[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Steven Erikson

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steven Erikson
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:08 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, I've been debating trying out Erikson for awhile now. I keep hearing such good things about his work...but I am also reluctant to begin reading yet another long and incomplete epic fantasy series.

However, there is a good chance I might take the plunge in another month or so.

Right now, I believe that the first three books in his series are available in the United States, is that correct?
Gardens of the Moon
The Deadhouse Gates
Memories of Ice

How far behind are we from what is available in other countries? How many books is this series projected to be? Does he seem to be on track with this projection? ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:23 pm 
Pilot

Quote:How far behind are we from what is available in other countries? How many books is this series projected to be? Does he seem to be on track with this projection?

The books are

Gardens of the Moon (available in the U.S)
DeadHouse Gates (available in the U.S)
Memories of Ice (available in the U.S)
House of Chains
Midnight Tides
BoneHunters (forthcoming in 2 weeks in the UK))
Dust of Dreams (forthcoming)
Hounds Toll (forthcoming)
Reapers Cale (forthcoming)
Crippled God (forthcoming)

There are also two Malazan related novellas by Erikson, Blood Follows and The Healthy Dead, as well as a novel written by Ian Cameron Esslemont, called Night of knives, that serves as a prequel to Gardens of the Moon (there is no real reading order for it, but I would suggest reading the first 3 novels then Night of Knives).

Yes, it seems to be on track and well plotted. The Bodhisattva

Fantasybookspot.com

My interview this week: Kelly Link
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:17 am 
Lady Scryer

Quote:Yes, it seems to be on track and well plotted.

That is good news.

I think I will definately give this a try sometime in the next month or so, as I find time. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:58 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, I have finished the first two novels and am working on the third. I enjoyed Gardens of the Moon, and the Chain of Dogs plotline in Deadhouse Gates blew me away.

I now have to try to make up my mind whether or not to track down the other books either from Canada (or overseas) or try to find used copies on the internet. Or, of course, just get things as they are released in the US.

A couple of questions:

How important are the novellas to overall series plot?

Which countries were the novellas published in, and will they someday be published in hte US?

What is this Esselmont book? Is it important to read it for the overall series plot?

Is Esselmonst as good a writer as Erikson?

<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:56 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, I am enjoying Memories of Ice so much that I broke down and did an internet search for the later books in the series.

The two novellas have been published in the US, by a small publishing house. They are available in hardcover, and can be readily ordered from Amazon. They appear to tell the backstory of some of the new characters from Memory of Ice.

Through Amazon marketplace, I found a small bookstore in New York state that imports and carries the British mass market paperbacks of House of Chains and Midnight Tides for under $10. So I ordered those. They are new and cheaper than the used copies listed from other sellers.

I will wait for Bonehunters to be published in Canada before trying to track that one down.

If the later books are anything as long as Memories of Ice they are cinder block sized anyway, and will keep me busy for quite sometime.

I did not botehr with the Esselmont book, as I do not really know how good of a writer he is, or how much his books will impact/interact with the Erikson ones??? ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:14 pm 
Pilot

Quote:I did not botehr with the Esselmont book, as I do not really know how good of a writer he is, or how much his books will impact/interact with the Erikson ones???

They collaborated closely on the creation of the Malazan setting. I believe he is overated by Erikson fanboys, but his Night of Knives is okay in terms of how well it's written, but it is damn interesting in terms of what ocurs in it as it's the prequel of Gardens of the Moon - right before the news master of House Shadow ascended and the new emperor (the emperoro in the series you are reading) took control. Very interesting stuff. The Bodhisattva

Fantasybookspot.com

My interview this week: Daniel Abraham
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:48 pm 
Lady Scryer

I had not realized what a great dark and twisted sense of humor Erikson has until I read those two novellas Bllod Follows, and most especially The Healthy Dead. The latter was a complete hoot!!!! ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:03 pm 
Lady Scryer

After taking a break from Erikson's extremely complex world for a while (for mental processing of the material) I have gone ahead and started House of Chains. It appeares as if it will be a continuation of one of the storylines in the second book, Deadhouse Gates.

So Memories of Ice, the third book, shares some of the characters, story lines, and llocations (well, same continent anyway) as the first book, Gardens of the Moon and the second and fourth book look like they will share some characters, story lines, and locations.

Erikson is an anthropologist and archaeologist, and it shows in these books. He has many tribes, each with its own customs and cultures and religion and magic. He also has many humanoid sentient species - each one unique as to culture - it is as if every hominid race from our earth was alive at once in one time rather than becoming extinct after a brief span on earth, as most of the humanoid/hominid species have here.

Kinslaughterer should read these - I think he would very much enjoy them! ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:39 pm 
Master Pilot

I think he knows who Erikson is-may have read some...I don't think he'll be much around a comp until fall semester (and football season ) starts. Isn't he on some mega-dig in Chaco or Mesa Verde or somewhere? *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 8/5/06 12:41 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:33 pm 
Lady Scryer

I haven't been able to talk to him for quite some time; he seems to be frantically busy with his graduate studies. But summer is usually the field work time for archaeologists, so I sure wouldn't be surprised if he is out in the field somewhere. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:43 am 
Lady Scryer

I have finished House of Chains and it is a close second favorite to Deadhouse Gates. While Duiker and Coltaine and the Chain of Dogs are my favorite Erikson characters and storyline, the story arch of the character of Karsa in House of Chains was great stuff.

What a wonderful badass character! He's this giant unconquerable barbarian who along the course of his journey discovers he has a brain and a heart. great stuff! ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:32 am 
Lady Scryer

This is supposedly the US cover for Bonehunters. If so, it one of the worst book covers I have ever seen. :roll:

Well, the US cover for Gardens of the Moon was pretty bad, too. :roll:

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:11 pm 
Master Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:33 pm 
Master Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:23 am 
Lady Scryer

That is true. I can recognize the scene, but wonder how many people will bypass the book because it looks like a bunch of drunks driving a wagon off of a cliff. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah well. I am sure it (the book) wouldn't make much sense to anyone who has not been reading the series all along anyway. And if they have been reading and enjoying the series the cover will not put them off anyway.

Image Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next