[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Group Read: Lord of Light, Chapter 1 on Endless Shadows

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Group Read: Lord of Light, Chapter 1 on Endless Shadows
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:31 pm 
Master Pilot

(General note: This this a closed topic--it will be constantly updated but you must wait at least 1 week until it is opened 4 ur comments here. U must go 2 the Endless Shadows Forum {through the banner} above 2 actively b involved in the discussion, b4 it opens here)

benedict
(ed.'s note: benedict is mhoram6910's handle @ Endless Shadows) King of Amber
Master of Arms
Chapter 1: Lord of Light
« Thread started on: Feb 14th, 2003, 08:26am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What a chapter! It starts off with Tak the Reincarnated Ape, Yama a Fallen God, bringing back Sam, or once Buddha. Ratri, a recently fallen goddess is also present. Yama, Ratri, and Tak want Sam to help them take down the Gods of the Celestial City, or at least thats how I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong.
Yama and Ratri give Sam time to walk by himself, and meditate. Once, while Tak is following Sam, he watches as Sam performs some ritual with a demon, or one of the original inhabitants of this planet before Man came from a Fallen Earth.
Back at the monastery, where Tak, Ratri, Sam, and Yama are, a beggar named Aram arrives. He has one eye. Aram inquires with the monks of the Buddhist Order theological theological questions, and reveals that he would like to speak with a scholar.
Yama appears, and reveals that it is not Aram, but Mara, the Dreamer, a great God. Mara is defeated, and killed without hope of reincarnation. The monks are troubled, and Yama has Sam give a sermon to them.
Sam does this, it was quite a speech, that I'd rather not get into... After the speech, Ratri, Yama, Sam, and Tak leave the monastery to go to a Palace far away. They are on quest!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Further up, and further in!

duchess of malfi
Shadow-Lord
Re: Chapter 1: Lord of Light
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14th, 2003, 11:32am »

I'm not sure I'd call their destination a palace!

You summed up things well, I have to say I am enjoying the book -- Zelazny is quite witty, especially the bits where they are discussing their (ahem) destination.

benedict
King of Amber
Master of Arms
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14th, 2003, 3:11pm »

Where was their destination again? I can't remember..

danlo
Shadow-dweller
« Reply #3 on: Today at 3:23pm »

I just got back in2 Lord of Light and am very impressed by Zelazny's style. His use of language, differing POVs and humor r very different than Amber and very rewarding.

A "pleasure palace" the Place of Kama in Khaipur.

Quote:
"The Fornicatorium, madam?"
She frowned, "As such it is often known to the vulgar, and do not call me madam in the same breath-it smacks of an ancient jest..."

Quote:
Who would ever think to look for the Buddah in a whorehouse?
« Last Edit: Today at 3:25pm by danlo » Logged

His followers called him Mahasamatman and said he was a god. He preferred to drop the Maha- and the- atman, however, and called himself Sam.

danlo
Shadow-dweller
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16th, 2003, 9:25pm »

I looked at the 'Death-God's, or Yama's, pray-machine as more of a radio telescope (like those at the VLA) than just a short wave. Yes those 'energy creatures' are wild--I would like to know some more about them...they seem like an unknowable native species of the planet. Sam gambles with their essences in order to affirm his new existence on the mortal plane.

The monks even talk about ahimsa with 'Aram' how cool!! True, Mara is an Elightened One and speaks of the Dreamer but he, instead, is Lord of Illusion--they sent him as a spy--they suspect and are getting closer, time to move...Tak is so cool!

benedict
King of Amber
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17th, 2003, 08:56am »

And Sam used the demons on his last attack. Who did he attack last, again?

And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 2/19/03 4:26:39 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: Group Read: Lord of Light, Chapter 1 on Endless Shadows
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:21 am 
Master Pilot

Ur now free 2 move about the country! Actually if u r now, or have read Lord of Light fell free 2 comment, and join the Group Read on this thread and the Duchesess' LofL Chapter 2 thread... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:31 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

Just started this book yesterday. It's definitely weird as hell in the beginning, but once it gets going, it's really good. I can't wait to find out what the hell is really going on.

It's odd that the first chapter is so long. All I've read from Zelazny is the first Amber chronicles. Those books had pretty quick chapter, ranging from maybe 8-15 pages. The first chapter of this book had a whopping 41 pages. I'm like, what, is this Steven Erikson, or something? And the second chapter is 41 pages, too.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:47 pm 
Lady Scryer

I got a chance to start on a reread last night. 8) I am now going to chase after FarmUrTed. :wink:

The thing that sticks out in my mind in this read is all of the sly little jokes and humorous bits Zelazny slips into the text. The Palace which is really a brothel, and the Goddess objecting to Madam. Sam only responding to Sam when he wakes up in his new body, and not all of those high falutin' titles. The gambling between Sam and the Demons. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Image Image