[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Poetic Quotes

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Poetic Quotes
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 7:02 pm 
Master Pilot

This is an open poetry topic where anyone can post--you can share any of your favorites here, just be sure to cite the author--we'd like to see a lot of original stuff (in the Qallar Collection). Here's a little blurb from William Blake, one of my favorite artists and poets, that's quoted at the beginning of Neverness:

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night
What immortal hand or eye
doth frame thy fearful symmetry

The Neverness series is full of great poetry, don't face the Solid State Entity w/o some, in the Neverness books poetry just might save your life, and more than once! I would tell you the meaning of the title to The Qallar Collection topic but you'll have to read Neverness to figure it out...

Fall Far and Well Pilots!

Post subject: Re: The Qallar Collection-Fan Poetry
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 2:08 am 
Master Pilot

Here's 1 of my fav poetic excerpts of all time:

So may the turn of a hand forestall
life with it's honey, death with it's gall;
so may the turn of my fancy roam
free for a time, till the rhymes recall

-Rostand

Post subject: Re: Poetic Quotes
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:33 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 5:40 pm 
Master Pilot

It's rather simple: just go 2 the "Use Ezcodes" function 2 the left of where u add reply and it will tell u how--put the word quote [bracketed] at the beginning of ur quote, with /quote [/bracketed] at the end of ur quote--Ezcodes has all sorts of other neat functions 4 italics, bold, link--so 4th. It's a little <i> more</i> work than on <b> Kevin's Watch</b> or GoR, but I think u can handle it!! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/12/02 10:42:02 am
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:15 am 
Master Pilot

weird .. I always go [ quote ] ... blaaah blaaah ... [ / quote ]

anyhoo ..

I have a fav poem .. called Matthew Mark Luke and John .. but I'll be back to add it later .. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:56 am 
Master Pilot

If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:01 am 
Master Pilot

haha .. and you havent even heard it yet!!

definitely a winner health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:10 am 
Master Pilot

W. B. Yeats---

The Wild Swans at Coole

The trees are in their autumn beauty,
The woodland paths are dry,
Under the October twilight the water
Mirrors a still sky;
Upon the brimming water among the stones
Are nine and fifty swans.

The nineteenth autumn has come upon me
Since I first made my count;
I saw, before I had well finished,
All suddenly mount
And scatter wheeling in great broken rings
Upon their clamorous wings.

I have looked upon those brilliant creatures,
And now my heart is sore.
All's changed since I, hearing at twilight,
The first time on this shore,
The bell-beat of their wings above my head,
Trod with a lighter tread.

Unwearied still, lover by lover,
They paddle in the cold,
Companionable streams or climb the air;
Their hearts have not grown old;
Passion or conquest, wander where they will,
Attend upon them still.

But now they drift on the still water
Mysterious, beautiful;
Among what rushes will they build,
By what lake's edge or pool
Delight men´s eyes, when I awake some day
To find they have flown away?

---------------------------------------------------------- And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 2/20/03 6:00:49 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:45 am 
Master Pilot

The other day a German journeyman, some anonymous guy, emailed me about the author, translation differences and full version of a beautiful poem that The Solid State Entity tests Mallory w/in Neverness, this is part of my response:

the poem was written in 1936 by A. E. Houseman. It is called Stars, I have Watched them Fall--it's not very long, but here it is:

Stars,I have seen them fall,
But when they drop and die
No star is lost at all
From all the star-sown sky.
The toil of all that be
Helps not the primal fault;
It rains into the sea,
And still the sea is salt

~And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Some of my quotes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:23 am 
Pilot

"Wash your hands in a basin full of blood and realise how dirty they are....and how clean they should be"

"Without sadness and tears is there joy is the fears? There's more to this then it seems...Theres more to you than just what i didnt want to see"

"Beholder of belief there's a God give me reason...Cause right now i need something to believe in"

"Place not death upon my enemies...but dear lord give me strength to stand and fight" -Nick Villanti, my friend.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:15 pm 
The Timekeeper

My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains
My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drains
One minute past, and Lethe-wards had sunk:
'Tis not through envy of thy happy lot,
But being too happy in thine happiness,--
That thou, light-winged Dryad of the trees
In some melodious plot
Of beechen green, and shadows numberless,
Singest of summer in full-throated ease.

O, for a draught of vintage! that hath been
Cool'd a long age in the deep-delved earth,
Tasting of Flora and the country green,
Dance, and Provençal song, and sunburnt mirth!
O for a beaker full of the warm South,
Full of the true, the blushful Hippocrene,
With beaded bubbles winking at the brim,
And purple-stained mouth;
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen,
And with thee fade away into the forest dim:

Fade far away, dissolve, and quite forget
What thou among the leaves hast never known,
The weariness, the fever, and the fret
Here, where men sit and hear each other groan;
Where palsy shakes a few, sad, last gray hairs,
Where youth grows pale, and spectre-thin, and dies;
Where but to think is to be full of sorrow
And leaden-eyed despairs,
Where Beauty cannot keep her lustrous eyes,
Or new Love pine at them beyond to-morrow.

Away! away! for I will fly to thee,
Not charioted by Bacchus and his pards,
But on the viewless wings of Poesy,
Though the dull brain perplexes and retards:
Already with thee! tender is the night,
And haply the Queen-Moon is on her throne,
Cluster'd around by all her starry Fays;
But here there is no light,
Save what from heaven is with the breezes blown
Through verdurous glooms and winding mossy ways.

I cannot see what flowers are at my feet,
Nor what soft incense hangs upon the boughs,
But, in embalmed darkness, guess each sweet
Wherewith the seasonable month endows
The grass, the thicket, and the fruit-tree wild;
White hawthorn, and the pastoral eglantine;
Fast fading violets cover'd up in leaves;
And mid-May's eldest child,
The coming musk-rose, full of dewy wine,
The murmurous haunt of flies on summer eves.

Darkling I listen; and, for many a time
I have been half in love with easeful Death,
Call'd him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath;
Now more than ever seems it rich to die,
To cease upon the midnight with no pain,
While thou art pouring forth thy soul abroad
In such an ecstasy!
Still wouldst thou sing, and I have ears in vain--
To thy high requiem become a sod.

Thou wast not born for death, immortal Bird!
No hungry generations tread thee down;
The voice I hear this passing night was heard
In ancient days by emperor and clown:
Perhaps the self-same song that found a path
Through the sad heart of Ruth, when, sick for home,
She stood in tears amid the alien corn;
The same that oft-times hath
Charm'd magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn.

Forlorn! the very word is like a bell
To toll me back from thee to my sole self!
Adieu! the fancy cannot cheat so well
As she is fam'd to do, deceiving elf.
Adieu! adieu! thy plaintive anthem fades
Past the near meadows, over the still stream,
Up the hill-side; and now 'tis buried deep
In the next valley-glades:
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?
Fled is that music:--Do I wake or sleep?

Ode to a Nightingale-Keats

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:38 am 
The UnTitled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:58 am 
The Timekeeper

Awesome!!!!! :sky:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:10 pm 
The UnTitled