Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jack of Shadows
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:20 am 
Pilot

This was the first book I read by Roger Zelazny and it's one of my favorites, roughly its about a world that does not spin and therefore has a permanant dark side and a permanant light side, Jack comes from the shadow world inbetween. Its an easy read and if you can get hold of a copy its a good introduction to the worlds of Roger Zelazny. Danlo - I think I know why you don't rate this book up there with the tales of Amber, it is a bit lightweight in comparison but since it was my first it holds a special place in my heart. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Jack of Shadows
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:20 pm 
Pilot

I personally liked the two Pol Detson books, "Changeling" and "Madwand". It was about a young boy who was switched at birth with a child from another world. When things start to happen that the man who switched him can't control, he goes back for the boy who becomes a power mage. Fun book series, even if it was only two.

D.W. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:53 am 
Pilot

Unfortunately JoS has been out of print for almost 20 years and is almost impossible to get hold of these days.

But I have noticed that a few of Zelaznys older work has been appearing in reprints now and hopefully JoS will appear soon too.
"I am Reave the Just. I have come as I have always come, for blood - the blood of kinship and retribution. Blood is the coin in which I pay my debts, and it is the coin in which I exact restitution." - Reave the Just<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:04 pm 
Master Pilot

Welcome Ryzel (Isengrim) thanks 4 taking my suggestion @ the Watch--as u can c we definately need Zelazny buffs here! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:30 pm 
Master Pilot

Yep, they're getting re-printed in Ibooks versions. But they're way too overpriced. Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:27 pm 
Lady Scryer

I think tha tthese are the ones getting reprinted in trade paperbacks -- I picked up a couple last week at Barnes and Noble. Really old ones, I've never heard of those two books before. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 7/12/03 1:13 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:14 pm 
Lady Scryer

Here is the cover desciption of this out of print and hard to locate classic by Roger Zelazny:
The Earth no longer rotates. Sciences rule the dayside of the globe, Magic rules the World of Night. Shadowjack the Thief, who broke the Compact and duped the Lord of High Dudgeon; who was beheaded in Ingles and rose again from the Dung Pits of Glyve; who drank the blood of a vampire and swallowed a stone - Shadowjack walks in silence and shadows to seek vengeance upon his enemies.
Who are his foes? All who would despise him or love the Lord of Bats: Smage of the Jackass Ears, the Colonel Who Never Died, the Borshin, and Quazar, winner of the Hellgames and abductor of the voluptuous Evene. One by one, Shadowjack would seek them out and have his revenge, building his power as he goes.
And once his vengeance is obtained, he would come to terms with all others who are against him, he would unite the World of High Dudgeon, destroy the Land of Filth, and bring peace to the Shadowguard. But to accomplish all, Jack of Shadows must find Kolwynia, the Key That Was Lost...

This piece immediately brings all sorts of questions to my mind. What are these dung pits? Who is the person with Jackass Ears? Who could Jack of Shadows still be alive if he was beheaded in this Ingles place?? I am looking forward to reading this one -- it sounds both as weird and as wonderful as only Zelazny can be! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:38 am 
Lady Scryer

It is a fairly short book and I managed to read it all today!

It was both weird and wonderful as only Zelazny can do -- God, what an imagination that man had!

As with many of his books, this one made me think of world mythoogy -- in this case, Russian. Some of the elements of Russian myth in it incluse a kidnapped princess (who is ensnared in a spell which affects her emotions and mind), a wise old crone who has healing abilities (the most famous fidure in Russian myths/legends might be Baba Yaga, an old crone/ witch figure ), and a soul which is located in an inanimate object.

Besides being a great straitfprward adventure story, there are deeper levels of meaning about power and corruption...and one character even brings to mind Lucifer from Paradise Lost... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>