Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stephen King
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:21 pm 
Master Pilot

I don't read 2 much by Stephen King, I probably watch his adaptations alot more, I've read Nightwatch, The Shining and The Stand but nothing else. So while u all talk about his books I'll list my top ten adaptations:
1. The Shining
2. The Stand
3. Children of the Corn
4. Firestarter
5. Burnt Offerings
6. Needful Things
7. The Dead Zone
8. Misery
9. Dolores Claireborne
10. Salem's Lot
Cujo: 2 gory! Christine: lame! It: Clowns--2 scary had 2 shut It off--nice shots of Annette O'Toole, tho... How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Stephen King
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:13 am 
Master Pilot

I always thought King's Made-For-TV movies were always better than the movies done on his books. Perhaps, it's because the TV movies are usually spread out over a number of nights, and get better treatment (exceptions: The Langoliers and The Tommyknockers).
Favorite books are It, The Stand, Salem's Lot, and the novella (my all time favorite) The Mist. I read these four over and over; the others get read once, and in most cases, sold.
Terrific horror writer and probably a really nice guy. Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/7/03 5:12 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:24 pm 
Pilot

I think the best King movies I have seen are Pet Sematary and Carrie. Pet Sematary is also one of my favorite King novels, as is The Shining, regarding to the movie adaption of which I'm in the minority thinking that it butchered the book. The miniseries isn't all that great either but I think it's better than the movie.

Another great-book-turned-terrible-movie is IMHO Needful Things. It starts as a valiant but doomed attempt to film a complex and well-nigh unfilmable book on a shoestring budget and little talent, but terrible political correctness starts to come to the surface in the middle of the movie when they didn't dare having a young boy commit suicide like in the book and succeed. (Gasp!) It goes downhill from there. I'm still angry at whoever funded the movie... adaptation... thing. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:16 pm 
Master Pilot

I totally 4got about Carrie! dang! I kno the movie The Shining is no where near the book but I'm a total Jack Nicholson freak can't help it! Needful Things, apparently, is a book I need 2 read... How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:58 pm 
Pilot

The Stand
Salem's Lot
Tommy Knockers
The Mist
This all ties in with my fear that some government is going to do something exremely stupid some day. Then we will all be dodging giant reptiles or sneeze ourselves to death.
Innsmouth Lady <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:44 am 
Pilot

I find his writing to be rather dull, but I did enjoy the books It and Misery.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:49 pm 
Master Pilot

It - I read the whole book in three days. Had one 14 hr sitting - missed work!!! Couldn't put it down. IT scared the b'jeebers outta me!!!!!!

The Stand was an excellent read & better TV movie. Scifi channel was showing for a while about every 4 weeks it seems!! <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:56 am 
Master Pilot

Boo NBC horrible job in remaking Carrie! No 1 can top Sissy in the role! It's like getting Anna Nicole Smith 2 play Dolores Claireborne. I will say that ABC's Shining miniseries probed alot more interesting stuff in the Shining than the movie--but there's alot more u can do in 8 hrs as compared 2 2 or 2 and 1/2 hrs...
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:58 am 
Master Pilot

We went 2 our friends Charlie and Syd's house 4 an Xmas party last weekend. No, not the same Charlie who has played Bridge w/SRD. He had every Stephen King book ever written in hardbound---I was impressed!!!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/14/02 6:59:04 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:26 pm 
Master Pilot

I've never read King, but I've seen Salem's Lot, and the Shining is one of my favorite movies! Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:18 pm 
Master Pilot

Any1 read Dreamcather? The movie's about 2 come out and the clips look totally cool! I love Morgan Freeman (outstanding in The Bone Collector & Kiss the Girls)! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Stephen King and National Book Foundation
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:35 pm 
Master Pilot

In September it was announced that Stephen King would be awarded the National Book Foundation's Distinguished Contribution of American Letters award. www.nationalbook.org Past winners of this award have included Eudora Welty, Ray Bradbury, Toni Morrison, Studs Terkel, Arthur Miller.

However, when the award was announced, Harold Bloom, a Yale professor and literary critic, said "That they (presuming he means the Foundation's awards committee) could believe that there is any literary value or any aesthetic accomplishment or signs of inventive human intelligence is simply testimony to their own idiocy" His comments on the Foundation's selection, and his comments are regarding his opinion of Mr King's body of work. My source for this quote is Ansible David Langford's e-zine www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/SF-Archives/Ansible/

Now one may ask who is Harold Bloom, anyway. (Hafta admit myself prior to this quote, I was only real fuzzy on who he was) Mr. Bloom is a critical writer best known for emphasis on teaching and reading the classics of literature (for example, Dante, Shakespeare, Chaucer, etc.) taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:53 pm 
Pilot

I bought Rose Red on DVD a while ago.
Visit The Spammer' Refuge:
Dedicated to ezgames!~Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam~<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:36 pm 
Pilot

I think the best film adaptations of King include:
--The Dead Zone
--Carrie (the original)
--The Shawshank Redemption
--Dolores Claibourne
--Misery

His best adapted miniseries are:
--The Shining
--The Stand (better than the book, imo)

I also quite enjoyed two of his three original miniseries:
--Storm of the Century
--Rose Red

Frankly, I was disappointed with the following films/miniseries:
--Salem's Lot (glad to hear there's a remake on its way)
--IT
--Pet Semetary
--Tommy Knockers
--Needful Things
--Night Flyer

Notice there's a bunch I'm not even mentioning, either because they are too horrible or just haven't seen'em yet. But I should mention how hugely impressed I remain with his series The Dark Tower. "O let my name be in the Book of Love; if it be there I care
Not of the other great book above. Strike it out!
Or write it in anew. But let my name be in the Book of Love!"
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:46 am 
Pilot

Wow! Y'all got a lot of new smileys!

*The Dark Tower is one branch of my holy trinity of fantasy fiction. The other two being TCTC and LOTR. Honestly, I think TDT is my favorite, although I haven't yet read Martin or Zindell.

*I am working on my hardback SK collection. I'm only lacking about half a dozen. My husband thinks I'm crazy 'cause I recently bought the first four Dark Tower books in the re-printed hardback format, even though I already had them in trade paperback. I'm a bit of a collector.

*favorite movie adaptations:

The Shawshank Redemption
Dolores Claiborne
Carrie
The Shining
Cat's Eye
Stand By Me
Firestarter
Storm of the Century (original screenplay)

Tried to keep it short. King is one of my geekdoms (there are a few.) I could talk King all night. Be still heart

Hold peace

There is also love in the world.<i></i>