Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Merlin's Chronicles - favourite character
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:42 pm 
Pilot

Here I included the characters which occur ONLY in second chronicles (and possibly in short stories), but do not occur (even episodically) in Corwin's chronicles. So I had to exclude Merlin himself, because he is also present in First Chronicles. I know, some people do not like Second Chronicles at all, but I think there are quite a lot interesting characters there.

I could put only 4+other, so I'm giving you the list of "others" (just to remind you, but this list might not be complete).
The others can be:

The ty'iga (in general or one of her bodies)
Dalt
Mandor
Julia
If you don't like humanoids you can include Ghostwheel or Frakir
You can also include some minor characters (there was a separate poll on them)Luke/RinaldoJasraJurtCoralother - please post belowShow results "Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Merlin's Chronicles - favourite character
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:03 pm 
Master Pilot

I voted for Luke/Rinaldo, who I found to be far more interesting than most of the others.

However, a close second would be Coral - I thought Zelazny could have done more with this character. What was her fate? How will her marriage with Luke turn out? Was she pregnant in the 2nd Chronicles?

Of course, Dis, your favorite was also Luke, yes? "If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:38 pm 
Pilot

Quote:Of course, Dis, your favorite was also Luke, yes?

Absolutely, my signature says everything He is also my overall favourite.

Coral is interesting, but not because her individual features, just for strange things going on around her. She herself remains rather passive, although being brought to broken pattern it was something she provoked (unintentionally?).
As you probably know the version of her pregnancy was in a draft and then it was not included in a published version, but was included into RPG.
When I looked at the websites related to Amber and most are RPG related - none of the RPG versions seems to deal with the problem of Luke's marriage and its possible annulment. In the versions I've seen they simply remain married. Although I was always curious. "Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:06 am 
Master Pilot

Although I was always curious.

As am I. "If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:21 am 
Pilot

I can see one voted "other". Is it vote for Mandor? "Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:48 am 
Master Pilot

Probably. Mandor was also fascinating, but it could have been for Julia...? -----------------
"If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:52 am 
Pilot

Ehh... it was me (forgot to post), and I mean Mandor indeed. I think this is one character first chronicles lacked. While other "players" used to combine combat skills and intrigues for their agenda, Mandor seems to rely heavily on "intellectual warfare". While such manipulative characters usually get the "evil genius" roles in books and movies, in this multiverse he would fit perfectly on any possible side. "Good. Bad. I'm the one with the gun." -- Ash, Army of Darkness<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:09 pm 
Pilot

I like Mandor's cooking abilities On the other hand I can't say I like characters with no human feelings at all.My impression is that Mandor would do anything that could be useful for him, with no moral objections. I is to certain extent true in case of many characters, but in most of them there are certain limits. Mandor seems to regard no limits.
As far as using intellectual powers by characters of First Chronicles - Fiona would be the closest to Mandor. Maybe Dara as well, but Dara uses also other powers than intelect. "Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:13 am 
Master Pilot

Yes, and Mandor also used sorcery to his advantage as well.

I saw an RPG that had Mandor as the puppetmaster behind the Chaosian throne. I think that such a role befits him well. By the way, this particular RPG, which I found very interesting indeed, also had Dara as Queen of Amber, with Julian as her Consort and Benedict as general of the legions. Corwin is an outlaw, and has disappeared. Interesting stuff. I'll post the link if I can find it. -----------------
"If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i>Edited by: mhoram6910 at: 8/3/05 8:14 pm
</i>

Post subject: Luke:)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:25 pm 
Pilot

Mandor was certainly interesting, but I loved Luke. I loved the friendship between Luke and Merlin- this generation once removed from the parent's struggles. They both acted out of duty, but without having a lot of heart in any "cause" other than, later, friendship.

Just loved em <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Luke:)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:39 pm 
Pilot

Very well said, Elm I can just add that there is no equivallent for such a pair in Corwin's Chronicles. Corwin and Random are the closest, but they are more calculating, there is less friendship in their relationships, rather it looks like an aliance. "Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>