[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - cspeak - lucimay stuff

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: cspeak - lucimay stuff
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:36 pm 
bridgeburner

i thought i'd do my poem posting a little differently here at the Hangar. i'll give a little background on the pieces i post here...a little explanitory note as it were, to tell a bit about where my head was at when i wrote the piece.

all of the pieces written about kentucky were written after i moved, in 1990, to san francisco. it was only from 3000 miles away that i could get any kind of perspective on my life in kentucky. 20/20 hindsight and all that. this particular piece was an admission to myself that there are things that, having been born there, i could not discard about kentucky, things that make me intrinsically kentuckian. southern. things i don't wish, after distance and reflection, to discard. no matter who i am, what hats i chose to wear, where i live, i will always be from kentucky. there IS beauty there. i keep it with me now.

Up Home

I turned a blind eye to the dogwood once,
refused the forsythia,
ignored the rise and swell
of the South Elkhorn Branch beneath me
and crawled across the Sierras
on my belly, like a snake out of Eden,
looking for my ninth life,
looking for a country without winter but,
hold steady old brick, I have come back to haunt you.
I stand, inexorable, on the road between your slave walls
singing Power in the Blood, Power in the Blood.

The Cherokee would not leave their dead
between the Ohio River and the Great Smoky Mountains
but parts of me are heaped and buried in mounds and covered over in Bluegrass.
My father knew the low whistle of the late night L & N and taught me to listen for it,
taught me to put my hands on the rail and my ear to the ground
and wait for the humming in my bones.
This is the sound that will bring you home, he said,
memorize the words and sing it when you miss me.

Hold steady old brick,
it’s bad luck to kill a cricket you find
chirping in your own house.
I am your summer child,
made to bloom in those hills the Cherokee call The Dark and Bloody Ground,
made to mine the black caves of your limestone heart and come out shining.
My mother knew the stars in your indifferent heavens and taught me to name them,
taught me to watch them until I could make them move.
When you look at the sun and I look at the moon
we are seeing the same light, she said, you have my eyes.

Hold steady old brick, your borders are not fixed.
I stretch them out along the Pacific Rim and they
pull me back again and again, home to roost
in your rusting box gutters.
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/9/06 2:11 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: cspeak - lucimay stuff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:58 am 
Pilot

I REALLY enjoyed that, Luci. You paint such a vivid picture.
I wish I could read more poetry that entertained me as much. Seems so many poets feel the need to go overboard with ambiguity, seemingly for the sake of it, that I find it difficult to absorb without repeated reads. I was instantly drawn into your vision. Very well done.

BTW. I'm an Irish / Cherokee hybrid. :-) <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:25 pm 
Master Pilot

A Cherokee living in Florida?! (sorry, just a stab in ol' Andy's back! ) *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:33 am 
Lady Scryer

That was great. I am also part Cherokee and also have southern roots, though I was born and raised up here in the north. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: LuciMay
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:41 am 
The UnTitled

A fine piece LuciMay.

Its nice to have a little bit of explanation too.

I must find and post that poem I was telling you about on the Watch...and then you must read the book. (Forget about the movie...it sucked.)

The style is just so reminiscent. Must be a Southern thing.

--A ____________________________________

"We have become a society in which the Artist is regarded as
A self-indulgent superfluity, and the person who juggles stocks and shares
Is an essential part of the economy. Something is Wrong" -Pam Brown.
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: LuciMay
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:27 pm 
bridgeburner

i shall be posting my MONSTER paper on cspeak.blogspot.com as soon as it's finished (must be turned in by 12/20) and then i will have more time to come here to the Hanger and do some browsing and posting! YAY!!! <i>Edited by: Lucimay at: 12/14/06 12:27 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:56 pm 
Lady Scryer

Looking forward to seeing more of you.

But what is a monster paper? A horror story you have written? A long and difficult paper for school? ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:50 am 
The UnTitled

Despite the fact that it was supposed to be done by the 20th, I see Lucimay still hasn't posted more here.

I assume she means her paper for school.

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

Post subject: yes long and difficult paper for school
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:58 pm 
bridgeburner

turned out to have LOTS and lots of formatting
on it, different fonts and font sizes, block quotes
section headings and the like...

so blogger won't keep the formatting. which is a
real bummer cause there were others that wanted
to read it.

i'll try to figger somethin out. might have to move
cspeak to another blog host. blogger has a new
version but i haven't updated yet.

i hate to have to go put in all the links and stuff again.
urg.

i'll work on it tho. the paper is pretty interesting.

i called it "the monster" after Spaulding Gray's book
"Monster in a Box" <i></i>

Post subject: Re: yes long and difficult paper for school
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:28 am 
The UnTitled

Haha.

Why not just host it somewhere as a word doc or pdf or whatever that people can download, and just post a couple of excerpts?

A sense of the sardonic preserves a man from believing in his own pretensions. -The Sayings Of Maud'Dib<i></i>

Post subject: nice idea Avatar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:26 am 
bridgeburner

excellent idea! i'll look into it right away.
i should be able to do that on the old blogger thingy, huh? i believe comcast has a bit of storage space with my name on it so i'll perhaps pick some excerpts and link to that.

say i want you to be able to click on the Title of the monster and that be the link to the paper. how do you do that? with the [] hinky dinkys and stuff?

i love that little poet emo!!

the end of the story on the monster is that right at the very END of writing it, i found some sort of refuting literary criticism that i would have LOVED to included but didn't have time to research well enough to do so, dabnabbit!

john(teacher) said, ain't it always the way? and chuckled.

well...i'm back to classes next week. and a paper due the minute i walk into class. one thing i'll say for the guy, he's a serious business strategist to keep me writing between semesters. arg. LOL!!
<<<favorite emo ever!!
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: nice idea Avatar
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:07 pm 
Lady Scryer

if you do find a way to store it somewhere, be sure to put up a link, as I would also like to read it. ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject: i definitely will
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:22 am 
bridgeburner

and thank you all for you kind interest! <<this is cool too. good winks over here too. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: i definitely will
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:13 am 
The UnTitled

Yep, with the little [] thingies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:57 am 
bridgeburner