Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: "Lord of Shadows", the Chronicles of Amber PC game
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:17 am 
Pilot

I have just started working on this porject of making a computer game based on the series. I still have to learn a lot about programming (im an amateur now) and develop the idea, but i still want to post this. The main reason is to ask for suggestions, comments, etc. Soon, I'll have a website to contain this, but until then, I'll use this topic. So say whatever you have to say about LoS (Lord of Shadows, as I decided to call it) say it here... I won't use any of the original characters except Dworkin. By the way, if you have information as to who holds the copyright, I would like to know (Anyone who I thought would have the copyright is out of reach or no longer alive). I think that is all. I might post a description of the game's elements, for those of you who are curious. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: "Lord of Shadows", the Chronicles of Amber PC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 4:04 am 
Master Pilot

Hi NercoMage and welcome 2 the Hangar, please do register an become a member! This does sound like a very interesting project--there r not 2 many Zelazny discussion sites out there--and some Zelazny-ites r kinda quirky folk--I've been contacted by 3, recently, who say they like the Hangar, love Zelazny and r anxious 2 become members--but they still haven't shown up yet! I haven't blasted the Zelazny portion all over the search engines, yet--and we r a pretty new site but I have name dropped the Hangar and this Forum on about as many sites as possible--I'm sure they will come in time. Any help u, or any1, can offer would b greatly appreciated! FTZ has great possibilities as ur project does! Have u seen "Your Favorite Amberite" thread? There is a character glossary u may find helpful. I'm sure Prince of Amber, other Pilots and, definately, myself will work 2 help u on this as much as possible! danlo The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/25/02 3:46:29 pm
</i>

Post subject: Description
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:56 pm 
Pilot

Thanks for the welcome, I'm gonna be a member as soon as they send me the email. Anyway, here's the description: The game will be about diplomacy, life, and pretty much everything that goes on in an Amberite's life. You will get to choose your birthplace when you create a new character (Rebma,Courts of Chaos,or Amber). You can also choose to be the son/daughter of an already existing character, but only if they have been with a man/woman. Your character will have to eat, drink, sleep, and keep good moral. Without moral, your character will become unpredictable and go berserk at times. To raise moral, you can fight, drink alcohol, watch TV even, etc. As an Amberite/Chaosite, you will live indefinately unless you are killed. For the sake of realism, you die once and cannot save in the middle of the game. You make the story, and because of that, the game heavily relies on NPCs. Some will be short tempered, some smart, some sly, etc. While traversing shadow, you'll have 3 dimensions to travel along. Changing each one will change the Shadow. The maximum is 230 in each direction. 0,0,0 is Amber, and 231,231,231 is Courts of Chaos. Most of the game will be randomly generated the first time you start it. Any players that are sharing your comp or internet game will exist in one universe and therefore may interact. Playing alone is also possible, as a few "drone" characters can be created. Whenever your char is not under your control (in between playing sessions) you may choose to put it in drone mode, whereas it will have an A.I. This is made so you char doesnt get murdered in the middle of the night because he is inactive. However, drone mode (depending on its level) may cause your char to do things that you would never have done at that point of time. The game is far from finished, so dont ask for release dates I believe that is all, any questions? <i></i>

Post subject: I have a question...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:02 pm 
Pilot

What the hell is that title under the ppl's name's? I dont get what it means (pilot, journeyman, the Timekeeper) I woul guess that it is a rank of some kind, but im not sure... P.S. reply to the post before this one too <i></i>

Post subject: Re: I have a question...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:51 pm 
Master Pilot

This forum is dedicated 2 David Zindell's Neverness series--xplantions of the title can b found in the "Makeshift Membership" thread in Snowy Owl Chat and also in the Neverness Glossary in Falling 2 Neverness forum, Journeymen Die thread. Pilot is a great title, btw!--U can also find out what Fenestering, Heaume, Ahira and other terms used around the board mean in that Glossary! I will contact Vain and ask him 2 help u he runs 1 or 2 MUDs--or at least is pretty involved w/them--he can probably help u alot w/the technical developement. The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/25/02 3:57:39 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: I have a question...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 10:53 pm 
Master Pilot

Wow sounds great! I want that to happen! But when....? Further up, and further in!<i></i>