[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - HEADS UP!!! on Toll the Hounds/Return of the Crimson Guard

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: HEADS UP!!! on Toll the Hounds/Return of the Crimson Guard
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:06 pm 
Lady Scryer

Steven Erikson has a new book out very soon (well, with a couple of months' delay in the US until the fall :roll: ) called Toll the Hounds, part of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Ian Esslemont also has a new Malazan novel coming soon (in Europe - not sure about any US release at all) called Return of the Crimson Guard.

Just a heads up! Supposedly (according to many people at the Martin board who have read both) there is a MAJOR spoiler for Return of the Crimson Guard in Toll the Hounds and a minor spoiler for Toll the Hounds in Return of the Crimson Guard.

The people who are saying this all state that if huge spoilers are something that would bother you, you should read the Esselmont book first!!!

Happy reading, all you Malazan fans! :mrblue:

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: HEADS UP!!! on Toll the Hounds/Return of the Crimson Guard
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:04 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
Duchess, amazon has a date of September 23, 2008 from Bantam for Return of the Crimson Guard, but I haven't really dealt much with them, so I have no idea how reliable that is...

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:13 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:35 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
Ah...bummer.

Well, I went ahead and put in a purchase request at my library. I am already number one on hold for Toll the Hounds, since I had put in the purchase request and knew to keep checking the library catalog for when they would list it. I'll make note of if they list Return of the Crimson Guard when I see it.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:37 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

Amazon says that ToH is coming out on september 16th, and they've got good deals on the hardback and trade paperback. I'm pretty sure I'll read the Erikson book long before I read the Esslemont one.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:11 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:07 pm 
Lady Scryer

A couple of people with ARC's of ROTCG spilled the spoilers over at the Martin board. Since Esslemont does not a US publisher, I went ahead and read them (though I will not reveal them here, though I can direct you to the proper thread over there in a PM if asked).

I am not sure which of the spoilers is revealed in TTH, but it sounds like there are some pretty major deaths and the like in ROTCG. :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

Nevermind:

here they are:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:40 pm 
Trouble-Maker

I may have spoilered myself somewhat since like a total fool, I started reading Toll the Hounds and didn't realize I had somehow skipped Reaper's Gale.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:03 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:35 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:40 am 
Master Pilot

He already knows. And yeah, I wouldn't want to be in Jenn's shoes. Onos is a real s.o.b.!!!

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:31 pm 
Master Pilot

My books:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:36 pm 
Master Pilot

Uh, well, yeah. :lol:

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:42 pm 
Master Pilot

:roll: So how many freakin' aliases do you have, anyhow?

Never mind. Don't answer that. :lol:

My books:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:40 pm 
Master Pilot

I don't know. Not enough fingers.