[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Suggestions for a good vampire read

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Suggestions for a good vampire read
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:03 pm 
Pilot

Anyone here ever read Teresa Medeiros? Just wondered. I understand there is a book with a sequel. I wanted the name of the first book so I could check it out. I read somewhere they were pretty darn good. Supposedly vampire books, the REAL kind, not mind-invading kind. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for a good vampire read
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:57 pm 
Lady Scryer

I googled around a bit and found that she has two books out, After Midnight and The Vampire Who. Loved Me. I have not read these myself, so cannot comment. Reader comments are positive on them, though.

Some of my favorite vampire reads:
historical fiction:
Fevre Dream by George RR Martin (more action adventure)
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

science fiction:
Children of the Night by Dan Simmons

romantic mystery:
Charlaine Harris has a great series out, collectively called The Southern Vampire Mysteries

comedy
there is a cross between vampires and Sex in the City, a series by Mary Janice Davidson set in the Twin Cities and featuring a vampire queen named Betsy Taylor

romance:
Lynsey Davis has a series of romance novels out, the first one was called A Quick Bite & I thought it was fun, I haven't read any others yet

just plain wonderful read:
Sunshine by Robin McKinley (can be hard to initially get into, but well worth it)

edit: I just saw your other post. All of these other than The Historian involve biting and/or other bloodshed and/or mayhem in some sort of combination.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi at: 10/6/06 8:47 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:51 pm 
Pilot

Thanks, Duchess. To anyone interested in the HUMAN family of Dracula, there is a trilogy out there that is top notch. Jeanne Kalogridis's "Diaries of the Family Dracul." There are three books in the series. I don't know if she has written any more besides these. I found them about 10 years ago and have read them many times. Really good, some of the best. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:03 pm 
Lady Scryer

Dan Simmons has snippets of real world Dracula history in his Children of the Night. Blood chilling and disturbing stuff - no wonder his name was attached to a mythical monster! ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:50 pm 
Pilot

I went to Teresa Medeiros's web site. She had an excerpt from one of her vampire books on there, looked like two or three pages' worth. It read a lot like a romance novel. I loathe romance novels, so that is crossed off the list. My library doesn't carry Dan Simmons's deep dark books. Wonder if he has a web site too with excerpts. I'll check it out. Thanks. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:28 am 
Master Pilot

Sorry to let this lay unnoticed, BUT... I'll second Duchess's recommend McKinley's Sunshine, it's not like other vampire books. Let the Right one In by Lindqvist, the novel that the 2008 movie was based on.

W/T are forever

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:24 pm 
Master Pilot

I might have to try "Sunshine". I liked her "Spindle's End". I've been trying to avoid the vampire craze -- for my money, the original "Dracula" is still the best.

My books:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:52 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:50 pm 
Master Pilot

W/T are forever

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:49 pm 
Lady Scryer

I think it was the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton and Cassandra Palmer series by Karen Chance, but I have now a huge mental allergy to vampire lords lusting after normal old humans in a sexual way. I figure it would be like me be sexually obsessed with a cow! YUCK!!!

Sunshine is not like those at all. 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:18 pm 
Master Pilot

"Sunshine" is sounding better and better! :lol:

My books: