Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: No Hitchcock in a Horror forum???
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:58 pm 
Master Pilot

I grew up with the TV show Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and that plus The Inner Sanctum were two of the scariest shows ever before The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits came along. I adore Hitchcock's films! The last one I saw was The 39 Steps and the first three I ever saw were The Birds, Psycho and Rear Window. I've only seen one at the theater, Frenzy, pretty gory for AH but pretty good.

I hope I'm not copying a thread in the Manifold but Vertigo is probably my all time favorite followed by Rope, North by Northwest and Notorious. I've also seen To Catch a Thief (which was written by my prospective Godfather, David Dodge), Lifeboat, The Man Who Knew Too Much and Dial M for Murder. And the three I haven't that I really want to are The Lodger, Rebecca and the classic, The Lady Vanishes.

Does any one know if the two, more recent, Mr and Mrs. Smiths are based on Alfie's movie? :?

Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject: Re: No Hitchcock in a Horror forum???
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:57 pm 
Lady Scryer

Oh man. Hitchcock was the master of psychological horror films. Don't forget The Birds and Rear Window.

I have never been able to bring myself to watch Psycho ~ I have heard that it is terrifying to watch. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:50 am 
Master Pilot

I saw Hitchcock's Psycho only about a month ago. I knew about the famous shower scene, but had not seen the whole movie before.

Guess what? This is, so far, the only Hitchcock film I've watched. And I can now understand why he was seen as the master of psychological horror. Psycho is a very sophisticated, multi-layered kind of horror. It also feels very contemporary, despite being made over 40 years ago.

I think if you watched Psycho in the right frame of mind, quietly at night, it could still terrify. I see it as a dark mood piece punctuated by brief, devastating violence. It's one incredibly focused movie, a marvel of economy. I'd say more, but I don't wish to ruin it for Duchess. The story is disturbing and sad, but it's definitely a movie worth watching. :tu: