[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - The Vampire Chronicles

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Vampire Chronicles
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:04 am 
Pilot

I love Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. Lestat is probably the greatest vampire created since Bram Stoker created Dracula. I love his charm and audacity, he really is The Brat Prince. I really enjoy Rice's style of writing as well, its so passionate and erotic, she just sucks you in (pardon the pun) and you can't let go.

My favourite book of all the Chronicles is Queen Of The Damned. I loved the tales of the origin of the "race" of vampires it contains my two favourite female names of all time Maharet and Mekare.
Memnoch The Devil, Merrick and Blood And Gold are also worthy notables.
Does anyone else enjoy the Vampire Chronicles??? The beauty of life is you don`t have to be modernly beautiful to live it.
(C.S. Lewis)
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: The Vampire Chronicles
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:47 am 
Master Pilot

I've seen the Queen of the Damned. 'Twas good. "Molly is not afraid." Alf's voice was cold. "Molly is excited. She thinks that she will have me when I am done with you. She is a fool. I do not fornicate with animals."<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:19 am 
Lady Scryer

I have read some of them, though not all, and found them to be good and creepy. The little girl vampire, was her name Claudia? gave me the utter and total creeps for some reason... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:51 pm 
Pilot

The Vampire Chronicles are the greatest. I've read every single one of them. Lestat has to be my favorite literary character of all time so far. I loved the movie version of Interview. Queen of the Damned was an okay movie, but as an adaptation, it sucked big time. I can't wait for Blood Canticle to come out. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: OT not Vampire Chron. Anne Rice's Mayfair withches
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:51 am 
Master Pilot

Ok, this is off topic for the thread, but...

Anne Rice has written another series regarding witches. AFAIK, the books fall under the series "Lives of the Mayfair witches". Anyone, care to comment about them, please consider I have not read any Anne Rice at all. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

Post subject: Re: OT not Vampire Chron. Anne Rice's Mayfair withches
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:43 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:51 pm 
Pilot

I have read most of the Vampire Chronicles and Mayfair Witches books. Yes, they are tied together now, I believe through Blackwood Farm (will have to check to make certain).

The Mayfair Witches books are good, but you have to strap yourself in to get the full effect of all that genealogy, and in my opinion it gets a lot less interesting after the first two books or so (The Witching Hour was the first - having difficulty coming up with the 2nd title... Taltos?).

Vampire Chronicles are good, but in discussing them have found that many people are turned off by Rice's floral/sensual writing style.

The Mummy I remember reading, but I guess it didn't leave a strong impression, since I am having difficulty coming up with the plot.

dw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:48 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:22 am 
The UnTitled

It's not her florid style, it's that the Vampire books have the same problem as the Mayfair Witches...they get less and less interesting as you go.

I've got the first 7 of the Vampire books.

Interview was great, Lestat, I enjoy it less now than I used to, but it was still also great at first. QotD wasn't bad, if a little...unbelievable. Not the Vampire history, but the whole rock-star thing was a bit annoying. Introduction of the secret society thing was good though. Talamasca or whatever they're called.

Body thief was definitely losing it, and Menoch was questionable at best. Then, we start getting into the other vampires, because Rice realised that, like in Highlander, what people want are the flashbacks. Problem is, the books started to get very formulaic once she was doing that.

But I still like the idea, and I read them every so often. :D

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:42 am 
Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:30 am 
Lady Scryer

I heard that she has been writing novels about the life of Jesus? :?

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:17 am 
The UnTitled

That one about the castrati in Venice was pretty good, from what I remember of it.

--A