Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Night in the Lonesome October
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:57 am 
Lady Scryer

Someone highly recommended this novel (sadly, out of print) to me recently and I finished it yesterday. It was a great deal of fun! It is told throug hthe eyes of Snuff, the dog and companion of Jack the Ripper, who is the hero of the novel! It brings in many classic horror figures such as Dracula, Frankenstein and his monster, and the Wolfman. Sherlock Holmes even puts in an appearance! If you can find this book in a library or in a used bookstore, please read!! Good stuff here!!! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/22/03 6:38 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: A Night From the Lonesome October
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:04 pm 
Lady Scryer

And now that I've sampled some Lovecraft, I can see that Zelazny included plenty of Lovecraftian moments as well.

This is a very charming book, with the main two characters being a dog and a cat. If you can find a used copy someplace,or of your local library has one, please indulge yourself! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:15 pm 
Master Pilot

I read a couple of short stories by other authors based up "Lonesome October" and they were good! They raved about the original in their afterwords. I'd love to own it. Further up, and further in!

"Come to Elfhand," the troll said.
The child thought for a while....
"N-no" said the child
"Why not?" said the troll.
"Mother made a jam roll this morning," said the child.
-the King of Elfhand's Daughter<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:45 pm 
Lady Scryer

It's sort of hard to find, but Amazon does have used copies from time to time...
Well worth the hunt...
And this is one of the outright funnest books I've read in a long, long time! I think I will be rereading it before Halloween! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:51 pm 
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I just got done reading this again. And I can say that Zelazny must have been a Lovecraft fan. He describes the dreamworld of Kadath in loving detail. Have you hugged your cat today?<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:57 pm 
Lady Scryer

ooooppps!
that was me, not my hub -- I didn't realize he was still signed in after doing his football picks! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:26 pm 
Master Pilot

I bet it must be confusing with 3 or 4 user names on one computer! Further up, and further in!

I'm from Boston. I dont pronounce my R's. I call a garbage can a barrel, a liquor store a packie, a water fountain a bubbla, a milkshake a frappe. I root for a team who has not won a World Series since 1918. To me Cape Cod is a little piece of Heaven down here on Earth. The best place to be on a summer night is Fenway. I ride on the T. I know better than to swim in the Charles River. I yell YANKEES SUCK! when the Red Sox are playing the Tigers. I am a Bostonian and I'm wicked proud of it.<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:41 am 
Lady Scryer

Actually, I'm surprised it hasn't happened more often. I think I might have done it before when the guys ask me to play with their images.
Anyway, as I was orginally saying, I think Zelazny must have been quite a fan of Lovecraft, especially his book The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath. He very lovingly describes some of the landscape of the dream world, and the plot of Lonesome October involves some of the Elder Gods from Lovecraft. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:33 pm 
Master Pilot

Just recieved a copy from duchess and will start 2nite! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:43 pm 
Lady Scryer

I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I do! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:18 pm 
Master Pilot

Hey I hope you like it Danlo! Tell me what you think about it! Further up, and further in!

I'm from Boston. I dont pronounce my R's. I call a garbage can a barrel, a liquor store a packie, a water fountain a bubbla, a milkshake a frappe. I root for a team who has not won a World Series since 1918. To me Cape Cod is a little piece of Heaven down here on Earth. The best place to be on a summer night is Fenway. I ride on the T. I know better than to swim in the Charles River. I yell YANKEES SUCK! when the Red Sox are playing the Tigers. I am a Bostonian and I'm wicked proud of it.<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:40 am 
Master Pilot

I'm 80 pages in! It's a hoot! A serious page turner (Crazy Jill) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:45 am 
Lady Scryer

I am so glad you're enjoying it! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:50 pm 
Master Pilot

"Clap for the Wolfman
he's going to reach your record high
Clap for the Wolfman
you're gonna dig him till the day you die"

I'm halfway through! This book is a blast and a great pre-Halloween threat! Larry Talbot is already my hero! The mad Arab who gave up Islam--Abdul al-Hazred--author of the Necronomicon! I love it! Elder Gods, things in mirrors! Book reminds me of Sercrets of the Illuminati-a sequel to the Illuminatus! trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson (another disciple of Lovecraft, btw)...that featured an assembledge of famous historical figures in a bar.

Here's the question that's be bugging me though: Where do Morris and McCab come from? Robert Bloch's writing? Lin Carter recommended Lovecraft, Clarke Aston Smith, Bloch and August Derleth (in one package) when he first came out with Ballentine's Adult Fantasy Series in the late 70s, and I've read all of them but Bloch? Zelazny acknowledges Shelley, Stoker, Lovecraft, Conan Doyle, Bloch, Ray Bradbury, E.A. Poe and Albert Payson Terhune. And though I've read tons of Brabury--I haven't picked up his reference yet and never even heard of Terhune. And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/23/03 9:20 am
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:16 pm 
Lady Scryer

Wasn't Larry cool? I also liked Jack and Jill -- and of course, the Quote:odd couple, odd couple. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell