Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Amber - casting
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:17 pm 
Pilot

This link gives some proposals for casting in a hypothetic Amber movie/series

link "Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Amber - casting
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:20 am 
Master Pilot

OOOO Sean Connery as Oberon! Sean Penn as Brand, interesting--I like Partick Bergin as Eric too... *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:01 pm 
Master Pilot

Dis,

Interesting pics there.

Definitely not Tom Sellec for Benedict!! LOL This Jeremy Irons looks just like I picture him, but Liam Neeson could be okay.

I like Cruise as Bleys and Depp as Brand.

Antonio Banderas would be my pick for Caine.

Actually..I prefer Cruise as Corwin! He's a good scoundrel (see War of the Worlds).

Winona Rider is good for Dara.

Deirdre is too tough to pick. Too many hot brunettes to choose from. :P

Woody Allen as Dworkin=GENIUS!!! lol

Daniel Day Lewis as Eric.

Julianne Moore as Fiona.

Nicole Kidman as Flora--good pick.

I don't really like their Gerard picks...but from the pictures I'd choose the Gérard Depardieu guy.

I don't like their Julian picks either, and can't choose out of them. Yuck.

Bullock or Gilbert would be good for Llewella.

This Julian Sands could be a good Mandor.

Edward Norton for Merlin.

And yes, as Danlo said Connery would be a great Oberon.

Barry Watson for Random.

I'm not liking the Luke picks either.

"If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:42 pm 
Pilot

OK. My selection:

Benedict - Jeremy Irons
Bill Roth - Alan Rickman
Bleys - Kenneth Branagh
Brand - Michael T. Weiss
Caine - Antonio Banderas
Coral - Jennifer Connoly
Corwin - Pierce Brosnan
Dalt - Kurt Russel
Dara - Winona Rider
Deirdre - Juliette Binoche (provided she has eyes made blue)
Dworkin - Woody Allen (what he would look like without glasses

Eric - Ben Affleck
Fiona - Julianne Moore
Flora - Nicole Kidman
Gérard - Gérard Depardieu
Jasra - Marcia Cross
Julia - Neve Campbell
Julian - Nicholas Cage - if I had to chose, but I have my own choice - Nicholas Rogers (Tarabas in "Fantaghiro"
Jurt - Ethan Hawke (but I prefer him as Merlin and someone similar as Jurt
Llewella - Angela Basset
Mandor - David Bowie (but I'm not totally convinced)
Martin - James Morrow
Merlin - Johnny Depp (but not quite convinced)
Oberon - Sean Connery (Harisson Ford would make a good Ganelon)
Random - Michael J. Fox
Rinaldo - Eric Stolz
Suhuy - Donald Sutterland
Vialle - Sean Young

"Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:03 am 
Master Pilot

OOO I disagree!!!

Viggo Mortenson, Sean Bean or Christian Bale as Corwin
still go with Patrick Bergin as Eric
Jim Carrey as Random!!

how in the world did you make the cool little "winky" box? *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:30 pm 
Master Pilot

Bowie as Mandor=good call.

btw: I'm assuming the smiley is in a box because it's part of the link. "If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:22 pm 
Pilot

Yes, there was ; and ) in the link ad it was formed as a smiley. I meant my choice serious.

Viggo Mortensen as Corwin? Could be. However I always thought about Brossnan or about the actor playing Arthur in "King Arthur" (forgot his name )

Another thing I am thinking about (probably impossible to achieve). How to make all the Amberites looking similar (as members of one family)? It is important and possible to make Merlin similar to Corwin, but it can be difficult with the rest. I know that similarities were quite well achieved in "Visual Guide", but these were drawings. My choice for Llewella was an exotic looking actress to show that she was differrent (she would be green, anyway). In this case Moire, Vialle and Martin should also have something exotic in their features. However, possibly not all the Rebmans looked exotic. "Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i>Edited by: Dis the Dwarvette at: 7/16/05 9:36 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:21 pm 
Master Pilot

Dis,

Ah yeah, I remember we discussed the Arthur guy as Corwin.

Regarding Rebmans: As a rule, I believe they are all green-skinned etc. aren't they? I'm sure they'd be depicted more or less the same. And Llewella must be exotic looking.

All I'd hope for from an Amber movie/miniseries would be more or less an accurate depiction of the major players in Amber. "If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:41 pm 
Pilot

Quote:Regarding Rebmans: As a rule, I believe they are all green-skinned etc. aren't they? I'm sure they'd be depicted more or less the same.

No, not all were green-skinned. Vialle was not.
RZ mentions that Rebmans had green, purple of black hair and green eyes (one had brown eyes).
Definitely Moire and Llewella had green skin. "Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:00 am 
Master Pilot

Dis,

Ah. I do stand corrected. "If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:07 pm 
Pilot

hello folks- some of you might remember me from the old board

Problem with casting Corwin is you'd need an actor in mid thirties (since that's what Corwin passed for) who has the presence of an older actor. Hard to make work! <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:55 pm 
Pilot

Glad to see you back, Elmtree.
I think, nowadays with good techniques of make-up it won't be much problem to make a younger actor looking older or an older one younger.
We know that Corwin looked like mid thirties at the beginning of the book. While his imprisonment he looked about 50 and then he probably again looked younger, but possibly not much younger. So I think an actor between 34 and 50 will be acceptable. The candidates given more or less fit this pattern.
What about his sibblings? Some are older, some younger. Benedict is much older, so he might look about 40-50. Eric is slightly older, but he might look a bit younger, because Corwin had particularly hard life. The youngest is Random, but he is still very old compared to human life. The only really young are people of next generation (Merlin, Luke) and Oberon's children appearing in second series - Dalt and Coral - they can be late twenties (or look like that). "Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:29 pm 
Pilot

the Amberites did not age much, though. Oberon looked older, but he was a shapeshifter, and probably picked an age that suited him at various times.

Corwin said "36" was always safe, and I figured the other amberites also had that "ageless" quality- some of the actors listed would have been good a few years ago, but I think are 'aged out' of the equasion now. Yeah, there is some wiggle room... 30-40 maybe. It's easier to have make up make someone look older when they are young, than younger when they are older.

Problem... Screen Presence. Younger Actors usually don't have the presence that older actors do (also, actors that are also stage actors tend to have a lot more of this than the "model-to-movies" types). So if you go too young, you can lose what any amberite ought to have... a strong PRESENCE and charisma. <i></i>