[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Mary Janice Davidson

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mary Janice Davidson
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:07 am 
Lady Scryer

I picked up a little vampire novel at the warehouse club the other week because it looked so cute. It is called Undead and Unwed and is written by Mary Janice Davidson. It tells the story of a 30 year old secretary from the Twin Cities who is run over by a car in a spring snow storm, and finds out that she is now a vampire and cannot stay dead.

from the back cover:
Quote:
It's been a helluva week for Betsy Taylor. First, she loses her job. Then, to top things off, she's killed in a car accident. But what really bites (besides waking up in the morgue dressed in a pink suit and cheap shoes courtesy of her stepmother) is that she can't seem to stay dead. Every night she rises, with a horrible craving for blood. She's not taking too well to a liquid diet.

Worst of all, her new friends have the ridiculous idea that Betsy is the prophesied vampire queen, and they want her help in overthrowing the most obnoxious, power-hungry vampire in five centuries - a badly dressed Bela Lugosi wannabe, natch. Frankly, Betsy couldn't care less about vamp politics, but they have a powerful waepon of persuasion: designer shoes. How can any self-respecting girl say no? But a collection of Ferragamos isn't the only temptation for Betsy. It's just a lot safer than the sexy Sinclair - a seductive bloodsucker whose sexy gaze seems as dangerous as a stake through the heart...

Even though my TBR pile is very high, I just couldn't resist a book with an opening line of:

Quote:
The day I died started out bad and got worse in a hurry.

So far I have gotten some good chuckles. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi at: 10/30/05 9:53 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: Mary Janice Davidson
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:56 am 
Lady Scryer

I finished up Undead and Unwed. It was really funny!

I suppose I should warn people that there is a lot of swearing in it, and a lot of sex scenes. I know some people do not feel comfortable with either of those elements.

I have moved on to the second book, which was also at the warehouse club. It is called Undead and Unemployed. I have only just started it, but Betsy finds her dream job -- in the designer shoe department at Macy's in the Mall of America.

Apparently there is a whole series of books about Queen Betsy. I will have to look for further books at the library. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:59 pm 
Lady Scryer

In honor of Halloween, I tracked down the third book in the Undead series, Undead and Unappreciated. In this one, Queen Betsy learns that she has a half-sister, whose mother is Satan, and who is destined to rule the world.

These little books just tickle me. They are quite funny, and despite the vampires' power struggles, and the murder, and mayhem (not to mention Betsy's potty mouth ) that sometimes happen as a result, they are rather good natured. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:41 pm 
Lady Scryer

Tracked down the fourth (and currently last) book, Undead and Unreturnable, and read it late last nigth and this morning. In it, Queen Betsy and her hell spawn sister track down a serial killer who preys on tall blonde women (which describes them both). It is also Christmas time in Betsy's Minnesota, a time of year most vampires do not enjoy. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:44 am 
Lady Scryer

The latest book in this series, Dead and Loving It, has been published. It contains four novellas which will apparently tie in Davidson's vampire stories with her werewolf stories (I have not read the werewolf stories, but the vampire stories are a hoot!). ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:14 pm 
Lady Scryer

I read Dead and Loving It last night, and some of the stories are a hoot. Four novellas about werewolves and vampires looking for their perfect mates. Lots of very explicit sex scenes, lot of cussing. very charming - I really enjoyed it. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:02 pm 
Lady Scryer

There is a new book out in this series, Undead and Unpopular. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:17 pm 
Lady Scryer

I read Undead and Unpopular by Mary Janice Davidson, latest in her racy comic series about a vampire queen named Betsy Taylor who lives in the Twin Cities in Minnesota. In this book, Betsy is about to celebrate her 31'st birthday, which will also mark one year of being a vampire. She wishes to stop drinking blood, faces a major crisis with one of her best friends, a mortal...and some powerful European vampires have finally gotten around to visiting her to pay tribute, only it turns out that there is some ugly past history between them and her American followers.

<i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:49 am 
Lady Scryer

Seems like a lot of the current popular vampire series have new books coming out lately.

In May there was a new Sookie Stackhouse (Southern Vampire Mysteries) book by Charlaine Harris. Now in June there is a new Anita Blake Vampire Hunter book by Laurell K. Hamilton and also a new Queen Betsy book by MaryJanice Davidson!

The new Quenn Betsy book is called Undead and Uneasy. While I have not read it yet, I have every hope that it will prove to be as charming and funny as the rest of the series. :D 8)

Image Image Image