Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What Horror are you reading right now?
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 7:30 pm 
Master Pilot

Geez I can't remember the title to the last Horror book I read but it was something by Dean Knootz had to do with a character who had neurvosous-pigmantosis (allergic to daylight--or any harsh light-the same thing the kids suffered from in the movie The Others) I think his name was Chris Snow--traveled around on his bike at night with his faithful dog tracking down abducted children in an abandonded military installation somewhere in California. It was pretty neat--but I stopped reading after he encounters the hyper-mutant research monkey tribe--roaming the installation--need to pick it back up again. Anyway King Theoden stated in What Sci-Fi are you reading now? that he was reading It by Stephen King--I would classify that more of Horror than Sci-Fi so that inspired me to start this thread, and one in Gen. Fantasy, as well. So how about it? What Horror story are you presently engaged in?

Fall Far and Well Pilots

Post subject: Re: What Horror r u reading right now?
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 12:07 am 
Master Pilot

Well, as you know...I am currently rereading IT by Stephen King, but the best horror story I've ever read is <i> The Mist</i>, an entirely too short novella from <i> Skeleton Crew</i> by Stephen King. His descriptions of horror happening is beyond reproach. If you've never read <i> The Mist</i>, you've really missed out on a treat. Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

Post subject: What I am reading right now.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:37 pm 
Pilot

Hello;
Just came across this site. If you really are interested at the moment I am reading;
Return to Lovecraft Country by

Scott David Aniolowski <i></i>

Post subject: Re: What I am reading right now.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:01 pm 
Master Pilot

cool! will check in2 that! please register and bcome a member! u r more than welcome here! Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i></i>

Post subject: Just exactly what kind of site is this?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 7:40 pm 
Pilot

Hey there;
Are you a gaming site? Because I don't do role playing games. I was just looking for a site where others read Lovecraft, Howard or other Eldritch horror authors. Talk about books you know? I read a lot of Alternate worlds stuff; ie: Vampire detectives and Science Fiction as well.
Innsmouth Lady <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Just exactly what kind of site is this?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 7:56 pm 
Master Pilot

Role playing games is probably the only thing that is "not" done over here, M'Lady! Anything you don't see, just start a thread about it, and it will probably be discussed. This is an excellent discussion forum. I just finished IT (finally! Over 1100 pages). Glad to have you here at the Hangar. Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/13/03 12:05 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Just exactly what kind of site is this?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 8:14 pm 
Master Pilot

We do have a url 4 The Eldritch Dark and Nerdanel has promised 2 start a Clarke Aston Smith topic--please feel free 2 start ur own topics! I'd really like 2 expand the Horror Forum and am looking 4 a moderator--if u'd like 2 do that u can do whatever u want w "The Corner". So many Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror sites have rpgs and discuss TV shows, Star Wars and Star Trek SO much--but I really discourage such things here--it's fine 2 discuss anything in "The Manifold" from a TV/Movie review or literary standpoint-or Sci-Fi movies in Gen. Sci-Fi/Fantasy movies in Gen. Fantasy/Horror movies in Cthulhu's Corner--even SW or ST as long as it is done in an intelligent/thought provoking way--we do concentrate on discussing authors, primarily! This is also a decent site in that we have profanity filters and don't allow flaming, spamming or attacks--many of our "core" members came from a similar type site and expect courtesy and maturity. We r a fan site 4 the author David Zindell--and we do not role play his characters--basically we're just a Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror and Gen. Literature discussion site, PERIOD! Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/6/02 1:27:31 pm
</i>

Post subject: This is going to sound daft I know
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:45 pm 
Pilot

Alright I know this sounds silly but when I tried to sign the guest book it wouldn't let me. Also how do I join or do I just keep signing in? Thanks ever so for any help. I'll be checking again some time tomorrow. Thank you;
Innsmouth Lady <i></i>

Post subject: Re: This is going to sound daft I know
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 1:33 am 
Master Pilot

U sould b able 2 sign the guestbook whether u're a member or not. Anyway just hit the register 4 ur free account (under the red Ahira's banner)--punch ur name it and w/ur next post u automatically bcome a Pilot! Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i></i>

Post subject: Re: This is going to sound daft I know
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:03 am 
Lady Scryer

I just finished reading Children of the Night by Dan SImmons -- a very very creepy vampire story. He had quite a few snippets of the life of the real Dracula mixed in, and the real man was about a million times more scarey than any movie monster...I honestly think he could have given people like Hitler a run for their money had he had access to modern weapons. ox

Very soon I am going to give Lovecraft a try. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: what horror are you reading right now?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:04 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, I recently finished Dan Simmons's Summer of Night so decided to do a quick read of its sequel, A Winter Haunting... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Post subject: Re: what horror are you reading right now?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:54 am 
Lady Scryer

And I just finished George R. R. Martin's Fevre Dream, which was absolutely wonderful! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:29 am 
Pilot

'Salem's Lot Be still heart

Hold peace

There is also love in the world.<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:11 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm reading The Lurking Fear and Other Stories by H. P. Lovecraft. Boy, ol' H. P. was none too kind to the natives of the Catskill mountains, was he? Oh well, probably very few of them had subscriptions to Weird Tales anyhow.

A couple of odd little synchronicities: The "lurking fear" in the story by that name, turns out not to be a demon, but instead a race of filthy white apes descended (degenerated, de-evolved) from a Catskill Dutch family recognizable by their mismatched eye color - one brown, one blue. After finishing this story, I put the book down and opened my browser to a news website which featured on its front page ... a white ape! (Apparently the world's only known albino gorilla has died.) Finding this coincidence a little creepy, I logged off and decided to watch the DVD I had rented, X2. There's a character in the movie, the mind-controlling mutant Jason Stryker, who appears as a sweet little girl to the clouded mind of Professor X, but the girl shares one notable characteristic with Jason ... one brown eye, one blue! <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:43 pm 
Master Pilot

**Twilight Zone theme plays** *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>