Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Robin McKinley's Sunshine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:13 am 
Lady Scryer

I'm not sure if I should talk about this book in horror in general fantasy. Since it involves vampires, it could probably go into either forum...

McKinley usually writes straightforward traditional fantasy, or else novelizations of fairy tales. She really stretched her wings with Sunshine, a post-apocalyptic story about a young woman called Sunshine and her involvement with vampires.

I enjoyed it very much.

Quote:
Oh, and his eyes were colorless. Did I say that? I hadn't thought of evil as being without color but it is. Once you get past plain everyday wickedness, the color is squeezed right out of it. Evil is a kind of oblivion, having destroyed everything on its way there.

Quote:
You can be a really nasty, selfish little jerk when you;re scared enough. I was scared enough.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Robin McKinley's Sunshine
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:19 pm 
Master Pilot

Robin McKinley! A throroughly wonderful author I need to know more about. I subscribe to a yahoo group that discusses Buffy/Angel books and Ms McKinley is like their favorite author. BTW, she was author GoH at the 2005 WisCon and her GoH speech was wonderful, it tied together vampires, homeopathic medicine (she's a practitioner), gardening and moving to the UK. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Robin McKinley's Sunshine
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:48 pm 
Lady Scryer

Before Sunshine, my favorite of her books was Deerskin, a truly heartwrenching retelling of the old fairy tale Donkeyskin. It tells the story of a young girl who is sexually abused by her parent, and what she has to go through to try to get a normal life. It is not for the faint of heart, and is a searing and quite wonderful story. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>