Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Did Queen of the Damned kill Hollywood Horror?
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 2:03 pm 
Master Pilot

There seems to be a horrible dearth of good horror movies out right now. I haven't seen Ghost Ship (sounds too gross) and am reluctant to see The Ring. Aside from those two, possibly good, films Hollywood has really landed on it's ass in the last year or so. Dreamcatcher went bust, apparently it wasn't too good, and Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses is being reviewed as worse than Roger Corman but to bad to be as good as Ed Wood. Please tell me I'm wrong and I've missed a gem! Dagon? hmmm...Please tell me there's a really good scary flick out there on the horizon...PLEASE!!! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited. Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/8/06 7:42 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Did Queen of the Damned kill Hollywood Horror?
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 11:16 pm 
Lady Scryer

I've heard some good things about the Ring...that's about it.
I haven't had time to see it yet myself. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:27 am 
Master Pilot

Well I 4got the Mothman Prophesies, but still... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: mothman
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:30 am 
Lady Scryer

Now Mothman Prophecies was a movie I both saw and enjoyed.
Somewhat creepy but not gross!
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:56 am 
Pilot

I can recommend The Shadow of the Vampire, starring John Malkovich. I saw it two nights ago and it was excellent. It's about the filming of Nosferatu, but The Shadow of the Vampire is itself a horror movie. If you'd like to spend an interesting even and don't mind silent movies, find copies of both Nosferatu and The Shadow of the Vampire, and watch them together.

Beyond that, I can't recommend any other recent horror movies, although The Ring had its good points, although they tried to milk too much from the ending and the whole of the story ended up being marred by a too-convoluted reasoning. At least, that's the impression that the movie left with me.

However, if you'd like something new to watch, I can mention some older movies that I like.

In no particular order:

The Last Man on Earth is a surprisingly good adaptation of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend for a movie so rarely mentioned. It stars Vincent Price and is the best movie I've seen him in. The campy Roger Corman movies he did are all right, if you're up for that, but this is something a shade more serious.

I just remembered From Hell. That was a terrific movie. I admit that in some roles Johnny Depp may be an acquired taste. But From Hell is very good, despite telling a significantly different story from the Moore & Campbell graphic novel.

Sometimes horror fans miss seeing dark suspense movies that they would probably enjoy. Again, in no particular order, I can recommend Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (w/ Bettie Davis) and Magic. Magic started as a novel by William Goldman (author and screen writer of Marathon Man, as well as screenwriter for Misery) and was adapted by him into the movie starring Anthony Hopkins, Burgess Meredith(Rocky's manager, remember?) and Ann Margaret.

Oscar Wilde's Picture of Dorian Gray was turned into a good movie; the 1945 version, that is; I don't know anything about the '74 version. You'll want the one in black and white.

My mind's going a bit blank now. I hope these suggestions are helpful.

*** I only looked at the top 10 horror thread after reading this one, danlo60. But I see now that you've mentioned Shadow and Nosferatu over there. I'll read the rest of that thread and see if I can add something more.

<i>Edited by: ineldorado at: 6/21/03 10:01 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:00 pm 
Pilot

If you like foreign films, see Ringu before The Ring. You'll have a better appreciation for it I think. I really loved The Ring. You'll LOVE the last 5 minutes. Probably the scariest twist in all modern cinema. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:44 am 
Master Pilot

I loved The Ring, The Mothman Propheses and The Last Man on Earth! Saw LMoE 4 times. last time in '65...damm I'm old! *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>