[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Apples!

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Apples!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

Since it is nearly time for the annual autumn apple harvest, I have been digging up easy looking apple and apple cider recipes. :)

to begin:
Idiot Proof Apple Butter

courtesy Midwest Living magazine

Ingredients:
4 pounds cooking apples - peeled, cored, and sliced (about 12 cups)
2 cups sugar
1/2 cip water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmed

instructions:
1. Place apple slices in a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker. Stir in all other ingredients.

2. Cover. Cook on high heat setting 5 to 6 hours.
Stir.
Cool at least one hour, or cover and chill overnight.
Ladle apple butter into half pint storage or freezer containers, leaving a 1/2 inch headspace.
Seal and label.
Can be stored three weeks in refrigerator or for 1 year in the freezer.

Makes four half pints.

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Apples!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:24 pm 
Lady Scryer

Apple Soup

ingredients:
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 medium cooking apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
2 to 3 tablespoons curry powder
3 cups chicken stock or broth
1 cup milk
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 green onion, thinly sliced

directions:

1. In a large saucepan, cook onion in hot butter over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until tender.
Stir in apples and curry.
Add chicken broth.
Bring to boiling, then reduce heat.
Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, or until apples are very tender.
Stir in milk.
Cook and stir until heated through.
If you like, you can slightly mash the apples.

2. Ladle into bowls.
garnish with almonds and green onions.

makes 4 servings.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:27 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:39 pm 
Lady Scryer

Minted Cuder Punch (Nonalcoholic)

Minted Cider Punch

Ingredients :

ΒΌ cup chopped fresh mint
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
4 cups apple cider or apple juice
1 cup frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed, undiluted

Preparation and Cooking Instructions :

In small saucepan, combine mint, sugar and water. Place over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture start to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
Strain cooled mint mixture into 2-quart pitcher. Add remaining ingredients. Chill and serve over ice cubes.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:02 pm 
Master Pilot

I might have to try that apple soup, Duchess. I got on a soup kick last winter. Looking forward to resuming it as the weather cools off.

Virginia's Shenandoah Valley is a big apple-growing region. We used to go apple picking in the fall, but a lot of the individual farmers have stopped opening their orchards to amateur pickers. :( I think there are still a few, tho -- maybe I'll got this fall, with or without a crew....

My books:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:29 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
I had no idea fujis were considered a cooking apple. I love them for just eating, whereas I don't care for granny smiths, mcintosh, or romes. This is good to know. Thanks Duchess. :)

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:53 pm 
Lady Scryer

we'll be trying to make the soup on Saturday night - I will let you guys know how it yurned out.

there is also a great pie recipe that Californiababy sometimes uses to make me a pie from scratch. :mrgreen: :drool: I will dig that one out and post it, too. :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:11 pm 
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The apple soup was good. You might want to use the higher dose of curry if you make it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:23 am 
The UnTitled

Granny Smith are the best apples. :D I've got a great apple sauce recipe somewhere for them. The GF is quite keen to try that apple soup recipe though. Knowing her, she'll take Cali's advice and increase the curry content. :(

--A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:03 pm 
Lady Scryer

We used Granny Smith's to make the soup. :) We also used the low end on the curry range that the recipe calls for, which was perfect for my taste buds. :wink:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:07 am 
The UnTitled

Yeah...personally, I could do without the curry at all. :D I'm a wimp when it comes to hot stuff...the GF eats chilli like there's no tomorrow though. :lol: Will let you know how it turns out when we make it. ;)

--A