Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Names in Amber Chronicles
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:22 pm 
Pilot

Zelazny uses many names known from other contexts. The use of these names seems not to be accidental.

Here is the link home.htva.net/~jdettman/Shadownet/names.html explaining some of these names.

There are some details not mentioned here - for example - in case of Merlin they say:

Quote:Of Arthurian legend. Early in the myths of Merlin he is said to be the a king of South Wales. Later, in the writings of the Burgundian poet, Robert de Boron, he was noted as being the offspring of a demon and having a confident called Blaise who recorded all his prophesies. Note that Bleys played a integral part of the visions which Merlin had near the end of "Prince Of Chaos".

I would also add the bit that both Amber Merlin and Arthurian Merlin (at least according to some versions) were imprisoned in a crystal cave (by persons they both trusted)

I would like to ask about some names not explained there:

Amber (why this name?)

Jasra - there is such a plase in Bahrain and also in India

Kashfa - in swahili means "blasphemy" - at least I could figure out from my google research.

Any ideas? "Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Names in Amber Chronicles
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:13 am 
Lady Scryer

Amber itself is a rather unique gemstone. As far as I know it is the only gemstone we use that sometimes contains remians of ancient insects, etc.

A bit about amber from a website:
Quote:
Amber in human history

The collecting of amber can be traced to prehistoric times, with raw pieces (uncarved) being found in various caves across Europe. Ornaments such as beads have been dated back to 11,000BC, while more complex objects such as amulets have been traced to 7000BC.

Despite these occurrences, the trade of amber is not believed to have been significant until 3000BC and it was during the Bronze Age that the amber trade routes were established.

Amber was significant to many cultures, with the ancient Greeks, Egyptians, Romans and North American Indians holding it in high esteem.

Many such cultures believed the object to be the product of a god and also to have medicinal properties, thus it was an important item of trade. Over time, amber has become a valued object merely due to its aesthetic qualities and nowadays is valued amongst collectors, artists and jewellers alike.

Zelazny was very interested in ancient cultures and world mythology. Perhaps he knew of some ancient stories about amber, and picked the name from such a source? ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:51 pm 
Pilot

Amber was very precious in the area of the Mediterranean, because in those times the only source was the coast of the Baltic Sea. Travelling there was dangerous, so amber was very expensive. It is true. On the other hand, in the area near the Baltic coast it was rather cheap and the travellers were impressed seeing ordinary peasant women wearing amber necklaces.

Amber comes from the sea. In "Amber" series we have its reflection in the sea - Rebma. "Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:30 am 
Master Pilot

I believe I've seen that site before, Dis. It's very interesting, albeit possibly over-analyzing. -----------------
"If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:48 pm 
Pilot

I think I (or someone else) posted this thread to the old Endless Shadows.
You might be right that i is sometimes over-analysed - for example in case of Julian, which is quite a common name and this explanation does not fit Julian's character:

Quote:
Possibly named after Julian the Apostate (331-363). He was raised a christian but converted to pagan beliefs in his youth. He became Emperor of Rome in 361 and began reviving pagan worship, especially that of Mithra. He was slain in battle during an expedition in Persia.
"Damn you, Luke. You always make the stupidest things sound sort of attractive."
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:28 pm 
Master Pilot

Very true. Emperor Julian has nothing to do with Julian of Amber. -----------------
"If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i></i>