[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - The Farthest Shore-Chapter One: The Rowan Tree

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Farthest Shore-Chapter One: The Rowan Tree
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:17 pm 
The Timekeeper

On the back of my 1975 paperback is written-
"The young prince brought harsh news. There was no longer true magic in Enlad-the mages had forgotten their spells. The springs of wizardry were running dry..."
Well, this is not exactly the case, but as Donaldson (or the Haruchai) would say, it suffices as a mini-prologue. In LeGuin's simple yet multi-layered world of magic, Earthsea, it almost feels as if it's axis is the island of Roke. It may well be, it seems all winds revolve around the island and the school of wizardry, but, in actuality they really revolve around the Immanent Grove. The Grove's location appears to be constantly changing, but is it? Is it the world that's doing the changing? Now we're at least a decade, or so, removed from what has transpired on Atuan and a young man has traveled far to bring Roke troubling news.
Arren, the son of the Prince (familiar with some wizardry) of Enland and the Enlades, stands before the Archmage of Roke and relates an initial report from a sea captain to his father about the island of Naveduen to the far west of his homeland. It appeared to the captain that all spells and wizardry had vanished from the island and that it's people walked around in a delusional, apathetic stupor. Eventually, more traders return from that island and confirm the report. At first these reports are dismissed as tales of the Reach, but the Prince took them seriously. And when his personal wizard, Root, found he that could not remember his spells and patterning during the New Year's festival in Enlad, he, the Prince, invoked spells as well, to no avail.
"My father believes that this matter, and the tale of Naveduen, show some evil at work in our part of the world. He desires the counsel of the Wise."
The Archmage tells the youth that he is not sure how the counsel can help his father, but that his tale of strange happenings is not the first. That on Warhort, to the south, the springs of wizardy are supposedly running dry as well. Arren offers his service and sword to aid the Archmage against this encroaching evil, and the Archmage says he will consider it. The youth goes on to say that he doesn't know how he can help but that his ancestors were mages and that he may be able to learn some small mastery. The Archmage gently informs him that his people's line is ancient and righteous and that before they knew of magic they were great kings.
The boy is then dimissed for supper and bed by this, relatively, new Archmage: "the greatest wizard of all Earthsea, the man who had capped the Black well of Fundar and won the Ring of Erreth-Akbe from the Tombs of Atuan and built the deep-founded sea wall of Nepp; the sailor who knew the seas from Astowell to Selidor; the only living Dragonlord." at the fountain in the courtyard of the Greathouse near the Rowan Tree. We've met this guy somewhere before haven't we?
Sparrowhawk, Ged as he is known to the Master Doorkeeper, yet few others, then begins preparations to summon the council, to meet that night, to address these concerns, concerns that loom even greater than they appear, concerns that gnaw at the very root of wizardy and the safety of the world. His efforts range from seeking out the elusive Master Patterner in the Immanent Grove itself to preforming a sending to Kurremkarmerruk, the Master Namer, in his isolated tower to the northwest.

Post subject: Re: The Farthest Shore-Chapter One: The Rowan Tree
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:15 am 
Master Pilot

And so it begins! :highdrake: Such a great story! A book filled with such beauty and wonder! And here, in the first chapter, we meet the Master Patterner of Earthsea! A man whose name we'll learn after the next book. But I suppose it's not a huge spoiler to say it now. And, since I can't contain my excitement:

AZVER

Hehe. He and Ged are among my very favorite characters of all literature.

The Immanent Grove is also something we learn more about later. Some crazy woman named Taiga Tzu once posted about it, though.

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:46 am 
Lady Scryer

Very nice beginning Danlo. 8)

If we can remember back to the previous book, Ged had found and repaired the Ring of Ereth-Akbe and its broken rune, which supposedly had powers to bring peace to the world, IIRC.

If the springs of magic are running dry and people are wandering about in delusional pathetic stupors, where is that peace? :?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:33 pm 
The Timekeeper

peace, or piece? If piece, that was just my poetic license... :P I don't know where the peace is I left a lot of this chapter open on purpose, especially the brilliant scene leading up to and in the Grove...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:59 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:18 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
The opening of this chapter, and book, alone speaks volumes to me. To start with the interior Court of the Fountain and work outwards through the Great House of Roke towards the description of the magically powerful outer walls shows the significance of what is done within, versus what is presented for all to see.

The Archmage choosing to ask Arren regarding the meaning of his name in his native tongue, rather than admit he already knows it, if such is the case, makes him approachable to the newcomer to Roke, and I am sure has much to do with Arren being drawn to him. His postponement of Arren's offer of service shows wisdom as well, as it gives Arren the opportunity to think on what he rashly offered.

I had forgotten we heard more of Yarrow at the start of this story, if merely a brief mention. :hearts:

And that Azver was Master Patterner a mere decade after presenting himself at Roke? From that start we are informed of either his power or wisdom, if only through implication.

Yet despite the calling for a council and the words of sensed fear by the Master Patterner, the Archmage still centers himself when his message to the Master Namer is sent, and sleeps. May we all find our center, despite the worries of the world. Image

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:28 am 
The UnTitled

Awesome stuff. And I opened my cupboard a couple of days ago, and my Earthsea book fell out (and hit me on the head :lol: ). So I'm good to go too.

--A

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:12 am 

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:43 am 
Pilot

Nice opening, danlo!

It's a fantasy cliche, this first chapter (having read the rest), but kudos to leGuin in my opinion,that you can see what's coming and still want to read on, even if you suspect ....something!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:04 am 
The Timekeeper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:16 pm 

The copy I have is also by Bantam (Bantam Spectra), but does not have a publishing date, only a publishing history. It does say the cover art is copyright 1984 by Yvonne Gilbert, so it must be newer than your edtion. However, the quote above is the same. It says he arrived on Gont and told such to the Doorkeeper.

I am sure you are correct though, and that it was supposed to be Roke, not Gont.

~Avatar