[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Twilight - Stephenie Meyer

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:49 pm 
Pilot

So, my wife has now been sucked into the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. She says that it is young adult fiction at its worst, and spends a great deal of time deriding it as beneath her. She says she constantly wants to beat the protagonist for being foolish.
Yet she can't put it down, and has already purchased the sequels...

Can any others weigh in? Should I even attempt it, or is it too girly? I have read much Anne Rice, so I may be halfway there already... :)

dw

Post subject: Re: Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:31 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
Is magickmaker a member of the Hangar? I think she and aliantha both have posted about this series on the Watch.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:15 pm 
Lady Scryer

When I get home I will post some links I have run into at another board:

1. discussing the huge amount of the author's religion which creeps into the books

2. discussing the bizarre life of the main male character, sparkly vampire (these vampires sparkle in the sunlight and do not consume human blood) over a hundred years old, trapped in the body of a 17 year old male virgin (talk about blue balls after being trapped in a teen aged male body with not even self-relief for all of those years :o ), and experiencing the special hell of having to go to high school in a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere. those journal entries are called "growing up Cullen" and made me laugh myself sick. :D If you google, look for Growing Up Cullen and you might run into them. (Livejournal is blocked at work, so I cannot access them here to even link them).

I have not personally read the books - I could not get past the fourth page of the thing by this author that I tried to read (the thing I tried to read is on the internet, so I will post that link when I get home as well), but have heard lots of really horrible things about them being the most unhealthy thing you could have a girl read - the main female character is supposedly a pathetic doormat and the main male character (the sparkly vampire) is supposedly a controlling stalking jerk who even breaks into her house so he can watch her sleep (YUCK!!!).

edited to add:
here is a link that contains a link to the work forbidden links:

scroll down it and look for "Growing Up Cullen" :D 8)

plus all sorts of stuff about the literally insane and creepy fans :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:42 am 
Pilot

Well, I think that tells me all I need to know. My wife read the cleoland wiki over my shoulder, laughing and nodding, and has decided that I would me much better off not reading it. Ever. Ever. Ever.

Decision made. :)

Having said that, I'd still love to hear from others who have read some or all of these books.

dw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:07 pm 
Lady Scryer

I have not forgotten about posting those links. I am just really tired today, so consider this post a placeholder until I am a bit more awake. :wink:

Ok - here we go:

The thing where I could not get past the fourth page:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:56 pm 
Lady Scryer

I watched the dvd of the movie yesterday - was not impressed. Maybe I am just too old, but saw nothing sexy in the character of Edward Cullen - what a creepyass controlling stalker. :|

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:44 pm 
Master Pilot

Heh, just saw this for the first time. Magickmaker read the whole series because her BFF was nuts about them. She liked the first book well enough to read the others. But by the time she finished the last one, she was going, "Meh."

After that ringing endorsement, I was disinclined even to pick up the first one... :lol:

My books:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:29 pm 
Lady Scryer

I know that movies are often not as good as books, but I do not know if I could ever read the book after seeing that movie. Since when does true love involve breaking into someone's house to watch them sleep every night, and picking them up and carrying them around like a baby all of the time? :roll: Edward shows all of the signs of a potential abuser with his creepy controlling ways - how in the hell is that romantic? :roll:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:43 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:06 pm 
Lady Scryer

I'm not familiar with that book - but I would guess that it is about a parent and child relationship?

There would be a huge difference between a parent checking up on a sleeping baby/toddler and carrying said baby around - and a hundred + year old guy breaking into someone else's house to watch the 17 year old chick he wants to have a sexual relationship with sleeping and also carrying her around like a baby (and therefore both infantalizing her and giving off creepy quasi-child sexual predator vibes).

One is natural.

The other one needs psychiatric intervention (and a call to 911 for home invasion).

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:29 am 
The Timekeeper

Tam just bought the book, and wants to get the whole series to pass on to Elora.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:18 am 
Lady Scryer

In that case, I sure hope that the book is better than the movie!

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:21 pm 
The Timekeeper

I have no ideal on the movie-her friends like the book-I will never have any desire to see the movie. I'm not into modern vampire stuff at all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:26 pm 
Pilot

IRL friend of mine summed it up best - "If it sparkles, it's not a vampire, it's a unicorn!"
:)

dw