[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Breakfast/Brunch: Tamara's Oven French Toast

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Breakfast/Brunch: Tamara's Oven French Toast
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:36 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
Tamara's Oven French Toast
submitted by: danlo

Just had this 4 breakfast--fabulous! If u can find some way 2 add thinly sliced apple segments I bet it would b even better! YUM!!

ingredients:
butter
1 loaf French Bread, cut into 1 to 1 and 1/2 inch slices
6 large eggs
1 and 1/2 cup half & half
1 and 1/2 cup whole milk
1 tsp. cimmamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla

topping:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tsp. dark corn syrup
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

preparation:
The night before, generously butter a 9 x 13 inch pan. Fill pan with bread slices. Combine eggs, milk, half & half, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon in a bowl. Mix well. Pour egg mixture over bread and cover. Refrigerate overnight. In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together topping ingredients well. Add pecans and spread evenly over the bread. Bake until puffed and golden (about 40 minutes), Allow toast to stand for 5 minutes before serving.

bacon and a good cup of coffee really compliments... mmmmmmmmmmm!

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:40 am 
Lady Scryer

That one sound ssoooooo gooooood :hearts:

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:54 am 

*nodding*

Overnight French toast casseroles are the bomb for brunches. I have a collection of different ones I rotate through each year for Chr-stmas morning brunch we spend at FIL's. This one will definitely be added to the rotation.

I'll probably post my collection of them once I get all of the posted recipes archived.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:06 am 
Lady Scryer

I have a great breakfast casserole that some friends make when they give champagne brunches. Remind me to give it to you if I have not typed it up in a couple of days (I am at work and the recipe is at home). :)

But this one of Tam's still sounds superb. :D 8)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:08 pm 
Lady Scryer

OK, I am going to try make this Friday night/Saturday morning. Wish me luck! :D 8)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:13 pm 

Be sure to give us a review!

I will wish you luck, but I am sure you won't need it. Overnight french toast casseroles are easy and usually turn out great; that's why they're my standard Chr-stmas morning brunch item when we go to FIL's for his holiday.

~*~edit~*~

In looking over Tam's recipe, one thing that seems different from the recipes I use is the lack of standing time at room temperature before putting the casserole in the oven in the morning. I'm pretty sure the recipes I have say to remove the casserole from the refrigerator and allow to sit for 30 minutes at room temperature while the oven preheats. I'll have to see if perhaps the baking time is different because of that.

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:14 am 
The UnTitled

What's half and half?

And what a relief to find people who eat french toast as a sweet. My GF eats it savoury...with worcestershire sauce. *shudder*

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:26 am 

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:27 am 
The UnTitled

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

Yes, I believe that half and half is a mixture of whole milk and cream. Much too rich to drink, but a lot of people like to add tiny amounts to their coffee. :)

Disaster! The kids and/or husband could not control their temptation and ate the French bread last night! :faint: :evil: :razz:

So the recipe might have to wait another day or so as now I will need to go to a bakery as well as the grocery store for the ingredients we do not usually have (such as half and half :wink: ).

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:32 pm 
Lady Scryer

I just got home from the store where I replaced the French bread and purchased the ingredients we do not normally have (such as half & half and the whole milk). The hardest thing to find was the corn syrup. It was not in the baking aisle, where I expected to find it. I had to ask other shoppers, until finally one lady said it was kept next to the peanut butter - and sure enough, there it was. :)

Just in case this thing does not turn out for me, I did buy donuts as well. :wink: :lol:

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:26 pm 

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:48 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:55 pm 
Lady Scryer

OK, it all worked out (there was enough bread left from peoples' food raidinings :lol: ) and the recipe worked well. It was a hit. :D

Image Image Image

Last edited by Duchess of Malfi on Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:45 pm 

Yay!!

mrsnull's Blueberry Stuffed French Toast looks interesting, and I will post my french toast casseroles once I finish going through all of the threads in The Galley. I am just shy of half way through all of the threads.

~Avatar