Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Short Stories
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:33 am 
Pilot

I couldn't find a thread for short horror stories, so I added one. Maybe people could recommend some stories, mentioning something of the premise to guide the rest of us.

I'll just start this off with a few that come immediately to mind.

"Negotium Perambulans" by E.F. Benson, about a fellow who finds a town haunted by the deadly power of a church alterpiece. Also by Benson, "The Horror-Horn", which is about the boogieman of the mountains.

"Rooum" by Oliver Onions. His more frequently anthologies stories include "The Cigarette Case" and "The Fair Beckoning One". I'm actually not sure if I've read "Fair Beckoning" (I blush to confess it), and "Cigarette Case" is excellent, but I especially like "Rooum". It's one of the strangest tales of a haunting that I've ever read; also, a special point of interest is that it concerns working men rather than the usual ghost-ganged wealthy gentleman. This works better than you think.

The next ones may seem obvious choices, but not everyone has read the same stories as me, so I'll mention them anyway: "The Body-Snatchers" and "Markheim" by Robert Louis Stevenson. "Markheim" is about a man who murders and robs a pawnbroker. "The Body-Snatchers" is about...well, um, it's about what you think it's about.

Last but not least, I should make my obligatory mention of Hodgson's two great sea-stories, "The Derelict" and "The Voice in the Night". If you have not read them, you must read them. And you must read them consecutively, with nothing in between. I suggest reading "The Derelict" first, then the other. You must do this.

All these stories can be found on the internet, of course.
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Short Stories
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:56 am 
Pilot

The Lottery comes to mind as a candidate for the most horrifying short story ever written. Be still heart

Hold peace

There is also love in the world.<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:07 pm 
Master Pilot

God I had 4gotten about that! That is one HELL of a scary story!!!!! *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:11 pm 
Lady Scryer

Yes, that might be the most frightening thing I have ever read! ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Perhaps I'll come for you myself some night. You ought to see me...my fur is white now, pale as snow,but the stature, the majesty, the power, those have not left me...We are the direwolves, the nightmares who haunt your racial memories, the dark shapes circling endlessly beyond the light of your fires.~George R.R. Martin<i></i>