probably be "assigned" to Thomas Covenant. Since he is a creator of sorts himself, and burned his stories, this makes sense. He is both creation and destruction in one package. In addition, furthering this assignment, it (duology of creation/destruction; the Creator and the Despiser) appears in each of his summoning prophecies from Lord Foul. Everything fits together very well here. :) 8)

The second set of stories, about the Worm and the Wurd, would therefore go along with Linden. Additionally, in her summoning prophecy in Runes, she sees herself with the Worm. And if the Creator, the beggar in the ochre robe, goes with Covenant's theology, this might be why he does not appear in the Third Chrons. And if the Despiser goes with Covenant, perhaps that is why he does not speak to Linden during those prophecies?

Covenant would destroy the world in the company or due to the manipulations of the Despiser; Linden with the Worm...

But what do the Worm and the Wurd have to do with Linden's inner psyche? Does the Worm/Wurd represent her terrible inner darkness that represent the detruction of life and the murder of her mother? Might the Earth represent how she built a life revolving around saving lives upon that sleeping inner murderous darkness? And the awakening of the Worm might be her greatest fear - that her new life will be destroyed if he sleeping destructive inner self ever wakes up?

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:28 pm 
Master Pilot

I really like your post, duchess, I just don't have an answer! :lol: Yeah, it's very interesting to think of the "assigning" the myths to the two. And your case for assigning the Creator story to Covenant is well made. But I'm not sure how to assign the Worm to Linden. Was Covenant present when she was told the story by either Pitchwife or the Elohim? I don't have the books with me, but I don't remember him being there either time. So that helps make it hers. But I don't have any ideas yet for what it has to do with her inner psyche.

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:00 pm 
Lady Scryer

Thank you for the feedback, Fist (and Moonwatcher). This is something I have been thinking about pretty hard (difficult for me :wink: ) and it is good to be able to bounce ideas off of other people. I even tried to post it at the Watch out of desperation, but I go there so seldom, it will probably be months before I pick up any responses.

edited to add:
I did go back to the Watch today because I had a PM. I only go there because of that. Now, knowing that Watch, what do you think the PM was about? You guessed it - someone pointing out that a similar discussion had already been held and why did I start a new thread? I told the objector to feel free to have the thread deleted. :roll: And people wonder why I so rarely/never go to that place anymore. :roll: Screw it. :roll:

And in answer to your question, Highdrake - Pitch tells Linden the first story on the dromond while they are calling the nicor. Covenant is in a self imposed shell made of wild magic and cannot be reached. Daphin tells Linden the elohim story while they are apart from Covenant. So the mythology is established while Covenant is not around for one reason or another.

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:25 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:35 am 
Master Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:54 am 
Lady Scryer

Diassomer to me has a flavor of this word to it:

It is a seldom used word that means fragile and delicate. :?

It also has a flavor of this: gossamer
which also has an ethereal sort of meaning to it, something that is light and delicate - and isn't it also the secret first name of Pitchwife towards the First? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am quite likely totally off base, though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for Mininderain, your guess is as good as mine. :?

min is an abbreviation for minimum or minute, but the inderain is a mystery to me. :wink:

but the name has a feeling of someone being little and delicate... :?

Image Image Image