Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Your favourite "small" character of Amber series
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:13 pm 
Pilot

The forum was hacked, we lost some posts and no one seems to post here. Just to renew the discussion - maybe for the beginning some characters, which are not main characters, usually appear once or twice, but sometimes are worth remembering. I gave 4 such examples (two from Corwin's Chronicles and two from Merlin's), and put "other" option.Lord ReinLorraineGilvaRhandaotherShow results "Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Your favourite "small" character of Amber seri
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:28 pm 
Pilot

Well I can see one more person chose Rhanda. I particularly like the description:

Quote:The lady within had long, coal-black hair and eyes so dark
I could not tell where the pupils left off and the irises began. Her
complexion was very pale, emphasized perhaps by her pink eye shadow and lip
coloring. Those eyes. . . . "Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:54 pm 
Master Pilot

Dis,

Out of those options- I'd choose either Rein who seemed like a nice dude, or Lorraine. Corwin's vision of her with his agreement with Eric and Benedict showed the possibilities that their love affair could have yielded. "If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:36 pm 
Pilot

You do not have to pick up out of these options, because I put "other" option. You can propose your own choice. Of course the problem is who can be call "small" (minor) character. There are some characters appearing once or twice, but they seem to important to call them "minor".
"Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:22 pm 
Master Pilot

Dis,

Ah, in that case might I choose Llewella? She had very few appearances and played no role in the initial conflict in the first chronicles, and was still pretty minor in the second chronicles. I liked her character though.

Who else would you consider "minor"? "If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:51 pm 
Pilot

Actually Llewella is "in between". She has few apperances in both Chronicles (I've never counted the lines, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lorraine turned out to have not much less). On the other hand she is one of the elders and we bear in mind that she is always present nearby.

Definitely minor characters (apart from already mentioned) would be (I can't mention everyone, just some I remember best):

Moire (appears only at the beginning of 9PiA, then only mentioned about)

Jospin

Lance

Roger

Victor Melman

Meg Devlin (actually poorely present as herself, only in one occasion)

Dave

Vinta Bayle (see the above comment)

Delwin

Sand (does not appear at all, but is well described)
Arkans (see the above)
Gramble Sawall (see the above)

Droppa

Gryll (not human, but intelligent)
Glait (see the above)

Suhuy - actually maybe too important for the multiverse to be cosidered minor
Swayvill - see the above

"Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:16 am 
Master Pilot

Dis,
Quote: Actually Llewella is "in between". She has few apperances in both Chronicles (I've never counted the lines, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lorraine turned out to have not much less). On the other hand she is one of the elders and we bear in mind that she is always present nearby.
Okay, I can accept that.

As for the other "minors": King Swayvil was interesting, but I liked Sand and Delwin the best of the list.

Queen Moire of Rebma was also a good character.

What was the name of the Hendrake Duke that Corwin dueled? "If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:20 pm 
Pilot

Lord Borel - together with his pattern ghost he seems to be quite important. "Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:07 pm 
Pilot

Borel's role in Merlin's chronicles made me think of horror movies villains - or Terminator. Like, you can slow one down, but not destroy. No suspense here, though, for unlike most horror movies protagonists, Merlin is hardly impressed by such persistence. "Good. Bad. I'm the one with the gun." -- Ash, Army of Darkness<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:52 pm 
Pilot

But something that makes Borel something different from an ordinary villain is that he really cannot be called evil. He fights on the other side, but that hardly makes him evil. He fights clean, unlike Corwin. He introduces some "mental discomfort" I would say. "Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:55 am 
Master Pilot

I liked Jopin a lot. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:35 pm 
Pilot

So you should vote "other".
I remember Jopin when he lets Corwin know he recognized him. It is an interesting scene, because all the time Corwin believed he was not recognized. "Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>