[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - American Thanksgiving

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: American Thanksgiving
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:03 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
*also posted in The Galley*

That time approaches. For those of us who put out an unholy spread of l-tryptophan inducing foods, it is the anticipatory planning of wowing our guests once again that drives us to that pinnacle of overabundance.

...OK, OK...so I'm laying it on a bit thick here...

What do you do for Thanksgiving? Is the menu a family tradition, set in stone? Or do you mix it up and try a different menu every year?

My menu has finally been pretty much set since 2004, although I always try at least one new item, if I come across a recipe that strikes my fancy. If it's a flop, there's plenty of favorites to compensate. If it's a hit, it finds a place on my ever expanding menu.

My basic menu for the four of us (including FIL) is as follows:

Appetizers:
(served towards the end of the Macy's parade)
Brie with Hot Pecan Caramel Sauce
Tortilla chips with nacho sauce and salsa
Various nuts and pickles

Dinner usually starts about 4:00 pm

Soup:
Curried Pumpkin Soup

Main Course:
Good Eats Roasted Turkey
first brined a la Emeril

Side Dishes:
Vanilla Glazed Sweet Potatoes
Slow Cooker Stuffing
Corn Pudding
Green Bean Casserole (for Hyperception)
Southern-style Green Beans
Carrot Souffle
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Ocean Spray Cranberry Orange Relish for Chicken
Fresh made Cranberry Orange Relish from recipe on bag of cranberries
The Pink Stuff
Cooked Whole Cranberry Sauce
Jellied Cranberry Sauce (canned)

We're not big on bread here, and with everything else, we'll skip rolls or bread

Dessert served about 9:30:
(all home made)
Pumpkin Pie (from fresh pumpkin meat)
Coconut Layer Cake with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
Key Lime Pie

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:52 pm 

Oops...

Forgot to mention the home made gravy from the pan drippings.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:34 pm 
Lady Scryer

we usually are not as elaborate as you, primarily because I often have to work that day (once I worked a stretch of something like ten in a row :( ).

but a representative menu:

salad
a variety of home baked breads, biscuits, dinner rolls, etc. - whatever I have time and inclination to make (but almost always including cornbread)
turkey breast (usually about a three pounder)
stuffing
garlic cheddar mashed potatoes
gravy
cranberry sauce
macaroni & cheese (homemade with nice artisan cheddar)
some sort of bean dish (often just baked beans)

dessert:
a couple of pies, maybe a cake, perhaps some brownies- whatever I am in the mood to bake up that year
ice cream

beverages:
milk, chocolate milk, egg nog, spiced apple cider - and if I am not working, we will go for a nice Michigan wine like Blue Heron or Lelanau Cellars Winter White

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:54 pm 

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:08 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:14 pm 

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:10 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, my kitchen, as always, is in disarray. I have not found the blueberry bread recipe yet, but here is a nice autumnal soup (which must be made at harvest time with fresh ingredients or it will not work).

Harvest Time Chowder

4 cups whole milk
7 ears fresh sweet corn
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large fresh yellow onion, diced
1 1/2 cups finely diced fresh potatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
4 cloves garlic, minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1. in a large saucepan, bring the milk to a low simmer

2. meanwhile, cut the corn kernals from the cobs. To do this, stand each ear on its wide end. Use a serrated knife to saw down the length of the ear. Set kernals aside.

3. when the milk is warm, add the corn cobs and simmer for ten minutes. While the cobs simmer in the milk, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, potatoes, and thyme and sautee for about eight miuntes, or until potatoes ar just tender. Add the garlic and sautee another minute.

4. remove the cobs from the milk and discard them. transfer the potato/onion/garlic mixture into the milk. Add the corn kernals and simmer for 15 minutes. season to taste with salt and pepper.

makes 2-3 servings

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:18 pm 

Oh yummmmyyyy...

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:32 pm 
Lady Scryer

I know it probably sounds strange to use the cobs like that, but it adds a nice intense corn flavor to the soup. :)

Here is the bread:

Fresh Blueberry Bread

ingredients:
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cups canola oil
2 teaspoons lemon extract
3 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 cups fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar (for sprinkling pan)- optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease with nonstick cooking spray either 2-8" loaf pans or a Bundt pan and if you wish, lightly sprinkle with cinnamon sugar for an added treat.
Take a large mixing bowl and add the first 7 ingredients. Mix with an electric hand mixer or by hand if you don't have one.(Use a fork). Just until blended.
Next add flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix thoroughly.
Fold in the berries last with a rubber spatula.
Spoon batter using spatula into prepared pan or pans as stated above.
Bake at above temperature for approximately 45 minutes. to 1 hour.
Let cool 15 minutes then remove and cool on cooling rack.

duchess's note: if you do not have fresh berries, I bet you could use drained frozen ones instead, as long as you do not have them in juice or sauce ~ I have not tried the recipe that way, but I think it should still work

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

we've pretty much finalized our menu for this year:

breakfast
(while watching the big Thanksgiving parade in Detroit on TV - Michiganders ignore that "other" parade :wink: :lol: )

blueberry bread
orange juice/milk

early afternoon snacks
while watching and laughing at the Lions in the Thanksgiving Day football game in Detroit on TV - this substitutes for lunch :)

veggies and dip
fresh fruit (whatever looks good in the store on Tuesday :wink: ), but I hope it will be clementines
tortilla chips and a sweet fruit salsa, a spicy hot salsa, and a quesa salsa
potato chips & French onion dip
a cracker & artisan cheese plate

dinner
10 pound turkey
stuffing
gravy
mashed potatoes with cheddar & garlic
salad
cranberry sauce
macaroni & cheese
cresent rolls
cornbread
biscuits
a vegetable side dish to be determined on what looks freshest at the store on Tuesday :wink:

beverages
milk, eggnog, fruit juice, Michigan winter white wine, mead, Spanish sangria

I am sure we will drink hot chocolate, hot spiced apple cider, and hot tea throughout the day :)

desserts
cherry mallow cake
cherry pie & cool whip
key lime pie
pink lemonaid pie
brownies
double decker chocolate & peanut butter fudge

I have already made a pink lemonaid pie as of last night, but it is already half gone, so probably none of it will be left by Thursday. :wink: I might make a key lime pie ahead of time as well. :lol:

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:02 am 

In case you don't visit Snowy Owl Chat...

to all.

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:36 am 
Master Pilot

Well, this is after-the-fact, but I will tell you what we had for Thanksgiving, anyway.

Our Thanksgiving is a group effort.
My sister makes:
Roast turkey
Stuffing
Gravy
Roasted root vegetables (parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, carrots, potatoes, beets)
Mushrooms cooked in a small pumpkin (for Foamy, who doesn't usually eat turkey)
Cooked cranberry sauce (cranberries, cherries, pineapple)

Foamy makes:
Pumpkin pie, served with whipped topping

I make:
Cranberry-orange relish
Baked sweet potatoes
Mince pie, served with tofutti

A couple of invited guests bought:
Tossed salad (a very large one, we are salad eaters)
Pumpkin muffins
Apple pie

My nephew contributed:
Two beer varieties, one being Pumpkinhead
Homemade pretzels made with beer in the batter

My sister always has a couple more desserts out, including sorbets, brownies and chocolate chip cookies this year

Additional beverages:
Ice tea, water
and Asti, to toast Foamy for getting into Phi Beta Kappa. :D

I think I covered everything. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:59 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:23 pm 
Master Pilot