[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - What's everyone's favourite horror film?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What's everyone's favourite horror film?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:09 pm 
Pilot

Not sure myself, for me it's probably a toss-up between The Thing and Alien (which some of you may not even consider to be horror). What do other people think? <i></i>

Post subject: Re: What's everyone's favourite horror film?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:04 am 
Master Pilot

In the Mouth of Madness is my fav. (like The Thing, loosely based on H. P. Lovecraft's works) directed by John Carpenter. Brief synopsis:

Sutter Cane (JURGEN PROCHNOW) is the best selling author whose newest novel is literally driving readers insane. When he inexplicably vanishes, his publisher (CHARLTON HESTON) sends special investigator John Trent (SAM NEILL) to track him down. Drawn to a town that only exists in Cane’s books, Trent crosses the barrier between fact and fiction and enters a terrifying world from which there is no escape. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/16/04 8:08 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:56 pm 
Pilot

This is an old thread, so it's likely no one will see this. I liked the second Alien movie. I like Lost Boys. I loved Interview with the Vampire. I liked Queen of the Damned. I loved FFC's Dracula (Winona and Keanu ruined it, but.....) But I REALLY like the Underworld movies. The story didn't center around "how do we destroy the nasty vampire." It centered around the races of vampires and werewolves, showing them as families with histories and loyalties. Just enough gore to make it horror, just enough plot to keep it together and make sense. And I am female, but Kate Beckinsale ROX! <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:57 pm 
Master Pilot

Point of clarification. FWIW, Ridley Scott's Alien is a SF adventure movie, and James Cameron's Aliens is a horror movie. Both flicks are great IMO.

Favorite horror movies, Carpenter's Halloween is IMO, pretty scary, and there's a version of A Christmas Carole from the 1930s in B/W that made me hide behind my hands as a kid. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Buffy fans Chicago
my livej<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 10/13/06 8:01 am
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:02 pm 
Lady Scryer

I do not know if this would even count - but I have always had a great fondness for The Nightmare Before Christmas. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:53 pm 
Master Pilot

Why not? It's funny-everyone's raving about The Thing in the Best Sci-Fi Flick thread at the Watch. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:36 am 
Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:05 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
:::admitting I'm not really into horror films, although novels are a different thing with me:::

Not sure if it's considered horror, but I would put Silence of the Lambs as number 1 for me...

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:52 pm 
Lady Scryer

I have not seen the movie, but have read the book. The serial killers could be viewed as monsters of a sort, so I would think it could be seen as horror. :?

My problem with a lot of horror movies is the gore that a lot of them have. I hate extreme gore and violence.

I would much rather watch something like The Mothman Prophecies that plays with your head rather than watch some slasher flick... :)

edited to add:
It's funny that I cannot stand really gory horror films, as I can watch some pretty violent movies like Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List. I guess I can watch it (violence) if I know it is there for a legitamate reason... :?

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:27 am 
The UnTitled

You work in a hospital and you have a problem with gore? :lol: Man...I knew this old battle-axe of a theatre nurse...

Anyway, favourite horror...hmmm...I'm not a big horror fan...Clive Barker's NightBreed is probably my favourite. I love his whole NightBreed/Cenobyte storylines. After watching NightBreed, I spent a long time searchiung for the book, Cabal. I was sorely dissappointed that it contained not much more (if any) information than the movie did. :D The best so far was the Jihad set of comics about the war between them. (In terms of adding to the story anyway.)

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:40 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:48 am 
The UnTitled

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:15 am 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:27 pm 
Master Pilot

It's easy for me to say Alien. I saw the film at the theater as a young teenager and frankly it was gripping like no other film I'd seen, leaving a lasting impression.

These days I'm not sure if I've been horrified by any "Horror" films. Sure I've seen some rather tense movies but there is only one film in recent memory that literally had me sitting up half the night after watching it. I spent the entire film on an uncomfortable edge and had that underlying sick feeling that not only could ANYONE and everyone on screen loose their lives but that it seemed like I was standing with the characters experiencing things with them. I was practically ducking my own head half the time. Saving Private Ryan isn't a horror film but my reaction to it was definitely to have been horrified.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:59 pm 
Lady Scryer

When Saving Private Ryan came out, the VA had to set up a national 1-800 help line because it was giving combat vets so many nasty flashbacks and getting their PTSD going. The opening D-Day sequence in particular is supposedly as close to real combat as most of us will ever get... :?

Image Image Image