[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Dust of Dreams

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Dust of Dreams
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:55 pm 
The UnTitled

I'll keep an eye out the next time I reread. ;)

--A

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:15 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

I don't know why, but I had trouble getting into this book. During my first shot, it took me maybe 2 months to read the first book and a little extra. I had to put it down for 8 months (figuratively speaking, as I have the e-book) and read other things. I'm getting near the end, though. I like it, but it's not my favorite in the series. There are way too many new characters for this late in the story for me. Fortunately, most of them croak. I'm pissed that Seren Pedac appears early in the book, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of her since. I also don't like the way that a lot of big moves happened off-screen, namely Rake and Hood apparently croaked in between books 3 and 4. What, did this get covered in one of Esslemont's books? I don't know, I can see missing out on Hood being whacked, but it's weird that Rake was killed off-screen. Not that anyone actually dies in these books, lol. It's starting to get a little silly, if you ask me.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:45 pm 
Lady Scryer

Didn't Rake and Hood both die in Toll the Hounds? :?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:32 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

They did? How'm I supposed to remember that, lol?

You may be right, now that I think of it. I do remember when Rake croaked.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:04 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

Finally finished DoD. It was pretty good, but definitely not my favorite in the series. The ending was really good, though. I downloaded Crippled God, and am looking forward to finishing out this series.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:27 pm 
Lady Scryer

I personally thought DOD was an improvement over TTH (which might be my least favorite book in the series along with RG), and thought TCG was on a par with some of the best books of the series, like MOI. :) Hope you will enjoy it as much as I did! 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:03 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

It was pretty good, but there was just a lot of aimless wandering around that got old for me. I also didn't like the way that all the story-lines in Lether just evaporated. Actually, a lot of story-lines disappeared at the end.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:35 am 
The UnTitled

Yes, the wandering around did bug me. And yes, Hood and Rake both died in TtH. (Which I'm currently re-reading.)

--A