[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - rereading Gardens of the Moon chapters 3 & 4

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: rereading Gardens of the Moon chapters 3 & 4
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:00 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:14 pm 
Master Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:30 am 
Lady Scryer

I dunno...the whole thing at the end of The Bonehunters sort of convinced me that Laseen is one dumbass el supremo. :wink: And that the Empire still stands in spite of her being in charge rather than because of it. 8) But we can debate these points as they come up. :D 8)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:56 am 
Master Pilot

I saw that the way at least some of the characters saw it: she had had no choice, when preparing for what's about to happen (the famine, the need to use the Wickan plains for food) but to let those characters get into the positions they did. And she knows it has put her into a very difficult position that she would rather not have been in. But she's also been smart enough to let Tavore leave--to get her out of danger--so that she can come back at a later point and help fix things.
Of course, yeah, it's all probably going to fall apart when the Crimson Guard show up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:21 am 
Lady Scryer

To me any leader wgho encourages racial cleansing and genocide is a bad leader pretty much by definition. But we can discuss that if and when I get back to The Bonehunters for a reread. :wink:

Chapter four begins with a few of the important Bridgeburners meeting with Tattersail. She wanted to meet with them because, quite frankly, the Chuckie Doll is givign her the creeps. :lol: :lol: :lol:

They have a talk about important issues such as the Shadow Warren and associated dieties not arising until the time of the death of the Emperor. A bit of background if told about how the former First Sword of the Empire got into it with the god of death, and that is how everything got so messy a few years before when the Emperor died. The Bridgeburners suspect Sorry is tied to Shadow, but Tattersail does nto tell them about seeing her in the cards as Death's Virgin...

The meeting disperses when Tattersail asks where Sorry is, and Fiddler gets a bad feeling... :?

There is a lot going on in this chapter, and I cannot finish it at this time. so...to be continued. :)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:45 pm 
The Timekeeper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:21 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:01 am 
Lady Scryer

Poo. I just got the email that RG has been shipped. Now I have to decide whether to read it cold (so to speak) or wait until I finish my reread. :?

And since I've only read three chapters and a bit of the fourth of the first book, that wait will probably be months... :?

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:23 pm 
Lady Scryer

I think I will have to give this up for now. :( My heart just isn't in it at this point of time and I am finding any and very excuse possible not to pick up Gardens of the Moon these days.

Maybe I will just wait until the series is over, and reread the whole thing at once (perhaps skipping Midnight Tides, as that is the book that has really soured me on this author...). :?

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Rereading Gardens of the Moon - spoilers through Bonehunters
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:23 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:01 am 
Master Pilot

I finished Toll the Hounds a couple days ago, and started GotM again this morning. We'll see if I go through the eight books before I need a break. :lol: But I guess I should try it in this chronological order this time. I only have the Book of the Fallen books, though. I'll have to find the other books someday...

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:07 am 
Lady Scryer

Supposedly you can get the three Erikson novellas in a 3-in-1 edition from Britain. I actually love the two I have - they are very funny, and Erikson stays very focused, which is a plus. :wink:

I got the first two from Amazon in little hardcovers - the third one will be out in the US in a similar format in Decemeber - Amazon has it for preorder. :)

Going by Night of Knives, I am not impressed by ICE's writing, but am willing to give him a break, as that was his first novel. :)

I do not think that Esslemont has a US publisher yet. :?

Image Image Image