Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Bite Anthology
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:39 am 
Lady Scryer

In honor of Halloween this year I have been reading some vampire books lately. I saw an anthology named Bite with stories by the two of the authors I really enjoy, Charlaine Harris and Mary Janice Davidson, so I picked it up.

The contents include:
The Girl Who Was Infatuated With Death by Laurell K. Hamilton
One Word Answer by Charlaine Harris
Biting in Plain Site by MaryJanice Davidson
Galahad by Angela Knight
Blood Lust by Vickie Taylor

I decided not to read the first story, the one by Laurell K. Hamilton, as it is part of an ongoing series about a woman named Anita Blake, who is a vampire hunter. The story is very specifically said to take place between two of Hamilton's books, Blue Moon and Obsidian Butterfly. I hope to read some of the books by Hamilton someday, and I was worried about spoilers, so I decided to skip this one for now.

The Charlaine Harris story is one about her famous character Sookie Stackhouse. I really liked this one. It begins with Sookie doing her yardwork in the middle of the night so that she can get the help (and converse with) a vampire friend named Bubba. Interesting midnight visitors drop by, and we learn a lot more about Sookie's mysterious cousin. The story seems to take place sometime around the fifth book of the series, but there are no huge spoilers for the earlier books.

The Davidson story is a (more or less) stand alone story set in the Minnesota of vampire queen Betsy Taylor. It is about a veteranarian (who happens to be a vampire) with a serious problem.

I haven't read the other two stories yet, and as far as I know, have not sampled those two authors before. Yet I am looking forward to them. A little Halloween treat. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: The Bite Anthology
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:25 pm 
Master Pilot

A bit of book business news. This particular anthology was marketed almost exclusively on the name recoginition of LK Hamilton and Charlaine Harris. FWIW, I've heard the short story by Laurell is not very spoilery. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:44 pm 
Lady Scryer

Thank Taras. Maybe I will give it a try then, and if I like the taste of that perhaps I will track down some of Hamilton's books.

I really enjoyed the Harris and Davidson stories. I am not, sadly, enjoying the Galahad story. I just can't get into the premise of Arthur and his Round Table being vampires out to save the multiverse, working with female witches who have to have their blood sucked every couple of weeks or they will die. That's just a little too convenient, if you know what I mean. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:29 am 
Lady Scryer

I ended up finishing the anthology the other night. I did read the Hamilton story, and while there might have been minor spoilers, I do not think anything was ruined for me by reading the story. It was interesting enough that I think I will be reading at least the first of her Anita Blake books. I did not like it as much as Harris's story, and I did not like Anita Blake as much as I enjoy Sookie Stackhouse as far as characters go, but it was readable.

I did not like the Galahad story at all. It was definately the weakest link of the collection for me. ******************************************************

<i></i>