Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Top Ten Horror Movies
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 3:21 pm 
Master Pilot

When I was a little kid I remember seeing an old movie--and I have no ideal of it's name 2 this day, that was sort of in The Twilight Zone movies format--w/4 different stories. It began with an Airforce jet pilot crashing in a desert, stumbling out of his aircraft and dying. Then very slowly 2 little bumps under the sand crept 2wards him and went in2 his neck and he arose like a Zombie--I can't remember the rest of the movie but it scarred the heck out of me. On TV I've always been a Twilight Zone, Night Gallery and Outer Limits fan. When I was 11 I saw the Outer Limits 4 the 1st time and believed that the space alien blob had REALLY taken over the TV and radio waves and Earth was doomed!
Top Ten Horror Movies:
1. In The Mouth of Madness
2. Nosferatu
3. The Haunting & The Shining
4. Event Horizon
5. The Serpent and the Rainbow
6. Shadow of the Vampire
7. Mary Shelley's Frankenstien (w/DeNiro)
8. Psycho
9. Creature From the Black Lagoon
10. Warlock & Phantasm

Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 5/6/02 6:49:40 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Top Ten Horror Movies
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:07 pm 
Pilot

Well, let's see...

1. Alien
2. The Crow
3. Nosferatu
4. Bram Stoker's Dracula
5. The Abominable Dr. Phibes
6. White Zombie
7. In the Mouth of Madness
8. Braindead
9. The Serpent and the Rainbow
9. Videodrome

This is a vague list. I should see more good movies more than once. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:21 pm 
Master Pilot

The Crow is a VERY cool movie! Great soundtrack! Have u seen Shadow of the Vampire w/Malkovich & DaFoe? I would b very interested in ur opinion, especially from some1 who has seen Nosferatu. BTW--when I mention The Haunting I mean the original not the new 1 w/Liam Nesson. How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/9/02 7:22:47 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:38 pm 
Pilot

I haven't seen Shadow of the Vampire. I depend on public television for my movie experiences and go to cinema only if the movie is very promising. Videos and DVDs are expensive and I haven't bought a player for either of the formats. I have rented a few when I've been at my parents, but the selection is often limited.

What was that last line about? Is it Zindell? I haven't read anything by him. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:46 pm 
Pilot

Oh, it's a signature. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:48 pm 
Master Pilot

Yes that is from Zindell--it's my new sig--Neverness is the best Sci-Fi, indeed the best BOOK period I have ever read--U may also want 2 check out The Lightstone by Zindell it's his 1st Fantasy and begins a very promising trilogy called The Ea Cycle--the 2nd book: The Red Dragon is due out this fall? Publication is delated Dragon will b out spring or summer 2003...And the title Red Dragon has now been changed 2 The Silver Sword as 2 not conflict w/the Hannibal Lecter book and movie. How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/14/02 4:43:04 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:06 pm 
Master Pilot

I loved the movie the Shining! It was great! The planet he saw appeared to have continents that looked surprisingly like Northern Europe and North America. Ransom realized it was Earth he was seeing-Thulcandra, the Silent Planet <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:03 am 
Master Pilot

Lord of Illusion was a scary movie, and The Others was great!--Hey, what was that old movie about the guy who lived under the floorboards? Was it called Crawlspace? Now that movie freaked the heck o/o me!!! And what was that one Sci-Fi about that long, weird "Vampire Death-Ship" orbiting the Moon? I think it began with an N, no mhoram not Nercomancer, but the title's pretty close...
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:14 am 
Pilot

Searching my memory for good horror and borderline horror movies, a few others come to mind.

Flatliners was good. Jacob's Ladder, although it's been a long time since I've watched it, was not bad. If you want to see an interesting SF/horror movie starring a young Dennis Quaid, Dreamscape is more than watchable. It has its obvious weak points (I won't bother to detail them, since they will be obvious on viewing), but it also has some interest.

I watched Day of the Triffids recently (based on the John Wyndam story; see also Children of the Damned, another good one); despite some fairly heavy-handed acting in parts, I enjoyed it.

For those who are okay with silent pictures, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari would be a good next step from Nosferatu. I would also recommend Metropolis (not horror, but since I'm on silent movies at the moment...).

I'm back to drawing blanks. I posted other recommendations on the "Did Ann Rice Kill Horror Movies with a Wrench, a Candlestick or a Revolver" thread.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:31 am 
Master Pilot

I've only seen a handfull of silent movies (Nosferatu, The General, Metropolis, Birth of a Nation, and various comedies) but I've found it's a lot of fun to turn down the accompanying soundtrack, and try to find some of your own music that matches the mood of the movie.

Either one of Portishead's albums, for example, go well with Nosferatu. Ha, I actually did the Nosferatu/Shadow of the Vampire double bill myself, though I didn't care much for Shadow'. The same weekend I rented "Gods and Monsters" and both of James Whale's frankenstein movies.

Oh, guess I should come up with a list to keep the thread on topic:

1. Alien
2. The Others
3. The Thing (Carpenter's version)
4. Bram Stoker's Dracula
5. Psycho
6. Gothic
7. The Hunger
8. Angel Heart
9. The Omen
10. The Exorcist

Of these, I found The Exorcist to be the scariest ... maybe the only movie that ever really scared me.
<i>Edited by: AlphSeeker at: 6/27/03 6:43 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:52 am 
Master Pilot

Hey, danlo, is "Lifeforce" the vampire death ship movie you were thinking of? It was based on Colin Wilson's "The Space Vampires" and came out in the mid-80's. It was a british production, I believe, so it might also go by a different name (for different countries, I mean). <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:27 am 
Master Pilot

Alph----Lifeforce is the exact movie and Angelheart is 1 of my favorite movies!!!! Mickey Rourke is my idol and Robt. DeNiro rules!!!! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/10/03 10:31 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:55 pm 
Pilot

1. The Exorcist
2. The Ring
3. Interview with the Vampire
4. Bram Stoker's Dracula
5. Ringu
6. The Shining
7. Nightmare on Elm Street
8. Pet Semetary
9. Blade
10. Evil Dead 2 <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:26 pm 
Pilot

Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Ressurection are the best horror movies to me when u could see my display picture on msn it is often 'alien' figure :p

There have been rumors of making a fifth alien movie, but now I think the chance becomes bigger it will come, cause ive read some things about it.

What's ur opinion about the alien movies?

I think the in the third and fourth movie they wasted the story a bit but it's still fine. Also a reaction of the director of the second movie
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
James Cameron has been talking about Alien 5 "Hated it (Alien 3). Simple as
that. I hated what they did.... I couldn't stand Alien 3 - how they could
just go in there and kill off all these great characters we introduced in
aliens, and the correlation between mother and daughter. It stunk, but
hopefully I'll get a chance to rectify all that. To an extent. yes. We're
looking at doing another one.
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

So that's al good news for any alien fan <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:03 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm sort of a weirdo in that I actually prefer Alien3 to Aliens, but hey, I'm a big David Fincher fan so I appreciated the asthetic style. I also really liked Charles Dance's performance.

But of course, I'm also a huge Ridley Scott fan, and you gotta give him props for pure originality as well as asthetic style. Bringing in H. R. Geiger was just pure genius. Alien is by far my favorite of the series.

I didn't care for Resurrection when I saw it in the theater for some reason, but I recently rented the DVD and I have to say I think it's actually pretty good. It just has a lot to live up to. <i>Edited by: AlphSeeker at: 10/3/03 3:04 pm
</i>