[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Fatal Revenant News! POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:45 am 
Lady Scryer

It has unfortunately come to my attention that there are ARCs of FR floating around out there.

If you have an ARC and post spoilers, if you do not use spoiler warnings and blockings, I will be

very

angry.

Do not make an admin mad. :razz: :wink: :P :)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:51 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Last edited by Duchess of Malfi on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:39 am 
Pilot

Sorta spoilers maybe, tag added just in case.
[spoilers]Given the author's career, I was expecting a bit more character growth in this second volume. And yet, other than where Stave is concerned, there is not much growth to speak of. Still, since Linden and her companions find themselves into dire straits at every turn, this might explain why. . .[/spoilers]
Hmm, this is sorta disappointing. I was hoping to find out more about that ramen who's a little strange (don't remember his name) at the very least.

Truth be told, I thought 2nd chrons had just a little less character dev outside of Covenant, Linden, and the Giants, so it's a little disappointing to hear the same might be true here. But it's not a huge flaw, and I'm very optimistic.

And IMPATIENT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:48 am 
Lady Scryer

I am optimistic as well. :)

Of all of Donaldson's novels, Runes most reminded me of Mirror of Her Dreams in terms of pacing and the careful setting of stage and characters. :)

And, of course, the next Mordant book exploded with action. 8) I have rather high hopes for FR. 8)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:48 pm 
Lady Scryer

The first review is up at Amazon, and it is very positive! :D It is by a T. Berger, and he even mildly criticizes THOOLAH in his review. :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Either the book should have been delivered when I get home from work, or it will arrive tomorrow. :D 8) So I am a happy camper. 8)

Oh - the reviewer said to read the first few chapters very slowly and carefully or you might be very lost by what is going on at the end of the book! :shock:

It is a great review, by the way - and no real spoilers. 8) Go to Amazon and look for T. berger's review. :D 8)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:04 am 
Lady Scryer

Look at the so-much-better British cover!

Why do we have to have the dorky Saruman cover? Why? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:29 am 
Master Pilot

I agree that the UK cover is more elegant...however, I am so overwhelmingly pleased just to have the book in my possession that I'm not unduly distressed by the "Saruman" cover. :)

To be fair to J.J. Palencar, I don't think his cover is really all that bad by itself. I like the muted, almost monochromatic color scheme. But, yes, it's unfortunate that of all the characters he could've chosen to depict, he chose one that most superficially resembles a certain LOTR icon. I guess it was too much to ask for a depiction of, say, Linden Avery.

The problem is that the way the character is drawn, he is too much the generic wizard figure (old guy, white beard, white robe, staff) to be properly distinguished as a Forestal, if that is who it's supposed to be. There is nothing about his attire that is specific to a Forestal, but at least Palencar got the pupil-less eyes right.

D.K. Sweet's classic cover for The Illearth War still has the best depiction of a Forestal I've seen