Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Famous Lord of Light topic!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:49 pm 
Master Pilot

Here it IS folks!! Just what y'all have been waiting 4: The Famous Lord of Light topic! I'm about 10 pages in and already my head is spinning--which is not fair @ all after it totally xploded @ the end of A Clash of Kings!

2 paraphase some of the things I said on Lord Mhoram's brand new, VERY cool Amber board, Endless Shadows: I first read this book back in '72 along with Aldous Huxley's Doors of Preception & The Lamps of His Eyes the Doors of his Mouth. Combine that with The Nightland and some very strange Lovecraft and u come up w/pantheons byond pantheons of eerie, disturbing gods and Other gods!!!

These books seemed 2 have been meant 2 all fit in with each other and sent me off on a lifelong quest 2 study World Religions, Philosophy and question the meaning of life! (Thank god the Neverness books REALLY help in putting all those question in2 meaningful contexts or I still might b crazy! )

I can't wait 2 hear ur take on this great book and get in2 some intense s and discussions! (I'm almost ready 2 take up yoga and meditation! Come 2 think of it: just where in the heck did I put my Chi? ) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 1/19/03 2:21:40 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: The Famous Lord of Light topic!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:47 pm 
Lady Scryer

I haven't been able to find my copy yet , but will be joining you as soon as I do!
I read this a long time ago, and remember it as being fantastic! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:14 am 
Master Pilot

Wait for me to finish Earthsea (theyre short books!) and then Ill start Lord of Light!!!! Further up, and further in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:16 pm 
Pilot

I'll trust you've read changeling and madwand? I prefered them over Lord of Light

D.W.

Don't Piss Off The Mage....<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:10 pm 
Master Pilot

I've never really heard of those books Darth--fresh meat in the future, yum!!

I just got back in2 Lord of Light and am very impressed by Zelazny's style. His use of language, differing POVs and humor r very different than Amber and very rewarding.

Quote:"The Fornicatorium, madam?"
She frowned, "As such it is often known to the vulgar, and do not call me madam in the same breath-it smacks of an ancient jest..."
Quote:Who would ever think to look for the Buddah in a whorehouse? And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:03 pm 
Pilot

I remember reading "Lord of Light" in my teens and finding it fascinating! Later, one of the things I found most impressive was how he blended seemingly contemporary language and sensibilities yet showed how spirituality still existed right there. "GOD created Man in his own image. Man, being a gentleman, returned the courtesy." -Voltaire<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:45 am 
Lady Scryer

I'm ready to go guys, whenever you are! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:15 pm 
Master Pilot

WOOOOHOOO! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Post subject: First Lines
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:57 am 
Pilot

I'd just like to say LOL had maybe the best first paragraph of any Science Fiction novel ever! That line alone has gotten folks to read it! I know because that's how I "sold" some folks on reading this novel. heh heh heh... <i></i>

Post subject: Re: First Lines
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:06 pm 
Master Pilot

Let's go!! Further up, and further in!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: First Lines
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:17 pm 
Lady Scryer

Are we starting soon??? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

Post subject: Read ready 2 start but how do u want 2 4mat it????
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:33 pm 
Master Pilot

As soon as someone decides 2 post something! I'm through the 1st 2 chapts so I'm ready...do u just want 2 post here or do u want 2 do official chapt by chapt READ 4mat? And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Post subject: Re: Read ready 2 start but how do u want 2 4mat it????
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:11 am 
Lady Scryer

I just read the first two chapters, and found them to be treat! Zelazny is so witty!! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:30 pm 
Master Pilot

Go to ES, I posted a thread for chapter 1! Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:55 pm 
Master Pilot

We'r doing it here 2, budha, er: bubba! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.