[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Celebrating Clarke

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Celebrating Clarke
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:19 am 
Master Pilot

Greetings, fellow Hangarites and earthlings:

In honor of Arthur C. Clarke, who passed away recently, I will be devoting myself to a re-read of Clarke's "Rama" and "Odyssey" novels. I also intend to "dissect" Rendezvous With Rama as I go along, and possibly 2001: A Space Odyssey as well. As both are relatively short works, it shouldn't be too onerous a task I've set for myself. It helps that I seriously love these books.

While Rama's status as a classic sf novel is perhaps justification enough for in-depth discussion, I also wish to dissect the novel as a way of "preparing" for the arrival of the movie adaptation - should it ever get made. 2001: A Space Odyssey, on the other hand, came into being as both a novel and a movie at roughly the same time. The movie was, of course, a very influential piece of cinema, and perhaps continues to be. However, the novel is a worthy work in its own right.

Everyone is, of course, welcome to post their thoughts and opinions on these books as I make my way through them. Also, feel free to post comments here, such as expressing doubt about my sanity in taking on this project, etc.

I will be starting this "Clarke-fest" in June or thereabouts. I am not putting anyone under any obligation to contribute a "chapter read" themselves, as it would be unfair to thrust a sudden timetable on everyone out of the blue. I'll simply leave the door open for any fellow Clarke conscripts.

Days of summer and sci fi, here we come...

Post subject: Re: Celebrating Clarke
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:18 pm 
The Timekeeper

Extremely cool Moonie! If you said this on Sat. I would have bought Rama instead of Brokedown Palace. You know, I've read at least 6 books of his but never Rama. Looking forward to joining you. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:34 pm 
Lady Scryer

Since I recently found my copies of 2001 and Rama, I would be very happy to contribute and comment. 8)

Clarke was a man of amazing vision and ideas. :D

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:53 pm 
The UnTitled

If I can pick up copies, I'll definitely take part. Truly one of the defining talents of the genre.

--A

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:40 pm 
The Timekeeper

I'm six chapters into Rendezvous and loving every minute of it! I simply cannot believe I've haven't read it before.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:04 am 
Master Pilot

Awesome, danlo! Glad you're enjoying the book. 8)

I've started jotting down notes. I might post some opening chapter comments this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:43 am 
Lady Scryer

Oh, good. My four day weekend has just started so I should have plenty of time to read the first chapter or two and join in! 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:33 am 
erm... Scryer Pilot Warrior Pilot

I just can't read Clarke because of that godawful monstrosity of a film that Kubrick (surely the single most overrated director fo all time) went and made. I just can't pick up any of his books without thinking 'well what if the film was faithful to the novel???'

Fall over and wail idiots!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:52 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:10 am 

He should be an author I like, I've heard a lot of good reviews of most of his novels, but that sodding film...maybe I can treat the read throughs as a kind of aversion therapy...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:33 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:42 pm 
The Timekeeper

Come on read RwRama with us-it's got a great pace and short chapters the are really cool and they just explored . Off to :alan:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:34 am 
Master Pilot

Sorry if you guys were waiting for me to get started. The weather was great this weekend so I just had to get out. I was going to post entries for Chapters 1 and 2, but I thought it'd be better if I just threw Chapter 1 out there for now instead of delaying things any further.

(Did I mention I like that RwR is a short book? This dissection ought to be painless. :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:31 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:05 am 

Well ok, just got to get hold of a copy of RWR and I'll be right with you.