Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lord of Light Character List
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:28 am 
Lady Scryer

There are an awful lot of characters in this book, and we're only one chapter into the group read! To help keep my own sanity, I am making a character list, and will attempt to keep it current as we go!

SAM= Mahasamatman, Kalkin, Manjusri, Siddhartha, Tathagatha, Binder, maitreya, The Enlightened One, Buddha, Sam, The Lord of Light

RATRI = the Goddess of Night (currently in a middle aged mortal body)

YAMA-DHARMA = the God of Death, seems to be pretty handy with machines

TAK = formerly known as Tak of the Bright Spear, who worked in the archives of the gods, currently reincarnated in the body of an ape

RALTARIKI = demon who Sam gambles with

RAKASHA = "demons", AKA original inhabitants of the world before humans arrived from earth, creatures of energy rather than matter

GANDHIJI = head of Ratri's order of monks, about 93 years old

BALARMA = priest of Ratri's order

ARAM = name taken by Mara in disguise

MARA = Lord of Illusion, The Dreamer, one of the gods Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 2/21/03 1:28:55 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: Lord of Light Character List
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:03 am 
Lady Scryer

SIDHARTHA -- Binder of Demons -- name used by Sam in an earlier life when he was a prince, known as one of the First

THE FIRST -- first generation of humans, ones who originally came to the world from Earth

STRAKE-- advisor to Prince Sidhartha

HAWKANA -- hostel keeper in city called Mahartha (the Capital of Dawn)

MANKARA -- muscian in Hawkana's hostel

DELE -- stable boy in Hawkana's hostel, a muscian in a former life

JAN OLVEGG -- a sea captain, once the captain of the ship which brought humans from Earth -- one of the First

OLVAGGA-- another name for Jan Olvegg

JANAGGA-- another name for Jan Olvegg, used when he is a sailmaker in Mahartha

MASTERS OF KARMA -- the body mercheants-- grow bodies without souls for use in reincarnations when people's old bodies wear out -- they perform brain probes, jusge peoples' lives and karma, pick out your new body's species and health based upon your karma

TRIMURTI -- trinity of ruling gods, includes Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva

BRAHMA-- one of the gods, originally a woman names madeleine, now in a male body

SHAN OF IRABEK -- elderly man and distant neighbor of Sidhartha, ruler of a nearby place

NARADA -- Sidhartha's physician

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:57 am 
Lady Scryer

MAHASAMATMAN -- the Teacher -- also called TATHAGATHA (He Who Has Achieved) -- name of Sam during his Buddha period

KALI-- goddess, also called DURGA, the goddess of death and destruction, has special assassins called Holy Executioners in her service

VASU -- a merchant who owned a grove of trees near the city of Alundil -- gives the grove to Buddha

RILD -- an assassin in the service of the goddess Kali

SUGATA -- another name for Rild

SIMHA -- monk who follows the Buddha

GARUDA -- name of the spirit bird, the mount of Vishnu, can only be ridden by gods Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:14 am 
Lady Scryer

PANNALAL THE SAGE -- a sage who entered Hellwell, prison of the Rakasha, and became Pannalal the Mad

VIDEGHA -- rajah of the northern kingdom of Malwa, notorious for his high tax rates

TARAKA -- an imprisoned Rakasha, the speaker for all of its race

LORD AGNI -- the God of Fire, Lord of Flame, carries an invincible firewand supposedly capable of scorching the surface of the moons, given to him by Yama

SHIVA -- god, the Lord of Destruction -- carries the power of chaos and can seperate atom from atom -- carries a trident that breaks down the forms of all things he turns it upon (given to him by Yama, of course). Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:52 am 
Lady Scryer

VISHNU -- the preserver, god who was once an architectural artist, the planner of heaven, considered least of the Trimurti

LAKSHMI -- dweller in Heaven, called the lovely

KUBERA-- dweller in Heaven, Fourth Keeper of the World, called the Fat

GUARI -- dweller in heaven, called the fair, one of Krishna's lovers

LORD KRISHNA THE DARK -- a god who plays the pipes, he is the god of Divine Drunkeness

SITALA -- dweller in heaven who once angered Kali and was clawed up by her when Kali was in an animal form

KARTIKEYA -- Lord of Battles, one a lover of Kali, who killed him

RUDRA THE GRIM --dweller in heaven -- an archer, who has heat tracking arrows given to him by Yama

LORD MURUGAN -- the god of youth, a fertility deity

KALKIN -- Sam's name when he was one of the First, the name he wore when he became the Binder of Demons

CANDI THE FIERCE -- the name used by kali when she was one of the First

MAYA -- dweller in Heaven, the Mistress of Illusion

GANESHA -- dweller in Heaven, caled the God-Maker

HELBA-- the god and goddess of thieves, alters gender with each incarnation

ADASAY -- a poet

LORD VAYU --dweller in Heaven, controls the winds

CITRAGUPTA -- Lord Yama's servant

PARVATI -- goddess said to have a close personal connection with Sam

LORD VARUNA -- god, called the Just

SARVASVATI -- a beautiful dancer in Heaven

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:12 pm 
Lady Scryer

VAMA -- a merchant who is an accelerationist, a relative of the man who gave the grove of trees to Buddha

KABADA -- Vama's neighbor

LORD NIRRITI THE BLACK -- Lord of Evil, an opponent of the gods, of heaven, grows zombies, one of the First, once called Renfrew and was a Christian chaplain to the First

DALISSA -- last of her kind, of a native alien species, A Mother of the Terrible Glow

BORA -- a demigod of Heaven

TIKAN -- a demigod of Heaven

I know how busy Danlo has been, so I went ahead and finished the book...it was a very good read! This is my last list of character names...
Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 3/18/03 11:12:46 am
</i>