[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Untitled Short Sci/fi Story

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Untitled Short Sci/fi Story
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:48 pm 
Master Pilot

This is a very short story in the present time taking place in a part of the galaxy uncharted or discovered by the sattelites of Earth. There will be spelling errors... and some missing or incorrect puntuation. Remember, this is not going to be the greatest story! Warning! Your affectionate uncle, Screwtape<i></i>

Post subject: Untitled
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:07 pm 
Master Pilot

Captain Mimak stood aboard the bridge of the Alliance of Free Planets Fleet flagship Freedom. He entered the turbolift to Admiral Penn's private suite. Admiral Penn was a in charge of the Alliance's sixth fleet, but received commands from the Alliance High Command on the capitol planet. Mimak was his de facto second in command, and pretty darn good at it. A voice in the turbolift announced "Floor 12. The Admiral's private suite. Password please". Mimak said the password "Roge", Penn's homeplanet. The door slid open. Penn was sitting in the Admiral's chair, with displays of the Freedom's position around his chair. Penn was an average sized human, about 1.8 meters. "Come in, Captain." Mimak gulped. "Yes, sir. You asked me to meet you here." Penn smiled. "Captain, you have a knack for pointing out the obvious." Penn stood up and turned off the displays of the current location of the Freedom, and turned on a display of the Meren Galaxy(the Alliance's name for the Milky Way). He pointed to a small, specific planet, outside of the Alliance's borders. "Captain, are you familiar with this planet?". Mimak looked closer. The planet appeared to have seven main masses of land, but was covered mostly with water. "No sir. Should I be?" Penn nodded no. "Its a small planet with undeveloped humans on it. This map of the Meren is brand new, I just downloaded it today. That planet has just been discovered, and the High Command knows a little about its history." Mimak groaned inwardly. Penn often sited historical facts. "The planets humans worship many gods under different religions. Most of them fight amongst themselves. The planet is not only divided religiously, but has many warring nations as well. These nations also war. This poor, strange, savage, and pathetic planet is much like our sector of the galaxy before the Alliance was formed, seperated in short. Under the requests of the Senate and Fleet High Command, the Freedom is ordered to this planet to put it out of its misery." Mimak was horrified. "Sir, do you really think its necessary? You said yourself, its like our sector pre-Alliance, we should leave it alone and let it develop." Penn shook his head. "You dont understand, Captain. Theyve been warring for centuries. Its not going to stop. In short, we have to stop it. Destroying the planet would be best for all beings on it. And besides, I dont give the High commands, I follow them." Mimak sighed. He couldnt win, not when Penn was like this. "Very well, Admiral. The name of the planet and its coordinates?" Penn smiled grimly at him. "The coordinates are in the computer. The planets name- Earth" Your affectionate uncle, Screwtape<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Untitled
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:53 pm 
Master Pilot

whoa!!!! .. it really got me in!! I was genuinely surprised at its ending!! EArth!!! excellent!!

Mhoram I am really impressed .. that was good to read .. it flowed well and I liked the narrative between the 2 main officers/characters .. I enjoyed their quips and te't a te't .. a refreshing read!! .. do you have any more short stories??

I would love to read some more health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:56 pm 
Master Pilot

.. and I cant wait to debate it!!

.. how would destroying this planet serve its inhabitants?? how would it be in their best interests? .. a very paternalistic attitude of this supposedly morally superior Alliance! hmmph!!

now you know I couldnt debate something that didnt capture my interest entirely LOL

health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:29 pm 
Master Pilot

LOL, thank you! I do have a short Land story going right now...Ill get it to you when IM done! Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:39 am 
Master Pilot

cool!! .. you can post it here .. or send me a copy to my email addy

give0002@tpg.com.au

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:09 pm 
Master Pilot

Yes please post it here m! Nobody ever read my little story in original fiction, sniff The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:32 am 
Master Pilot

well thats only because we didnt know it existed .. am going now to read!!

Post subject: To hellfire w/Word!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:41 pm 
Master Pilot

Ive a said tail to tell...my Microsoft Word has deleted my 5-page Child of Mhoram.....no!!!!!
Well anyhoo, I started an Eighth Ward, it will be what I envision a ward to be, various works of poetry...of course my poetry will be nothing compared to Donaldsons...but itll do. Further up, and further in!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Short Story
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:26 pm 
Master Pilot

Nice LM...Interesting that they wouldn't let another world work it's way thru conflict on its own...

You'd think they would have learned a lesson of tolerance from thier own developement

Cool concept tho - sort of an intergalactic morality patrol! <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:10 pm 
Master Pilot

Thanks, Earthy! Thought itd be a good short story, maybe it can develop into something larger... The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:13 am 
Master Pilot

is that thing finished yet HLM??

sad you lost those 5 pages .. but mmm .. its been months .. and wanna see it :( lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:12 pm 
Master Pilot

I guess you dont understand, I didnt lose 5 pages, I lost the whole thing! :"> Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:15 am 
Master Pilot

huh??? and you didnt make a back-up?????

I just love it when people ask that!!! ... not!! Its like if I had a back-up .. it wouldnt be lost!!!

so ... what?? you havent started again???? health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:59 am 
Lady Scryer

When you finish it, please post it. I would like to read it, too. "What did you say to the Emperor about me?" "He wanted to know what I saw in you.I told him that you poured out honor like a fountain, all around you." "That's weird. I don't feel full of honor, or anything else, except maybe confusion." "Naturally not. Fountains keep nothing for themselves."<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 12/16/02 11:22:24 pm
</i>