[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - What's for Dinner?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: What's for Dinner?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:30 pm 
Master Pilot

Belated happy anniversary, Menolly! Glad to hear the dinner was good! 8)

What's my dinner? Uh, I'm right now eating beef in peanut sauce with potatoes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:53 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
Tonight was finish up the chometz night, since Passover starts tomorrow night.
We had baked semi-boneless ham, basted with Heritage Dr. Pepper (the sugar version)
and Kraft blue box with peas.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 pm 

C.O.R.N. tonight.
Beorn: leftover turkey tetrazzini
Hyperception: whatever he puts together as he is tutoring tonight and has no idea when he'll finish
Me: Thai green curry tofu over rice

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:26 pm 

Beorn had one of his wisdom teeth pulled yesterday. Two more are scheduled to come out in December, and the last is taking its sweet time erupting. All he wanted last night was egg drop soup noodle bowl with won tons added from Chopstix Cafe. Our server took one look at his swollen cheek, along with me ordering for him since he had a bit of difficulty speaking clearly, and suggested switching the won tons to steamed until pillow-y soft pot stickers and putting those in to the soup instead. Beorn agreed and enjoyed his meal.

Taking advantage of getting to go to one of my favorite restaurants, I over ordered as usual, but was extremely satisfied.

I started with a regular bowl, not a huge noodle bowl, of tom yum tofu, followed by a sashimi deluxe platter. I then had four out of five star heat rating panang curry with steamed tofu and mixed vegetables. I drank water with a slice of lime throughout the meal and finished off with a Thai Iced Tea. We arrived just as the sun was descending over Bivens Arm; we got to watch the sunset during the entire course of our meal. Hyperception chose not to accompany us; it was a pleasant mother/son outing.

~Avatar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:58 pm 
Lady Scryer

Poor baby. Wisdom teeth extraction is not any fun at all. I am surprised the dentist let him eat - when my older son had his out a couple of summers ago, all they would let him have the first day was milk shakes and jello and stuff like that. So son was very grouchy, as teen aged boys do require food. Beorn was lucky in his dentist! 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:32 am 

He only had one taken out, Duchess. She was going to do both on one side and then the other two in December, but the bottom one of the side with the upper tooth that had to come out now or it would start getting really impacted hasn't even started to erupt yet. So only one was taken out yesterday. We'll see if the instructions change when he has the two removed at the same time in December.

Tonight I am making my first ever tri-tip roast. I finally found a butcher at Sam's Club who knew how to cut one.
I don't have a newer propane tank for my grill, so I am attempting to roast it in my oven following directions for adding smoke. I rubbed it with Montreal Steak Seasoning and in to the oven it went. I hope it turns out as good as I have heard.

~Avatar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:40 am 
Lady Scryer

I had to get all four of mine out, as they were compacted. Same with husband. Same with older son...dentist is starting to make noise about younger son now...no fun at all. :td: Beorn is lucky he didn't have to get all four out at one go...

How did the roast go?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:53 pm 

I'm thinking I should have marinated instead of dry-rubbing the tri-tip.
The smoking trick was awesome, but the cut itself was way denser than we expected.
We will try again at some point, though.

~Avatar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:02 pm 

With the disappearance of my favorite Lime Pepper from the shelves of Sam's Club, I've been on the look-out for a substitute for awhile. We tried this for the first time last night, putting it on chicken even though the label says seafood. It still doesn't replace the Lime Pepper, but we all liked it for a change from my typical home made rub. The juices made a nicely flavored gravy, too.

Served with steamed broccoli and my typical salad of field greens, grape tomatoes, craisins, peanuts, chevre which was dressed with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, dried dill weed, and fresh ground mixed peppercorns.

~Avatar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:37 pm 
Lady Scryer

Making a huge crock pot of chili today. My usual - 4-5 kinds of beans, ground beef, a couple of pounds of shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, chopped green chilis, and lots of garlic and spices. I am going to burn this nasty cold (which I caught at work) right out of my body! :) 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:06 pm 
Master Pilot

Mmmm, chili.... I've been on a bean kick for the past couple of weeks. Last weekend, I made a bean-and-sausage cassoulet recipe that I've done several times before. Last night I tried a recipe I found in the paper for what the called "tri-bean casserole". Not sure what was "casserole" about it -- it's basically three kinds of beans (black, kidney and Great Northern, tho I used cannellini instead of Great Northern) in a ketchup-based sauce that's cooked on the stovetop. There are a few other ingredients -- onion and bacon (I used turkey bacon) -- but that's pretty much it. It's *very* tasty.

Weight Watchers has a recipe for 15-min. veggie chili that I might try this coming weekend.

My books:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:10 pm 
Lady Scryer

Tomorrow is my day off and it is supposed to be cold and rainy.

I am hoping to make a thick hot rich veggie stew with broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, cheddar cheese, etc.

Something to take the chill off! :mrgreen:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:04 am 
Lady Scryer

Being off for the next 2 1/2 weeks from work (yes - it is a glorious blessing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) we are plannign some psecial meals.

So far Indian and Morroccan are definates and Peruvian is a possibility. :mrgreen:

Image Image Image