[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Steven Erikson

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steven Erikson
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:30 pm 
Lady Scryer

To this day I wonder if I hated that book so much because I was so sick when I read it. :? I have not been able to bring myself to pick it up again to reread it, though. :? In fact, even though I read and for the most part like TBH (I thought that the ending was a little too "out-there"), I have not been able to bring myself to read RG, as I have heard it is with the same MT characters and settings. :(

Maybe because I was so sick, I just could not handle the "humor" of Tehol and Bugg, etc. :? Hard to laugh when you're bedridden with illness and a simultaneous blown out knee. I was in really really bad shape when I read that book. :? And that might have colored my perceptions of it. :?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:07 pm 
Master Pilot

I guess that's possible. And yeah, many of the same characters are in RG. But many older ones are there, too, all mixing together. :D Actually, I have less than 200 pages to go, so I don't know how it ends, or if the thing we most want to see happens or not. :lol: I really liked the humor of Tehol and Bugg. There's some of that here, too, but not nearly as much, since everybody else we know is in the book.

BH's ending was a little odd for me, too. But since it's really one gigantic story, it's really only the end of chapter 6. Heh.

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:21 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
...uh-oh...

Sounds like it's really time for me to back out of this thread...

Things are actually starting to make some seanse, instead of flying right over my head.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:50 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

Yeah, MT may be my favorite of the first 6 books after MoI. I liked T&B and that crazy dead chick (she was awesome). And Seren's probably my favorite character from the whole series. I loved the trip across the icefield, but the book did drag at times when it focused on the Edur; they're kind of a boring lot.

I like BH, but towards the end of the book it sort of lost me. I'd have to rank it 5th of the first 6 books, mainly because it isn't self-contained. I didn't like the ending so much.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

Yeah, my main problem with TBH was the ending. Otherwise, I loved going back to the locations earlier in the book and seeing the aftermath of the events of DG and HOC. Those are my favorite storylines and characters in the book - especially the desert. I loved the desert!

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:36 pm 
Master Pilot

Yeah, Raraku is awesome! As awesome as Arrakis, though, obviously, in very different ways.

However, duchess, let me tell you this... I still have 80 (out of 829) pages to go in RG, so not sure what's still to come. But what's already happened is amazing!!! It's hundreds of pages of building and setting up. And then, POW!!!! (Again, with a story of this size and scope, I don't have a problem with this at all. I absolutely love all the detail we get on everybody and everything. I've read much smaller stories, even single books, where there wasn't any point to the details we got. Maybe the story wasn't worth it; maybe the writing wasn't as good...) Some of the events and revelations just blew me away!!!!!!!!! DG and MoI are still my favorite books, and I don't expect that to change. But I think RG is my favorite as far as the resolutions of all of the stories that were going on throughout the book.

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:53 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:52 pm 
Lady Scryer

Do you guys remember or have you seen the awful USA cover the The Bonehunters? The one with the drunks driving the wagon off of the cliff?

Well, behold

My eyes! they bleed! :faint:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:10 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

Blehhh! The BH paperback cover's a lot better. It just has a pic of Paran that shows up on the back cover of the hardback.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:39 am 
Master Pilot

OMG!!!! That Russian cover is hilarious!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
But who the hell is that?

Anywho, that was some crazy crap in BH that's depicted on the cover!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:41 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:32 pm 
Lady Scryer

Yes. One of the few book covers that shows a specific scene from a book and it has to look like that? :P

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:01 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

Here's the paperback cover of Bonehunters. I really don't think it's that bad, but it's funny as hell that Tor realized they had to do something about the hardback cover. When I was in the UK a couple of weeks ago, I spent some time in a bookshop checking out the UK covers of the Malazan books. I gotta say, I thought they looked kind of cheap in person. Despite all the crowing I've read about how much better they are than the US covers, for the most part I much prefer the covers I have on the first 7 books (except BH). I also thought the books themselves seemed kind of low quality. They're all longer (HoC was around 1300 pages), but the paper, covers and binding on the paperbacks seemed kind of flimsy to me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:06 pm 
Master Pilot

Bloody Brits!

But damn, I wish I visited there, so I could have picked up TtH and all the non-"Book of the Fallen" books.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:52 am 
Master Pilot

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next