[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - This Immortal/...and Call Me Conrad

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: This Immortal/...and Call Me Conrad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:01 pm 
Master Pilot

Post subject: Re: This Immortal/...and Call Me Conrad
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:03 pm 
Master Pilot

Looks awesome! I'll have to read it! Further up, and further in!

"Come to Elfhand," the troll said.
The child thought for a while....
"N-no" said the child
"Why not?" said the troll.
"Mother made a jam roll this morning," said the child.
-the King of Elfhand's Daughter<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:24 pm 
Master Pilot

Yes u will u u! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:00 pm 
Master Pilot

Further up, and further in!

"N-no" said the child

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:50 am 
Lady Scryer

I read it a long time ago, and remember it as being a good read. I recently got a used copy, and it is in my read/reread pile... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:03 pm 
Master Pilot

Surprise surprise Further up, and further in!

"N-no" said the child

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:03 pm 
Master Pilot

Well I bought it 4 $1.25 now if I can find time 2 ! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:32 pm 
Lady Scryer

It's a small book, if you want, let me know when you would like to start it and perhaps we can read it at the same time... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: mm.... conrad...mmm... :b
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:47 pm 
Pilot

Yeah it was a good book. I however found the character to be kind of like Corwin... am I crazy or does anyone else agree? Good book though... i have like an old ass copy... looks like its from the 70's...hehe... (its my dads)
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: mm.... conrad...mmm... :b
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:13 pm 
Master Pilot

Ok duchy better start reading! I'm 35 pages in and loving it-I love Zelazny's dry wit and the description of the costumes, shuttle taxi, hall and Vegans are outstanding! The way he just sorta melds you smoothly from RL to the SF format was very nice too...
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:10 pm 
Lady Scryer

OK, I'll throw it in my purse and get started on my breaks at work tonight. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:01 pm 
Master Pilot

It was a little hokey and a little strange around Cheops but gets much better at Karnak--and the description of the Vegans' "rescue" of we poor earthlings. Very interesting and plausible theory-that after a mad rush into space we stagnate and eventually implode on ourselves for lack of a competent interstellar drive. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:31 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

Just started this last night. I can tell it's gonna be weird, maybe even weirder than LoL. It's cool that it's set in the same world as Damnation Alley, only further ahead in the future. They've still got giant bats, thank goodness, although I think we find out that the bats aren't mutants, rather they were brought to earth from Titan.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:33 pm 
Lady Scryer

I had not ever realized that those two books (both of which I like) are set on the same Earth. :) Great catch! :D 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:13 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

Yeah, I'm actually glad I read Alley first; I'm not sure I'd even realize it was a post-apocalyptic story if I hadn't (well, assuming I hadn't read the dust cover of the book). I certainly wouldn't know what "The Three Days" were, or what the references to Titan colonies meant.

This book is really funny.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.