Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Serpent and the Rainbow
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:13 am 
Master Pilot

Just rented The Serpent and the Rainbow which I'd never seen before, and was mightily impressed! How is it I missed out on this thing for so many years?

I guess after seeing both the mediocre Believers and low-budget Prince of Darkness, I wasn't much interested in another voo-doo or zombie movie in 1988. Plus, I was never much of a Wes Craven fan. Now, I wish the guy would break out of his teen-horror mould and direct some adventure films. Or even serious drama - he definitely has the potential!

I love the way the supernatural elements are handled in this movie (except during the last ten minutes or so). Seems a lot more subtle than usual, and genuinely scary when combined with the sorta political terror the characters are faced with.

But I guess you can chalk that up to Wade's original story. What really impresses me is the way that Craven captures the geography and culture of Haiti, both political and religeous (I realize the voo-doo is over-emphasized for effect). While the acting isn't perfect, there is a local authenticity to it that, for sheer sophistication, beats many serious political movies I have seen which seek to portray other nation's cultures. And this from a horror movie!

Besides, the whole thing just looks fantastic! That lush jungle and the vibrant colors of the ramshackle towns and locals' clothing - just gorgeous! And the rich, realistic aesthetics of the Santaria culture - wow! Somehow Craven even manages to avoid that telltale cheezy look of typical 80's movies (again, except for the last ten minutes). He deserves tremendous credit for that feat alone.

'Serpent' has its flaws, to be sure, but I think it deserves to be ranked as a near-masterpiece, somewhere just below Angel Heart. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: The Serpent and the Rainbow
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:34 am 
Master Pilot

I agree that's why it places #5 on my Top Ten Horror films! It simply rocks! As does AngelHeart! *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/9/06 10:51 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:11 am 
Master Pilot

OK, have to comment here. And really do not have anything to say other than I agreeing with both Alph and Danlo's comments. Serpent and the Rainbow is an excellent movie. Wes Craven, can really direct. The factual underpinnings of the movie are pretty well documented. I saw this with a friend of mine when I still lived in California and she had few clues, afterward I spent a lot of time explaining things.

Angel Heart. That movie is so f*****g weird (pardon my language). It is not a bad movie, and recently rewatched most of it on IFC cable recently. And here's a strange fact for you it is one of the most normal movies Mickey Rourke has been in. IMO, the payoff of what happened to Johnny Fontane really does not live up to the buildup of Harold Angel's search for answers. Have to admit as a character Harold Angel is not forgetable. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 12/16/03 9:13 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:54 am 
Master Pilot

What's really weird about this film (Serpent) is that I can't stand Pullman (yet he's unreal in this)---to some degree in Twister but not much else. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 8/8/06 9:55 pm
</i>