[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - What Horror are you reading right now?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: what horror are you reading right now?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:06 am 
Master Pilot

***SPOILERS***

Having finished The Lurking Fear and Other Stories, I thought I would rate the individual tales therein:

The Lurking Fear: Relies on standard Lovecraftian tropes and themes (rapid degenearate evolution, bizarre family histories, &c.); expends too much language assuring us that things are cosmically horrifying or indescribably hideous in lieu of actual horror-inducing description; saved by brilliant dreamlogic moments, as when the protagonist is driven to keep digging after he has already removed a coffin, discovers a cramped, pitch black tunnel in the ground, and sojourns into it (crawling) with only a dying flashlight! Grade: B

Dagon: A south seas archeological adventure with Lovecraft in H. Rider Haggard mode; nicely executed and a neat-weird geological idea. Grade: A-

Beyond the Wall of Sleep: Lacks any suspense with H. P. telegraphing the concept from the outset and then lamely trudging toward its conclusion anyway; extra-credit points for Lovecraft's finest title though. Grade: D-

The White Ship: Hmm, not sure what to make of this one; some excellent fantasy ideas and descriptions here, but maybe too brief to muster any real impact. Grade: B-

Arthur Jermyn: Oh no, Lovecraft telegraphing badly again; another degenerate family with a mysterious ancestor; seriously considering other reading material at this point. Grade: F

From Beyond: Liked this one a lot for some reason; maybe for its visual intensity or its snappy pacing; rescued my interest in this book. Grade: A

The Temple: Excellent - rescued my regard for Lovecraft; an unlikely protagonist in a strange and unpredictable tale (another sea-faring story - I like to see H. P. working outside the New England gothic occasionally); evokes a real sense of wonder. Grade: A+

The Moon Bog: Some nice surreal imagery (spirits dancing in moonlight to a pan-pipe - who can resist) makes up for the fact that you're way ahead of the characters the whole time. Grade: C+

The Hound: Don't really remember much about the story, but the initial concept is terrific - the decadent grave-robbers and their personal museum of the horrific; rich in aesthetic detail. Grade: A-

The Unnamable: Predictable but kinda fun as it reveals a bit about how H. P. sees his own craft (the main character is a writer of weird tales); references to 18th Century America are more historically concrete than usual (Cotton Mather, &c.), which is interesting. Grade: B-

The Outsider: Very weird, very intriguing story; twist ending is unfortunately way too obvious. Grade: C

The Shadow Over Innsmouth: Well, I hate to besmirch a classic, but I'm afraid Shadow takes the few Lovecraftian elements that I'm not fond of, and drags them out for 70 tedious pages; obsessed with degenerate families, slow moving, predictable and overly wordy, this is like a 'worst of HPL' compilation for me. The escape/chase through town was handled well though. Grade: D- <i>Edited by: AlphSeeker at: 12/10/03 7:18 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:04 pm 
Lady Scryer

I have been reading an anthology called Dates from Hell. When i get my home computer back, I shall start a thread about the anthology, and at least one of the authors (Kim Harrison) who has a novella in it. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:00 am 
Lady Scryer

I have started reading a collection of short horror stories by Ray Bradbury, called The October Country.

Thus far most of the sotries are anchored into the real world, and some are still pretty creepy, even though a lot of them are around fifty years old.

Ah, Bradbury can write some excellent short fiction, can't he? ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:00 pm 
Lady Scryer

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I must have seen to many cheesy movies based on the book, as the novel is much different and much better than what i was expecting. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:54 pm 
Lady Scryer

Frankenstein is quite wonderful, by the way.

I think I will start a thread for it once I finish it. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:04 am 
Lady Scryer

I have been reading an omnibus of Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde supernatural mystery novels. Pretty good.

I will have to start a thread for that and for Frankenstein when I have a bit more time. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:33 pm 
Lady Scryer

THE TERROR by Dan Simmons, a mixture of historic fiction and horror, set in an Arctic exploration party in the 1840's. ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:59 am 
Lady Scryer

I've been rading a couple of short novels by Madelyn Alt. They were in the mystery section, but they deal with supernatural issues as well as mystery, so they could also be seen as either fantasy or horror. :? They are called The Trouble With Magic and A Charmed Death. A woman named Maggie O'Neill has a dead end job in a pokey little town in Indiana. One day she gets a new job in a charming store called Enchantments- and it turns out that her boss is a practicing witch. It turns out that Maggie herself has some empathic talents, and can "feel" spirits".

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:00 am 
Lady Scryer

For a Few Demons More by Kim Harrison. :) Demons, magic, and mayhem in northern Kentucky and in Cincinnati. I love this series of books. :D 8)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:41 pm 
Lady Scryer

The old classic Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury...

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:40 am 
The UnTitled

I've never been that big a fan of Bradbury really. Not sure why even...

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:42 am 
Lady Scryer

Some of his short stories & novellas are superb, but so far I am not really getting into this novel so much...though I am not very far into it yet... :?

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:07 am 
Pilot

one of the 30 days of night novels. i am enjoying the story very much.

Post subject: Re: What Horror are you reading right now?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:07 pm 
Master Pilot

Let the Right One in by John Ajvide Lindqvist (translated to English), a vampire novel originally in Swedish. A horror novel on which a recent Swedish film is based (see seperate entry in this category). First true horror I've read in years; FYI, I consider Generation Loss, read this last summer, by E. Hand a horror novel. Liking it lots. Another message will be given when i finish it.

W/T are forever

Post subject: Re: What Horror are you reading right now?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:13 am 
Lady Scryer

Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow. It is a very long (hundreds of pages) poem about an LA dog catcher in love with a werewolf bitch. Lots of pack politics and war between rival packs. I know it sounds strange, but it actually very enjoyable. 8)

Image Image Image